Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Dual Rated Corporate Jobs

60flyer
06-25-2015, 08:13 AM
Hello all. I'm new to the forum here as I am currently making a transition into fixed-wing. Just looking for advice from anybody that is currently plugged into the dual rated corporate market. I'm a prior Army helicopter guy with about 2000 hours helicopter (blackhawk and robinson time) and 300 fixed wing (enough to get hired into a regional). In about three years I anticipate having roughly 2000 turbo prop and or RJ time with dual ATP's and at minimum a two year aviation degree. Will that more or less be the resume the dual corporate industry looks for? Any advice or pointers will be appreciated. Thanks

BPWI
06-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Typically if you are working in a Dual-Rated outfit, you are flying a primary. In your case, i'd imagine you would be transitioned into the helo and be used in a limited capacity flying the fixed wing aircraft. Most departments dont have you flip-flopping on a daily schedule. The NE is full of them, i'd start my search there. Good luck-

F224
06-25-2015, 12:27 PM
You might consider looking at the larger EMS operators. They typically have both types and you can work your way into the fixed wing side of the house with your background.

badtransam97
06-25-2015, 02:35 PM
I am in at the same boat as OP, its tough if you don't want to live in the large cities..I have not found a whole lot. There are a few construction companies near me who have both, but they seem to never hire pilots without the good ole boy network lol..

Junglejett
06-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Keep both skill sets up. I have a close friend who works for a major energy company and flies both...which I think is the perfect gig!

DustoffVT
06-26-2015, 06:26 AM
Hello all. I'm new to the forum here as I am currently making a transition into fixed-wing. Just looking for advice from anybody that is currently plugged into the dual rated corporate market. I'm a prior Army helicopter guy with about 2000 hours helicopter (blackhawk and robinson time) and 300 fixed wing (enough to get hired into a regional). In about three years I anticipate having roughly 2000 turbo prop and or RJ time with dual ATP's and at minimum a two year aviation degree. Will that more or less be the resume the dual corporate industry looks for? Any advice or pointers will be appreciated. Thanks

If you're ok with the southern border/PR, CBP will be looking for dual rated pilots for a long time, many retirements coming. Plusses and minuses to this job, for sure - but it's a way to keep your service going and get something for all your active duty time.

60flyer
06-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the reply's. It seems to be an interesting market out there for the few of us dual ATP guys. From the research I've done, 60-70k to start isn't really worth it I'm afraid. At that, I think you're better off picking one and sticking with it. CBP sounds interesting. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Stihlsaw
06-27-2015, 04:41 AM
I have a friend/former workmate who now works for a large operator in the NE with both rotary and fixed wing. They keep the two sides completely seperate

NoSidNoStar
06-30-2015, 04:53 AM

Don't worry, by then you will be marketable for a major.

badtransam97
06-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Looks like CBP has the hiring window open for dual rated pilots.

Joebootx
07-04-2015, 05:40 PM
I'll chime in as a dual rated corporate pilot for one of those "construction companies". I was hired like the others have said as a helo pilot then moved over since I had the airplane ratings already (I'm a high time helicopter pilot 20 yrs). The good ol boy system is tough to crack but actually this company used a hiring agency to find me so sign up for all of them. A word of caution with flying both is twice as much work for usually the same pay so be careful what you pursue. NE is where the jobs are like the others have said for sk76/aw139/jet dual jobs, but if I were you with the background/age you say. Airlines all the way. Good luck and fly safe.

badtransam97
07-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Funny I commented about those "construction companies" as I just had an unexpected interview with one today. What is the typical pay line per year for someone flying both? This will be single pilot turbine helo, and eventually going single pilot citation.