Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Skywest Hiring numbers

ready4takeoff
08-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Just wondering if Skywest is having a hard time like other regionals to attract pilots? It seems like they are doing a ton of hiring and I'm curious if any of the Skywest guys know for how much longer they plan to do all the hiring? I plan on throwing in my app there tomorrow so any tips or advice on possible interview information is much appreciated.

SMACFUM
08-14-2015, 07:14 PM
Just wondering if Skywest is having a hard time like other regionals to attract pilots? It seems like they are doing a ton of hiring and I'm curious if any of the Skywest guys know for how much longer they plan to do all the hiring? I plan on throwing in my app there tomorrow so any tips or advice on possible interview information is much appreciated.

I know SkyWest likes to hire people who post in an already established SkyWest thread instead of creating the 4th new one..........

Gearswinger
08-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Based on the unsolicited "come work for Skywest" advertisement that was waiting in my mail when I came home today, I'd say that people aren't banging down their doors. I've never applied or shown any interest in there so I'm guessing they are just mailing out to people with ATPs. I tried to get my free lanyard they advertised in it, but they wanted $6 shipping. No thanks.

FaceBiter
08-14-2015, 07:48 PM
The hiring train is full steam ahead bruh. Unless they want to pull a Bedford this bad boy is just getting started. They're pulling out all the stops and still attracting more newhires than any other regional.

Squallrider
08-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Think the last update was 80 a month being hired, we've surpassed the amount of people we hired in the whole of 2014....I would say we're hiring more than the other regionals

TheFly
08-14-2015, 09:12 PM
I know SkyWest likes to hire people who post in an already established SkyWest thread instead of creating the 4th new one..........

Bwuaahhhhh!

pete2800
08-14-2015, 09:51 PM
How many are quitting?

That is... with all of the hiring they're doing, what's been the net gain in numbers on the list?

M20EPilot
08-14-2015, 09:59 PM
Edit: I had the wrong numbers in my head. List has grown by about 400-450 in the last two years. JR CA came down 250.

FaceBiter
08-14-2015, 10:00 PM
~300 over the past 18 months or so? About a year ago is when they started ramping thing up from 20 a month to ~80.

Flightsoffusion
08-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Based on the unsolicited "come work for Skywest" advertisement that was waiting in my mail when I came home today, I'd say that people aren't banging down their doors. I've never applied or shown any interest in there so I'm guessing they are just mailing out to people with ATPs. I tried to get my free lanyard they advertised in it, but they wanted $6 shipping. No thanks.

Got the same but mine didn't offer a free lanyard. Gee wiz! The $7500 for qualified pilots, is that for typed guys or one that has an ATP?

FaceBiter
08-14-2015, 10:03 PM
CRJ (ERJ?) current and typed. = $7,500.

Flightsoffusion
08-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Thank you!

FaceBiter
08-14-2015, 10:11 PM
It could be old info honestly. They are changing things daily and the line pilots are the last to know. Newhire pay did just go to $30 (with the option of $36) so I doubt they're giving out bonuses to everyone........yet.

disillusioned
08-14-2015, 11:17 PM
How many are quitting?

That is... with all of the hiring they're doing, what's been the net gain in numbers on the list?

Hiring 50-60 per month before the raise. But we had some weeks where we lost 6 or so out of training. Last month we lost 51 pilots but only 16 were CA. Neither SW or SAPA give any type of numbers out, so I have to track it on a spreadsheet.

Turbosina
08-15-2015, 03:11 AM
Hiring 50-60 per month before the raise. But we had some weeks where we lost 6 or so out of training. Last month we lost 51 pilots but only 16 were CA. Neither SW or SAPA give any type of numbers out, so I have to track it on a spreadsheet.

That spreadsheet is about the only reason to visit the sapa forums these days. Keep it up, sir....

Gearswinger
08-15-2015, 04:08 AM
Got the same but mine didn't offer a free lanyard. Gee wiz! The $7500 for qualified pilots, is that for typed guys or one that has an ATP?

