Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Compass or street captain at PSA

35RSLC
05-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Hey guys,

A bit of background about myself: I'm a FO with shuttle America based out of JFK (E-145). I've been here for just over 2 years and while my experience has not been as bad as some of my fellow RAH have had it, I'm ready to pull the cord and make that lateral move.

The main reason I'm thinking about leaving RAH is my commute to JFK. It's true that they say commuting is a pilot's worse nightmare. I live in the west coast and although there are 5-6 daily directs to JFK from where I live, I honestly can't see it in me to do this for much longer.

So I have 2 interviews coming up with compass and PSA (street captain) and I'm trying to get a bit of help from those who work for these companies. (Assuming I get an offer from both companies)

I have gotten some conflicting information about PSA's street captain deal. Rumor has it that even if hired as a street captain, you will be paid as a first year FO until your fed ride is completed. Also, once that's done, you'll be flying the right seat until you reach 100 hours in the CRJ. Additionally, although the commute to any of the PSA's bases would be pain in the behind, I think I will have the required motivation to do it, if I'm being paid at the captain rate. But at the FO rate, it would be extremely hard to justify it for myself.

As for compass, I have always wanted to work for them. I feel they are one of the most respected pilot groups with a good reputation. However, word has it that LAX is no longer a guarantee (well there's never guarantee but pretty much all new hires were going to LAX up until recently). So for those who work for compass, what is the likelyhood of getting LAX right of the bat? What is the projected upgrade time at the moment for those who meet the 121 requirements? How's life on reserve at compass? Do you guys use long call reserve and if so, how long would it take for a new hire to be able to get long call reserve ? Are reserves used frequently (this is huge for me since as a commuter, I'd rather be working than being at the crash pad)? What's the story with compass not having zed fares (read it somewhere here)

thanks for reading and I look forward to the constructive feedbacks :D

Realtalk
05-29-2015, 07:20 AM
Please go to compass. Commuting on rsv to clt for eternity? Yeah no thanks. Compass living on the west coast is the best choice. Don't think past that trust me

TalkTurkey
05-29-2015, 07:21 AM
pSA equals reserve for a long time since the senior FOs are approaching their 1000 mark. Training will take you a total of no less than 6 months due to loads of downtime and they are experiencing a training bubble that's fixinna burst.

Compass equals being at home. Can't see the reason behind this inquiry.

35RSLC
05-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Captain at PSA or FO at compass. That's the biggest reason behind my question. But assuming upgrade time at compass is reasonable, that could change everything

Realtalk
05-29-2015, 07:25 AM
Captain at PSA or FO at compass. That's the biggest reason behind my question. But assuming upgrade time at compass is reasonable, that could change everything

Upgrade time is Redonkulous at compass. Aka less than a year, heaven forbid you'd have to spend sometime learning how to actually fly the plane you'll one day be in command of.

Plus coming from a 145 it's probably similar

FirstClass
05-29-2015, 07:28 AM
Hey guys,

A bit of background about myself: I'm a FO with shuttle America based out of JFK (E-145). I've been here for just over 2 years and while my experience has not been as bad as some of my fellow RAH have had it, I'm ready to pull the cord and make that lateral move.

The main reason I'm thinking about leaving RAH is my commute to JFK. It's true that they say commuting is a pilot's worse nightmare. I live in the west coast and although there are 5-6 daily directs to JFK from where I live, I honestly can't see it in me to do this for much longer.

So I have 2 interviews coming up with compass and PSA (street captain) and I'm trying to get a bit of help from those who work for these companies. (Assuming I get an offer from both companies)

I have gotten some conflicting information about PSA's street captain deal. Rumor has it that even if hired as a street captain, you will be paid as a first year FO until your fed ride is completed. Also, once that's done, you'll be flying the right seat until you reach 100 hours in the CRJ. Additionally, although the commute to any of the PSA's bases would be pain in the behind, I think I will have the required motivation to do it, if I'm being paid at the captain rate. But at the FO rate, it would be extremely hard to justify it for myself.

