Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Skywest FAA fine

iceman49
07-15-2015, 06:14 AM
After Plane Stalls Mid-Flight, FAA Slaps SkyWest with Altitude, Speed Restrictions - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/plan-stalls-mid-flight-faa-slaps-skywest-altitude/story?id=32452209)

tim123
07-15-2015, 06:16 AM
Nice picture in that story.

NVUS
07-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Nice picture in that story.

The media can't be bothered to get their pictures and facts straight, like the restriction on the CRJ200s that is not even remotely close to the truth.

CBreezy
07-15-2015, 06:27 AM
The media can't be bothered to get their pictures and facts straight, like the restriction on the CRJ200s that is not even remotely close to the truth.

What's the truth?

NVUS
07-15-2015, 06:28 AM
What's the truth?

Well, when the CRJ200 was restricted, it was FL280. Not FL330. However, it is no longer restricted at all. So false on both accounts.

Realtalk
07-15-2015, 06:34 AM
So pssa stalled and flamed out both engines, one core locked and restarted the other. Did they get fined or slapped with fine?

WakeWash
07-15-2015, 06:37 AM
So pssa stalled and flamed out both engines, one core locked and restarted the other. Did they get fined or slapped with fine?

Reading this is funny.

Waitingformins
07-15-2015, 06:47 AM

They call that a cross core lock start.

Realtalk
07-15-2015, 06:49 AM
They call that a cross core lock start.

Thanks bill nye, they also call it f'ing up

cartean
07-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Reading this is funny.

What about that was remotely funny? The potential loss of life?

It happened several years ago.

SMACFUM
07-15-2015, 07:18 AM

http://i61.tinypic.com/eiqwdz.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/302uzqu.jpg

iceman49
07-15-2015, 07:26 AM

WakeWash
07-15-2015, 08:15 AM

No, the fact that he looks like he was hitting the bottle when he typed that. And that it wasn't exactly core lock, more of a bomb going off that blew he engine apart, like the pictures posted show.

Realtalk
07-15-2015, 08:41 AM
No, the fact that he looks like he was hitting the bottle when he typed that. And that it wasn't exactly core lock, more of a bomb going off that blew he engine apart, like the pictures posted show.

Do you not understand what core lock is? Instead you think its a bomb that blew up... What are you 12? Come man. Colt 45 is my drink of choice, but I wasn't on it this early, give me a few hours

Squallrider
07-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Really? Another thread on this? It was one aircraft where the crews took the proper recovery procedures...

Waitingformins
07-15-2015, 09:15 AM

His sentence

One core locked, and the other restarted.
The core locked engine did not restart the other side.
He was in such a rush to deflect from SKW he couldn't type straight.

CBreezy
07-15-2015, 09:17 AM
Really? Another thread on this? It was one aircraft where the crews took the proper recovery procedures...

You're right. Dropping at least 4000 feet in RVSM due to a stall ain't no thing.

Squallrider
07-15-2015, 09:34 AM
You're right. Dropping at least 4000 feet in RVSM due to a stall ain't no thing.

Of course it is, but it was one plane, isn't a widespread issue, it was one crew that messed up, at least they knew what they were doing in recoceey

gojo
07-15-2015, 09:39 AM

I guarantee you that if this was a sole event the FAA would not have issued an emergency mandate with altitude and speed restrictions.

FaceBiter
07-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Yeah, because the FAA always makes decisions that make perfect sense.

gojo
07-15-2015, 09:51 AM
Yeah, because the FAA always makes decisions that make perfect sense.

You guys are something else!!! Talk about burying you head in the sand. Or maybe it's somewhere else?

Luv2Rotate
07-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Of course it is, but it was one plane, isn't a widespread issue, it was one crew that messed up, at least they knew what they were doing in recoceey

It was not one plane. Last year, in recurrent there was a heavy emphasis on stall recovery and to declare an emergency with ATC. In fact, there was an email sent out by Klen that stated a "zero tolerance" policy regarding improper stall/slow speed events recovery. Also, in some tech briefs slow speed events was a topic of discussion because they were still being picked up in FOQA.

viper548
07-15-2015, 11:02 AM
These events have been going on for years. They talked about this in the captain leadership class they ran some years back. The common theme was climbing in VS mode and nose deep in the USA Today or level off at cruise, pull the power back too far and then break out the USA today while speed slowly decays.

Mercyful Fate
07-15-2015, 11:46 AM
These events have been going on for years. They talked about this in the captain leadership class they ran some years back. The common theme was climbing in VS mode and nose deep in the USA Today or level off at cruise, pull the power back too far and then break out the USA today while speed slowly decays.

Hmmm, wonder who would do such a thing...

viper548
07-15-2015, 12:04 PM
I suppose that's not as bad as the LCA running his tax prep business.

Squallrider
07-15-2015, 12:06 PM
It was not one plane. Last year, in recurrent there was a heavy emphasis on stall recovery and to declare an emergency with ATC. In fact, there was an email sent out by Klen that stated a "zero tolerance" policy regarding improper stall/slow speed events recovery. Also, in some tech briefs slow speed events was a topic of discussion because they were still being picked up in FOQA.

Wel in MT insight it said because of one flight crew.

viper548
07-15-2015, 12:08 PM
When I went through recurrent (last year) I was told it was about 3 events per month. I don't have any details about specific events other than common causes were climb in VS mode or power reduction after level off at cruise.

PSASUX
07-15-2015, 05:34 PM

Are you kidding me? Those two idiots did everything wrong. Not sure what pipe you are smoking, but maybe you should put it down.

Nevets
07-16-2015, 05:56 AM

More threats?

Nevets
07-16-2015, 05:58 AM

I suppose that's not as bad as the LCA running his tax prep business.

You guys know who these people are? How did you find out?

viper548
07-16-2015, 06:08 AM
You guys know who these people are? How did you find out?

FOs talking about dumb crap they see captains do. Every airline has its problem children.

TalkTurkey
07-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Flagship here. If only I can provide a link to the simulation they show us as a lesson of what one of our crews did with regard to unstable approaches. Yes, it's true, ALL airlines have these crackpots.

vilcas
07-16-2015, 07:19 PM
Autothrottles. Best thing about automation is it doesn't get bored and whip out the newspaper.

shfo
07-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Autothrottles. Best thing about automation is it doesn't get bored and whip out the newspaper.

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/callback/cb_423.html

Yup auto throttles always work as they are supposed to. Can't believe that AA 321 crew just watched the plane come in slow and didn't correct.

CBreezy
07-16-2015, 08:43 PM

God forbid you just be a pilot.

vilcas
07-17-2015, 05:03 AM
I am guessing auto throttles fail less than the humans.