Pull off the white fold out thing, free lanyard offer is behind that. My son discovered that while looking at the shiny jet.

yesyou
08-15-2015, 04:51 AM

Do you post the spreadsheet on the SAPA website?

amcnd
08-15-2015, 07:11 AM
Pull off the white fold out thing, free lanyard offer is behind that. My son discovered that while looking at the shiny jet.

Oh Oh. Early signs os shiny jet syndrome!!!

Flightsoffusion
08-15-2015, 07:29 AM

Lol, got it. Thanks. Smart kid. My 25 yr old through it in the trash before I could even get a look at it.

Nantonaku
08-15-2015, 07:37 AM
I applied in 2007 and got a postcard this last week.

lear700pilot
08-15-2015, 08:20 AM
I got that post card and never applied there. I'm at sister company and have been so over a decade. Guess they are sending them to anyone with an ATP.

Flightsoffusion
08-15-2015, 10:25 AM
craziest thing, I got one and I'm a Walmart greeter!

LRSRanger
08-15-2015, 10:33 AM
I've still got a commercial and I got one...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buddies8
08-15-2015, 03:14 PM
what a loser operation, they went to the FAA and downloaded all info on anyone with a commercial license. how desperate can a company get.
oh wait they are copying mesa.

word302
08-17-2015, 02:05 PM
what a loser operation, they went to the FAA and downloaded all info on anyone with a commercial license. how desperate can a company get.
oh wait they are copying mesa.

Please...All the regionals are doing whatever it takes to get bodies in class, including yours.

Turbosina
08-17-2015, 08:50 PM
I received one, despite being an active SKW pilot. Perhaps I should apply and ask for the $7,500 signing bonus, seeing as how I'm already typed.

FaceBiter, will you refer me? Then we can split the $1,200 referral bonus...

JB22
08-18-2015, 01:31 AM
i got one even though I start class there in a few weeks. The 3 year upgrade thing better be wrong as I want to upgrade sooner than that, get my 1000 hours if needed and then get to the majors asap!! I'm planning no more than 4 years. I'll fly on my days off to get my hours up and then be off.

Anyone think the upgrade time will be at a few months like Compass any time soon?

NVUS
08-18-2015, 03:31 AM
i got one even though I start class there in a few weeks. The 3 year upgrade thing better be wrong as I want to upgrade sooner than that, get my 1000 hours if needed and then get to the majors asap!! I'm planning no more than 4 years. I'll fly on my days off to get my hours up and then be off.

Anyone think the upgrade time will be at a few months like Compass any time soon?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsx3v0sb4x1qzbl7f.jpg

FaceBiter
08-18-2015, 03:52 AM

Riddle or ATP?

Dude Abides
08-18-2015, 04:06 AM

You should plan for less than 4 years, Just like everyone else did 10 years ago.

TheFly
08-18-2015, 04:29 AM

This guy......

Hoser
08-18-2015, 04:42 AM

I had one in the mail yesterday, and I just turned 67 Saturday! Retired from ASA, typed in the CRJ series maybe the reason I received one. In a way kinda funny SKYW would pay me a bonus for my CRJ type that they really paid for years ago (if I was eligible of course). :D

amcnd
08-18-2015, 05:27 AM
You should plan for less than 4 years, Just like everyone else did 10 years ago.

SkyWest plans on 2.5 year upgrades as long as the we can get newhires.. We have been so far.. That was the big push on getting our TA to pass. Tons of "flying opportunitys" if we can hire enough.. A mailer seems dorky but it sure seems to have grab the attention of people.. Even on here...

Is offline
08-18-2015, 06:46 AM
SkyWest plans on 2.5 year upgrades as long as the we can get newhires.. We have been so far.. That was the big push on getting our TA to pass. Tons of "flying opportunitys" if we can hire enough.. A mailer seems dorky but it sure seems to have grab the attention of people.. Even on here...

anyone who comes to OO expecting less than a 4 year upgrade really needs to rethink their decision process. It can be 4 today and 8 tomorrow. The flying we will be getting will be replacing other airframes.