As for compass, I have always wanted to work for them. I feel they are one of the most respected pilot groups with a good reputation. However, word has it that LAX is no longer a guarantee (well there's never guarantee but pretty much all new hires were going to LAX up until recently). So for those who work for compass, what is the likelyhood of getting LAX right of the bat? What is the projected upgrade time at the moment for those who meet the 121 requirements? How's life on reserve at compass? Do you guys use long call reserve and if so, how long would it take for a new hire to be able to get long call reserve ? Are reserves used frequently (this is huge for me since as a commuter, I'd rather be working than being at the crash pad)? What's the story with compass not having zed fares (read it somewhere here)

thanks for reading and I look forward to the constructive feedbacks :D

It sounds to me that you are narrowing your choice down on a decision between $$$ and not commuting.

I would start by examining the primary reason for your departure from shuttle, as you stated its the commute. Jumping ship to PSA as a captain for more money is not going to alleviate the pain of your current predicament.

Living on the west coast has got to be a real drag commuting. But at least in NY I would imagine your commuting options are better than say PSA in CLT.

If it was me, I would be looking to join a west coast regional if you are not willing to move to base.

I don't know how your schedule is today being there for two years but I would imagine you are going to lose 2 days off per month making a switch anywhere.

TalkTurkey
05-29-2015, 07:30 AM

Captain at Scumbag airline hated by the industry and disliked at airports nationwide, or compass, known for above-average airmanship, most adored aircraft by passenger comfort, great place to work and being home. There's no argument dude, it's so simple. Write to Valerie or whatever her PSA name is, and tell her no thanks?

35RSLC
05-29-2015, 07:36 AM
It sounds to me that you are narrowing your choice down on a decision between $$$ and not commuting.

I would start by examining the primary reason for your departure from shuttle, as you stated its the commute. Jumping ship to PSA as a captain for more money is not going to alleviate the pain of your current predicament.

Living on the west coast has got to be a real drag commuting. But at least in NY I would imagine your commuting options are better than say PSA in CLT.

If it was me, I would be looking to join a west coast regional if you are not willing to move to base.

I don't know how your schedule is today being there for two years but I would imagine you are going to lose 2 days off per month making a switch anywhere.

Thanks for the reply. Believe it or not, after 2 years at RAH, I'm back on reserve with 11 days off a month. Either delta or RAH decided to shift our flying back from JFK to LGA and that has caused me to go back on reserve. You would think 2 years is enough to to get 13-14 days off a month a regional but at RAH, unless you're on the 170, that doesn't really apply.

Utah
05-29-2015, 07:37 AM
How much longer till an upgrade at Shuttle America?

3inthegreen
05-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Remember if you go to PSA as a DEC you will eventually down the road be displaced back to right seat. AAG will find a way to do it, no way they will pay two captain rates to fly a CRJ 900.

35RSLC
05-29-2015, 07:42 AM
How much longer till an upgrade at Shuttle America?

Well, who knows :). The problem at shuttle is not the lack of airplanes for upgrading. But it is the lack of new hires. You gotta get fresh faces in to upgrade your existing FOs. If I had to guess, I'd say between a year and half to 2 years. Give or take a few months on either side. A year and halfish is more likely, 2 being conservative

FirstClass
05-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the reply. Believe it or not, after 2 years at RAH, I'm back on reserve with 11 days off a month. Either delta or RAH decided to shift our flying back from JFK to LGA and that has caused me to go back on reserve.

I'm hearing the same type of thing in Miami.

Realtalk
05-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Where on the west coast will you be commuting from? Compass is still adding a bunch of new planes. Look over at the compass pages for details

35RSLC
05-29-2015, 07:54 AM
Where on the west coast will you be commuting from? Compass is still adding a bunch of new planes. Look over at the compass pages for details

SLC.

SLC-LAX seems to be a very doable commute from what I have seen. But to DTW or MSP, it would be a disaster (probably worse than commute to JFK given the number of Skywest and DL guys commuting).

AluminumFoil
05-29-2015, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure where you're getting your info on Compass bases... LAX is guaranteed with Seattle very obtainable within a month or 2. O and then there is MSP which is better than CLT, DAY or TYS.

Just saw your post above, looks like you need to do more research as DTW is long gone.

35RSLC
05-29-2015, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure where you're getting your info on Compass bases... LAX is guaranteed with Seattle very obtainable within a month or 2. O and then there is MSP which is better than CLT, DAY or TYS.

