Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Solo?

Stets656
06-20-2015, 03:01 PM
What is it like to solo in comparison to flying with an instructor. I find training with an instructor to not be super exhilarating but I feel that when I first solo it will be a dream come true. Thoughts?

N9373M
06-20-2015, 03:45 PM
You're so absorbed not trying to kill yourself or ding the plane, it's just doing what you were trained to do. The good feelings come later - and it's awesome.

Training is not supposed to be exhilarating, you're learning (drinking from a fire hose). i.e. Calculus never really made me tingly.

Pre-solo advice my CFII gave me was, "if things don't feel right, go around and try again, or leave the pattern for a few minutes and come back. (Although I'd probably would have gotten lost :)

It was an rural uncontrolled field, so I chuckled and relaxed a bit when I saw him taking a leak at the departure end of the runway.

good luck!

Stets656
06-21-2015, 05:06 AM
Did u find flight training to be a bit boring until your first solo?

Speedbird67V
06-21-2015, 06:14 AM
It was an rural uncontrolled field, so I chuckled and relaxed a bit when I saw him taking a leak at the departure end of the runway.

good luck!
Congrats on always finding your way home. I actually have a nuclear power plant about 1 mile southwest of the airport to always get me home.

Nextlife
06-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Did u find flight training to be a bit boring until your first solo?

If you find dual flight training boring, it might be time to try a different instructor who makes it fun. I've had boring and fun instructors, all competent, but I looked forward to, and flew better with, the fun ones.

Stets656
06-21-2015, 11:45 AM
I don't think it's the instructor, I just don't get excited before going to the airport when I have a lesson scheduled. I feel like I will have a lot more fun and start enjoying aviation a lot more once I start soloing and doing things on my own. Would you agree with this? Were you guys like this when you did your flight training?

say again
06-21-2015, 12:53 PM
I loved it from day one!

Stets656
06-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Should all pilots be like that? Or is it typical to question your passion for it?

Greg Bockelman
06-21-2015, 01:25 PM
Everyone is different. Give it a chance.

Having said that, in order to make it as a professional, you pretty much need to have a passion for it. If you don't, you won't make it through all the hoops it seems you have to jump through.

Stets656
06-21-2015, 01:31 PM

Having said that, in order to make it as a professional, you pretty much need to have a passion for it. If you don't, you won't make it through all that is needed to make it.

Having said that, in order to make it as a professional, you pretty much need to have a passion for it. If you don't, you won't make it through all that is needed to make it.

What are some signs that one does have a passion for it? And when would be the appropriate time to discontinue training due to the fact that one just doesn't like it?

Nextlife
06-21-2015, 01:39 PM
If you don't like it now, you probably never will. I liked it from the start and any flying training you will do to be a professional, be it military, airlines or even CFI, takes a lot of work. A lot of the hours of study and chair flying it takes to get through it down right suck, to be honest. If you don't like the easiest part of the training (pre-solo private), you likely won't like the follow on phases which only get harder.

Greg Bockelman
06-21-2015, 02:36 PM
What are some signs that one does have a passion for it? And when would be the appropriate time to discontinue training due to the fact that one just doesn't like it?

I think you are starting to answer your own questions. If you find you "just don't like it" that is the time to quit.

Frankly I don't think you have given it a chance yet. See what happens after you solo and then make a decision.

galaxy flyer
06-21-2015, 03:10 PM
stets656,

If you have to ask, you ain't never gonna know.

GF

PRS Guitars
06-22-2015, 07:17 AM
What is it like to solo in comparison to flying with an instructor. I find training with an instructor to not be super exhilarating but I feel that when I first solo it will be a dream come true. Thoughts?

Soloing was awesome compared to flying with an instructor. My first solo in a 152 reminded me of when I was 15 and took my mom's car out for illegal joy rides.

I also still vividly remember the first time I walked up to an F-16C (as opposed to the D "family model") for my first flight in it. It was the coolest thing that this jet had only one seat and it was for me.

Every time I fly solo (unfortunately, rare these days) I feel very fortunate, and it reminds me of why I do this. Don't get me wrong, I love my Airline gig now.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1