TheFly
08-18-2015, 06:53 AM
anyone who comes to OO expecting less than a 4 year upgrade really needs to rethink their decision process. It can be 4 today and 8 tomorrow. The flying we will be getting will be replacing other airframes.

Upgrade times are an ever changing number, at every airline, on every level. No way to truly tell what tomorrow will bring. Seniority is everything...the sooner one gets in, the sooner one can move up...and that's the truth.

disillusioned
08-18-2015, 09:30 AM

Upgrade was at 2 years when I started. After over 7 years, I had my first opportunity to upgrade. It would require a 4 hour commute to sit reserve. I'll upgrade after I can get decent seniority on the west coast other than Denver (85% 4 day trips, no thanks) If that takes another year or so, so be it. I honestly would rather spend my time applying vs studying for upgrade.

ThreeStripe
08-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Upgrade times are an ever changing number, at every airline, on every level. No way to truly tell what tomorrow will bring. Seniority is everything...the sooner one gets in, the sooner one can move up...and that's the truth.

Except at XJT. So many undesirables pollute the top of our seniority list that unless they retire or drop dead, we are in for a long ride in the right seat.

amcnd
08-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Ya. Upgrades can swing widly. Ive seen them offer newhires captain spots at OO.. Right this second its 3.5"ish years. Heard the VP say the plan on it droping to 2.5"ish by this winter...

disillusioned
08-18-2015, 12:53 PM
That spreadsheet is about the only reason to visit the sapa forums these days. Keep it up, sir....

That one is not mine, but I use it to make sure I am getting the same data. Guess we will see how useful the data is going forward. I'm sure it will be outdated by the time the post gets approved.

I use mine to track upgrades, block hours, PBS bidding pilots and reserve percentage. That is why I am not nearly as optimistic about our pay package leading to more staffing. The company has proven over and over again that they are willing to sell our QOL down the river and my data doesn't show SGU doing anything different.

We were supposed to see an increase in staffing due to 117. Well if you look at our staffing vs block hours over the past couple years, we didn't add pilots for 117. Now here comes the company wanting to reflow the line holders with the EFB. Again, this will be to cover for decreased reserve staffing. All the reasons given for reflow should be covered with reserves.

All of our issues with trip efficiency will not get better by adding pilot input on pairing creation. It will only get better when AS and JO are shown the door and SGU decides they need to do something different because "the way we always have done it" isn't working anymore. The fact that SAPA was able to show increased efficiency with Virtual Domiciles and it was shot down, should be a good indicator of how much SGU wants to work with the pilots on solutions.

Whatmeworry
08-18-2015, 01:12 PM
2 years or 5 years SKYWEST is still better than 6 months at Mesa or gojet!!!

AZFlyn1
08-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Upgrade was at 2 years when I started. After over 7 years, I had my first opportunity to upgrade. It would require a 4 hour commute to sit reserve. I'll upgrade after I can get decent seniority on the west coast other than Denver (85% 4 day trips, no thanks) If that takes another year or so, so be it. I honestly would rather spend my time applying vs studying for upgrade.

Yes, this^^^^.... I just turned down upgrade for this reason. My QOL is decent, but would go to complete shyt.... Some things aren't worth a few extra bucks...Glad some people understand this because most can't wrap their head around it and think I'm crazy...

Is offline
08-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Ya. Upgrades can swing widly. Ive seen them offer newhires captain spots at OO.. Right this second its 3.5"ish years. Heard the VP say the plan on it droping to 2.5"ish by this winter...

The only reason they will drop to 2.5 years is no one wants to go to ORD or MSP.

Nevets
08-18-2015, 04:09 PM
That one is not mine, but I use it to make sure I am getting the same data. Guess we will see how useful the data is going forward. I'm sure it will be outdated by the time the post gets approved.

I use mine to track upgrades, block hours, PBS bidding pilots and reserve percentage. That is why I am not nearly as optimistic about our pay package leading to more staffing. The company has proven over and over again that they are willing to sell our QOL down the river and my data doesn't show SGU doing anything different.