Just saw your post above, looks like you need to do more research as DTW is long gone.
Will do,
I guess seeing the number of compass planes in DTW made me think it was still a crew base. I have heard of SEA opening in June (not sure if it already has or not) but even SEA, would be a much better commute compare to what I do right now.

Thanks for the reply (if you work for compass, I would greatly appreciate if you could answer my questions about life on reserve).

Gjn290
05-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Will do,
I guess seeing the number of compass planes in DTW made me think it was still a crew base. I have heard of SEA opening in June (not sure if it already has or not) but even SEA, would be a much better commute compare to what I do right now.

Thanks for the reply (if you work for compass, I would greatly appreciate if you could answer my questions about life on reserve).

What's reserve?

tennisguru
05-29-2015, 08:24 AM
Training will take you a total of no less than 6 months due to loads of downtime and they are experiencing a training bubble that's fixinna burst.

There is no down time for captain training. From day 1 of class to finishing IOE is no more than a month and a half for people already here. Starting as a street captain will obviously be longer since you have to do all the indoc stuff just like other new hires. They need captains and are doing everything in their power to get them to the line ASAP.

As far as pay, you will get FO pay until you pass your sim checkride, not your fed ride as someone else said. You will get continuous per diem for the ~4 weeks you are in DAY for ground and ~2 weeks wherever you do sims.

Having said that, if commuting is that big of a deal, stick with something west coast. You'll make more money at PSA as a street captain, and of course build 121 time, but the commute will be pretty brutal, especially if you can't hold CLT right off the bat and have to two-leg it to TYS or DAY.

pagey
05-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Remember if you go to PSA as a DEC you will eventually down the road be displaced back to right seat. AAG will find a way to do it, no way they will pay two captain rates to fly a CRJ 900.

The only way an FO gets paid captain pay is if he gets bypassed on a vacancy bid that he was qualified, and bid for.

This is self correcting because as soon as there is a vacancy bid you get captain anyway.

There won't be any displacements.

All this being said, I'd have a real hard time recommending someone come here as a street captain. Reserve will be LONG. Reserve at PSA is a hell I cannot describe in just a few sentences.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

cal555
05-29-2015, 08:47 AM
There is no doubt that you will be holding LAX at Compass right out of training, everyone is assigned there first. The good news is SLC - LAX commute is easy. I'm friends with several CPZ guys who do it already, and have no problems. Good luck!

Realtalk
05-29-2015, 08:49 AM
Between sea/lax and SLC there is what 10 flights a day. SLC and CLT? Two. Not to mention you could get based in tys/day. Then forget about having a life.

Chasing the pic/money sounds good until you realize what you're giving up. Best of luck, anything is a step above rah based in JFK though.

chrisreedrules
05-29-2015, 08:56 AM
I work at PSA and if I were you I would just go to Compass. Screw commuting across the country. And at Compass you will likely upgrade in a year's time anyway.

johnson48
05-29-2015, 09:27 AM
35RSLC....check pm's

DETSports
05-29-2015, 09:41 AM
I work at PSA and if I were you I would just go to Compass. Screw commuting across the country. And at Compass you will likely upgrade in a year's time anyway.

What he said...

MitchRapp
05-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Captain at Scumbag airline hated by the industry and disliked at airports nationwide, or compass, known for above-average airmanship, most adored aircraft by passenger comfort, great place to work and being home. There's no argument dude, it's so simple. Write to Valerie or whatever her PSA name is, and tell her no thanks?

Just curious what this means exactly...

FirstClass
05-29-2015, 10:42 AM

He's been drinking.

N927EV
05-29-2015, 10:49 AM
It's a no brainier, if you live on the west coast go to compass. I'm sure you'll upgrade I a year or so anyway and they seem to expanding on the west coast.

RyanP
05-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Compass. No brainer. Upgrade is fast enough anyway

I commuted West to East coast for a reserve CA seat for over a year and it was absolutely miserable. Zero QOL. Very Minimal days off wasted commuting 5+ hour flights, time zones changes make it 10x worse. Not even remotely worth the money when the upgrade is that quick at Compass anyway. Plus PSA is the pariah of the industry.

