Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Flight Schools in NY

IslandjetX
06-03-2015, 10:41 AM
I was just wondering if there are any good (and affordable) flight schools in the NY area? Preferably in Long Island or at most 1 hour drive away from Brooklyn at most.

bedrock
06-03-2015, 11:40 AM
I was just wondering if there are any good (and affordable) flight schools in the NY area? Preferably in Long Island or at most 1 hour drive away from Brooklyn at most.

You can try this directory:

AOPA Flight Training - Flight School Directory (http://flighttraining.aopa.org/learntofly/school/flight_schools/)

yeahbutstill
06-03-2015, 12:28 PM
I believe there's a flight school out in Farmingdale LI which is about 2 hours from Brooklyn then there are a few more out by Morristown NJ which is about an hour from Brooklyn; however, the tolls between Brooklyn and NJ are ridiculous.

I know American Flyers out of Morristown is WAY too expensive so I would look at other options in the area.

flyviper
06-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Farmingdale has a few flight school, Farmingdale state college has a degree program as well.

Brooklyn
06-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Hello all,
I was looking to start my working towards this summer (just graduated high school), can anyone recommend some good flight schools in farmingdale that are not that expensive? Also, do any of them have a work-study program (i.e. refuling and washing planes in exchange for flight hours)?

thepesimist
07-19-2017, 06:54 PM
I studied in ny so I could help you. Best option would be republic airport. 1 hour drive belt and southern state parkway. Find a good instructor from positive rate gear up. I know a guy who use to instruct me so if you want his contact let me know. Finish your private pilot then look for a friend at republic who is at same stage of training as you are and split cost building time for commercial and instrument. Pm me if you need more information.

dera
07-19-2017, 10:34 PM
I studied in ny so I could help you. Best option would be republic airport. 1 hour drive belt and southern state parkway. Find a good instructor from positive rate gear up. I know a guy who use to instruct me so if you want his contact let me know. Finish your private pilot then look for a friend at republic who is at same stage of training as you are and split cost building time for commercial and instrument. Pm me if you need more information.

Positive rate gear up told me they don't want white people (in those words). Pretty obvious from their website. Just something to consider.

thepesimist
07-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Unbelievable meaning I don't believe it. They wouldn't have taken me then if that is true. There are mostly black people from the islands doing training there but there are many white students also. Haven't been there since commercial (now working on cfii) but I know the owner Mark and he's a phenomenally nice so don't really believe what you said.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1