We were supposed to see an increase in staffing due to 117. Well if you look at our staffing vs block hours over the past couple years, we didn't add pilots for 117. Now here comes the company wanting to reflow the line holders with the EFB. Again, this will be to cover for decreased reserve staffing. All the reasons given for reflow should be covered with reserves.

All of our issues with trip efficiency will not get better by adding pilot input on pairing creation. It will only get better when AS and JO are shown the door and SGU decides they need to do something different because "the way we always have done it" isn't working anymore. The fact that SAPA was able to show increased efficiency with Virtual Domiciles and it was shot down, should be a good indicator of how much SGU wants to work with the pilots on solutions.

If staffing hasn't increased for 117, how is the flying being covered? I know your CCF has gone down a bit but not enough to make up for the increased staffing 117 required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CabbiInbound
08-18-2015, 04:36 PM
The only reason they will drop to 2.5 years is no one wants to go to ORD or MSP.

Just out of curiosity, why is ORD undesirable?

Surprise
08-18-2015, 04:51 PM

But Compass is respectable right? That's the word on the street.

TheFly
08-18-2015, 05:11 PM

Nothing...unless you have to commute. Perspective is everything.

AFflyer
08-18-2015, 05:42 PM
Nothing...unless you have to commute. Perspective is everything.
What's bad about commuting to ORD? Is it the crash pad situation? I'm hoping to get ORD out of training.

zondaracer
08-18-2015, 05:45 PM
What's bad about commuting to ORD? Is it the crash pad situation? I'm hoping to get ORD out of training.

Nothing, but when a company has 14 bases and you live in one of them but you have to commute to ORD or MSP, then the situation is less than ideal. If LAX was the most junior, you would hear lots of complaints about commuting to LAX from all the commuters who live in the other 13 bases. Just perspective

contrail44
08-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Riddle or ATP?

ATP fur sure bruh

TheFly
08-18-2015, 05:57 PM

If that's what you want, then nothing. If I lived at or near ORD my seniority would be a lot better than what it is and I would take it. However, for ME, driving to work & not commuting is a better situation, despite being less senior where I live.

Perspective....

contrail44
08-18-2015, 05:58 PM

Commuting in general is just bad.

disillusioned
08-18-2015, 08:23 PM
If staffing hasn't increased for 117, how is the flying being covered? I know your CCF has gone down a bit but not enough to make up for the increased staffing 117 required.

I think I remember hearing estimates that airlines were going to have to hire 6-8% more pilots for 117. I'm pretty sure SW just took that 6-8% out of our reserve coverage. For example, in all of 2014 we only had 1 month where our reserve levels were below 10% system wide for FO's (July) and two for CA (July and August) 2015 YTD we have only had one month where FO reserve levels were ABOVE 10% (which is next month) System wide our FO reserve level was 4% for July 2015 vs 10% for July 2014.

There is a reason the company is pushing so hard for EFB notification and reflowing lineholders, To keep reserve levels low is the main one. The fact that we are deadheading SLC pilots to MSP and back (14+ hour duty day) to cover a round trip shows how creative they are getting with covering the flying.

Coming out of training to hold a line or reserve for two months isn't that bad. I commuted out to ORD when I first started on reserve. If we had proper staffing, didn't require 90+ hours of credit, or had the ability to drop trips once in awhile, I may give it more thought. For now, I will just drive to work and cherish the occasional trip that is picked up and allows me more time at home. If I choose to commute, hopefully it will be to a mainline job.

CabbiInbound
08-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Interesting. Thanks for insight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

prior121
08-18-2015, 09:58 PM

LOL until you're awarded CRJ900 CA DFW 6 months out of training at Mesa, as is curently happening. (prior 121 1000 121 sic people only of course...)

word302
08-18-2015, 10:09 PM
LOL until you're awarded CRJ900 CA DFW 6 months out of training at Mesa, as is curently happening. (prior 121 1000 121 sic people only of course...)

Nope, but thanks for playing.

TheFly
08-18-2015, 10:11 PM

Nah, no thanks.

prior121
08-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Nope, but thanks for playing.