FirstClass
05-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Plus PSA is the pariah of the industry.

F*ck yeah we are :)

gatorbuc99
05-29-2015, 01:45 PM
I work at PSA, no way I'd recommend you doing the DEC thing here. Has nothing to do with either of these falsehoods: 1) you won't get displaced to FO, 2) these internet tough guys won't bully you in the corner bathroom at the airport because you work for the scum of the industry...LOLOL. My recommendation has everything to do with 1) commuting cross country, which sounds like you've been doing and good grief, I don't know HOW you've been doing it and 2) you'd be a reserve CA at PSA for a VERY.LONG.TIME

Dunkin
05-29-2015, 02:04 PM
If you want an easier commute go to Compass. If you really want to go to AA look at PDT and Envoy. If you really want to be a captain and make more money go to PSA.

Snickers
05-29-2015, 07:22 PM
If you want an easier commute go to Compass. If you really want to go to AA look at PDT and Envoy. If you really want to be a captain and make more money go to PSA.

marginally more money seeing as how out most Jr fo was hired 11/25/14. Not worth commuting cross country imho....

Snickers
05-29-2015, 07:27 PM

As a Compass pilot, I chuckled at the same thing. I think he may be referring to the experience level of pilots we usually hire? I really hope he doesn't mean our pilots are better than other pilots....

EuroMexPilot
05-31-2015, 06:52 AM
As a Compass pilot, I chuckled at the same thing. I think he may be referring to the experience level of pilots we usually hire? I really hope he doesn't mean our pilots are better than other pilots....

Heck ya we are... Bunch of Chuck Yeagers we are!!
:-P

Sliceback
05-31-2015, 07:08 AM
How about moving? Life is much easier living in base.

Are you planning on staying at the new job? Or are you positioning yourself to improve your resume? If it's a resume improvement decision project your resume/careers for the next five years at your current job vs. Compass vs. PSA. When do you get 500 hrs TPIC? 1000 hrs TPIC? What's your TT when you reach those gates? Do you have a college degree? If not when will you get one? How does that achievement intersection with your flying TT/TPIC resume dates?

Are you pursuing other activities/goals that will improve your resume? When will they be accomplished? How does that interact with your career/resume projections at the three different jobs?

Cujo665
05-31-2015, 07:34 AM

I think getting to AA quicker gets you much more money over your lifetime. PSA CA would get you less than new hire AA pay, and would never even touch second year group II pay.

If the idea is to just fly with as little stress as possible, and apply throgh ther front door for any legacy then the easiest commute is the answer tot he question. If having a real backup plan for a guaranteed flow to a real job is at all important, then PDT and ENY are the best choices. If he's a left coast resident, then ENY is his anyswer.

It all depends on many factors. For example, age. An older person may not be as interested in flow, as in getting to the left seat and not having to commute. Having done both, commuting and living in base; I can say without a doubt that living in base makes this a completely different job.

He needs to decide his priorities and career objectives.

Things could change at PSA overnight. I see them using AA flow as major recruiting tool for all three WO's at AAG. They will eventually have to improve the deal at PSA.

Realtalk
05-31-2015, 07:44 AM
I think getting to AA quicker gets you much more money over your lifetime. PSA CA would get you less than new hire AA pay, and would never even touch second year group II pay.

If the idea is to just fly with as little stress as possible, and apply throgh ther front door for any legacy then the easiest commute is the answer tot he question. If having a real backup plan for a guaranteed flow to a real job is at all important, then PDT and ENY are the best choices. If he's a left coast resident, then ENY is his anyswer.

It all depends on many factors. For example, age. An older person may not be as interested in flow, as in getting to the left seat and not having to commute. Having done both, commuting and living in base; I can say without a doubt that living in base makes this a completely different job.

He needs to decide his priorities and career objectives.

Things could change at PSA overnight. I see them using AA flow as major recruiting tool for all three WO's at AAG. They will eventually have to improve the deal at PSA.

Let's look at the question. Compass or psa? Cujos "anyswer" is eny!
Hmmm...easier for a left coast? What crack rock world do you live in. maybe when you had an lax base.

MPILOT
05-31-2015, 02:58 PM
What are the direct entry captain minimums??? Tried the PSA website and could not find any job post for DEC.