Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Gander hotels

RI830
07-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Looking at a crew swap in Gander soon. First time to stay in this quaint town.

Anyone have intel on good hotels and place to grab grub and suds?

Fll50
07-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Looking at a crew swap in Gander soon. First time to stay in this quaint town.

Anyone have intel on good hotels and place to grab grub and suds?

I have been thru there many times but unfortunately never stayed ....did a quick lookup ...Hotel Gander sounds interesting ,has an aviation museum nearby,there is also a conform inn ....have you thought of an augmented crew so you don't have to send a crew out there? is this a regular trip you might do in the future?

galaxy flyer
07-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Not much in Gander, any chance you can use St. John's, NF? Much more interesting place.

GF

Natca
07-30-2015, 03:54 AM
Not much in Gander, any chance you can use St. John's, NF? Much more interesting place.

GF

I second that, St. John's is a amazing place with several good hotel plus the night life downtown.

wrap
07-30-2015, 04:09 AM
I concur on St John's (CYYT). It's 10 times better than Gander.

RI830
07-30-2015, 06:02 AM
I have been thru there many times but unfortunately never stayed ....did a quick lookup ...Hotel Gander sounds interesting ,has an aviation museum nearby,there is also a conform inn ....have you thought of an augmented crew so you don't have to send a crew out there? is this a regular trip you might do in the future?

Augmented crew isn't an option this go round unfortunately.
St Johns does look better! This is not a routine trip for us and don't expect to do this swap again. Kind of an alignment of the stars against us for available crew and duty day times.

Starlifter
07-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Concur with St. John's. Fantastic RON location...

Lifter

pilotgolfer
07-30-2015, 06:10 PM
I diverted into Gander on Christmas Eve while bringing troops home. The people at the airport were awesome to find accommodations for 250 people. Granted, there are not many fancy hotels, but the people are great and very friendly. The ice cream made from moose milk is fantastic, as well.

I wasn't there on 9/11, but you should see the pictures of all the airplanes stacked on the ramp and taxiways.