Right seat in a 200 at $30 a block or Left seat in a 900 building TPIC at $62 a block.

To each his own.

No flame sir. I understand everyone has their personal reasons for where they go!

word302
08-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Right seat in a 200 at $30 a block or Left seat in a 900 building TPIC at $62 a block.

To each his own.

No flame sir. I understand everyone has their personal reasons for where they go!

Like self respect.

prior121
08-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Like self respect.

Ohhhhhh damn broseph maybe one day I'll be as cool as u my dude.

word302
08-18-2015, 10:44 PM
Ohhhhhh damn broseph maybe one day I'll be as cool as u my dude.

What you don't seem to understand is that your contract will suck until you can't hire. While you toot the upgrade horn, people are going to eventually get stuck at those abysmal FO rates. Since you jumped from Republic to Mesa, you really just don't get it.

Paid2fly
08-19-2015, 12:44 AM

You'd think they'd be all over the virtual domiciles, or reopening some of the closed bases. Not just improved pairings(better quality of life for flight crews), but saving a bundle on hotels and per diem at the same time. The win win would seem to be a no brainer...

prior121
08-19-2015, 10:55 AM
What you don't seem to understand is that your contract will suck until you can't hire. While you toot the upgrade horn, people are going to eventually get stuck at those abysmal FO rates. Since you jumped from Republic to Mesa, you really just don't get it.

Dude, how are you hating on me brah? It worked out, I'm a Captain holding 17 days off on the 175. Chasing the upgrade doesn't always work but I'm the poster child for it working.

payingdues
08-19-2015, 11:10 AM

He does have TPIC time, a degree, and a marketable resume though....

citation35hf
08-19-2015, 11:17 AM
He does have TPIC time, a degree, and a marketable resume though....

Don't forget he is Mr. GQ himself too. ha

payingdues
08-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Don't forget CT is Mr. GQ himself too. ha

Bruh? Keep his name out the streets.

Paid2fly
08-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Don't forget CT is Mr. GQ himself too. ha

And, don't forget,
a legend in his own mind too!:eek:

prior121
08-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Don't forget he is Mr. GQ himself too. ha

hahahaha oh man. lost your number, text me if you still have it!

word302
08-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Dude, how are you hating on me brah? It worked out, I'm a Captain holding 17 days off on the 175. Chasing the upgrade doesn't always work but I'm the poster child for it working.

You guys all seem to think I'm making personal attacks. I understand you "got yours", and as a result of you and all the other upgrade chasers, your contract will never improve. Why would they pay more when people continue to show up for class?

977flyer
08-19-2015, 01:09 PM

No it's not. That's bad advice. Get in, get your time and move on.

AZFlyn1
08-19-2015, 03:14 PM
No it's not. That's bad advice. Get in, get your time and move on.

You say that like it's just sooooo easy.... If I'm going to be stuck, I'd rather be stuck at a decent company. Having worked at both Mesa and Skywest, I can assure you one company is wayyyy better than the other.

Whatmeworry
08-19-2015, 08:53 PM
What happens when the music stops and you are stuck with the FO pay and QOL? Call me a son of the lost aviation decade but I'm going where the QOL is better.

Nevets
08-20-2015, 06:54 AM
What happens when the music stops and you are stuck with the FO pay and QOL? Call me a son of the lost aviation decade but I'm going where the QOL is better.

So you are going to Air Wisconsin?

NVUS
08-20-2015, 07:26 AM
So you are going to Air Wisconsin?

How many domiciles does Air Wisconsin have west of the Mississippi?

TheFly
08-20-2015, 10:15 AM

Crickets.........:eek:

Seminole00
08-20-2015, 11:00 AM

who cares, contract is the king~ Right?;)

Nevets
08-20-2015, 02:09 PM

Why does a river even matter if there is no commute?

Whatmeworry
08-27-2015, 11:37 PM
When does Skywest do the pria and background check? After you get to training?

tinman1
08-27-2015, 11:59 PM
Why does a river even matter if there is no commute?

Because living out east sucks and the weather is awful