Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Shortage of Flight Instructors ?

MetalGear
06-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Hello Everyone

Of late I am seeing numerous ads for flight instructors and couple of schools are even willing to pay for training

Are flight schools in the U.S really a facing a shortage of flight instructors ?

JohnBurke
06-04-2015, 08:25 PM
No, they're not.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-91-low-time/87090-cfi-jobs-becoming-pyramid-scheme.html

Cloudnine
06-04-2015, 10:48 PM
I'm fairly confident that there is actually a GLUT of pilot applicants for positions that hire below 600 hrs. It's a highly competitive field from the get-go.

doublerjay
06-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Hello Everyone

Of late I am seeing numerous ads for flight instructors and couple of schools are even willing to pay for training

Are flight schools in the U.S really a facing a shortage of flight instructors ?

Not yet, but were getting there.
But really, it depends on who you ask and the location also.
Some areas of the country are fairly saturated and some areas are begging for instructors.
Is there a shortage? No not really. I think what we are seeing are the "academy" style schools with regional "ties" are offering bridging programs. Come to our school, become an instructor, we'll help you get your ATP, and go to your regional of choice.

blaquehawk99
06-06-2015, 02:19 PM
CFI Shortage....hold on a sec....BAM!!!

Flight Instructor Job and Training - No Cost CFI-A (http://epicflightacademy.com/flight-instructor-training-at-no-cost-domestic-students/)

Maybe there is maybe there isn't. But coast to coast flight schools are offering everything from free room and board to sign on bonuses. If you're free to move about the country then you can have (for now) your choice of who has the best offer. If you're geographically bound to an area saturated with CFI's, like Colorado, then it's going to seem like there are no jobs at all.

MIG15
06-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Something smells fishy with that add. Anybody checked it out?

Jato
06-07-2015, 03:21 PM
school is real, I had an interview but opted out for personal reasons. 6 month contract for that deal seems reasonable to me. If I had to flight instruct I'd probably go there with nice G1000 cessnas and high student load.

Cloudnine
06-08-2015, 02:28 AM
school is real, I had an interview but opted out for personal reasons. 6 month contract for that deal seems reasonable to me. If I had to flight instruct I'd probably go there with nice G1000 cessnas and high student load.

Was that interview recent ?
they told me they would call but no word yet :/
I have my AGI already. I Wonder what they're looking for ?

doublerjay
06-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Something smells fishy with that add. Anybody checked it out?

Nothing too fishy, just your standard sign a contract for us to apply...

Requirements

-Commercial Pilot Single Engine Land (FAA)- Required to apply
- At least a third class medical certificate (FAA)
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Available Full Time during Course
- Available to work Full Time without restriction following course
- Able to sign 6-month agreement to work for Epic following course
- Able to pay FAA Examiner (DPE) fees
- Able to provide own transportation to and from Epic with minimal delay.

Jato
06-09-2015, 01:33 PM
It was about 2 ish weeks ago but I have CFI/II, and I applied before they were offering that. Seems like a good deal 6 months for cfi, normally runs what 5k +? I'd recommend at least get your written done before you get there. At least no FOI for ya. Good luck!!!

Tippy
06-09-2015, 08:27 PM
i know we are really hurting for CFIs in the Northwest. My bosses have asked us to spread the word they will hire anyone to walk in the door with a CFI-A only and they can get the II later. AGI/IGI also not required! some people say the pilot shortage is bogus, it has been talked about for 20 years but i feel this is the beginning. When some majors have dropped their requirements for a bachelors degree and near historical low hourly requirements, and regionals are taking people with 25 hour multi time one has to think that there is a bit of desperation.

Cloudnine
06-10-2015, 01:23 AM
It was about 2 ish weeks ago but I have CFI/II, and I applied before they were offering that. Seems like a good deal 6 months for cfi, normally runs what 5k +? I'd recommend at least get your written done before you get there. At least no FOI for ya. Good luck!!!
Thanks man your good luck worked,
I Got the call finally ,woohoo ! im praying for this to come through.

Flightcap
06-10-2015, 05:57 AM
Central Ohio region is hurting for instructors at all levels right now. Most flight clubs and schools are down about 25% from what they would consider optimum staffing.

Source: Instructor at a major 141 school in Central Ohio, friends at flight clubs in the region.

kingsnake2
06-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Texas is the same (work at US Aviation Academy which is hiring as always).

NJAXRated
06-10-2015, 06:37 AM
i know we are really hurting for CFIs in the Northwest. My bosses have asked us to spread the word they will hire anyone to walk in the door with a CFI-A only and they can get the II later. AGI/IGI also not required! some people say the pilot shortage is bogus, it has been talked about for 20 years but i feel this is the beginning. When some majors have dropped their requirements for a bachelors degree and near historical low hourly requirements, and regionals are taking people with 25 hour multi time one has to think that there is a bit of desperation.
Where in the northwest are you? Been thinking about getting back into instructing on the side.

tall guy
06-10-2015, 08:43 AM
I heard that US Aviation Academy in Denton Tx flew a personal record for the amount of flight hours combined as an academy so far for the month of June. Amazing.

kingsnake2
06-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Yep, about 2700 for the first week of June and we are already well over 3000 for the month.

tall guy
06-10-2015, 12:37 PM
WOW!!! 3000 hours for the month! I wonder what the average instructor is logging on numbers like that? I would love to have apart of that action!

kingsnake2
06-11-2015, 05:40 AM
WOW!!! 3000 hours for the month! I wonder what the average instructor is logging on numbers like that? I would love to have apart of that action!
You can call us up any time and ask for Erica Cassady, our recruiter. I'm sure she could tell you all about joining the team and hours instructors are getting.

mpet
06-12-2015, 12:01 AM
UND is short instructors. I stayed until I had about 1150 dual given, taught everything and did stage checks for private/instrument/commercial and initial CFI courses, I start at a regional this month. If an instructor even bothers to stick around to 750 dual given (Many leave for 135 SIC, etc), 2/3rds of that time is spent on contract students... so an instructor barely spends 250 hours on American students... many of who may either a) stop their training b) are doing it to meet requirements of a major and have no intent to get CFI certs c) do become instructors but don't instruct at UND.

There's a major shortage, even during this 'summer session' when enrollment numbers pale in comparison to what we see in the Fall/Spring. We're so short we forced the majority of contract students who typically train 6 days a week onto a 3 day a week schedule.