Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Culciambo
08-19-2015, 10:03 PM
I hold a colombian CPL but I want to homologate my license to a FAA CPL. To do this I need to fly another 46 hours and I'm planning to go to Florida because someone recommended me this academy (Aviation Pacific Daytona). Afterwards, I plan to obtain the CFI and CFII licenses so I can build up more hours.

To top it all off, has anyone heard of this academy? If so, what are your opinions on the instructions, prices, airplanes, maintanance, teaching and so on.

Likewise, how feasible would it be for me to obtain a job in this same place as a CFI/CFII? How common is it to see foreigners as instructors? Would you like to be trained by such a person (language barrier at some degree, for example)?

PerfInit
08-20-2015, 05:38 AM
Not familiar with the school you mentioned at all, sorry. Assuming you are not a US Citizen, What you have proposed is possible with the correct Visa (J1 I believe) for future temporary US employment. I worked at an ab-initio flight flight school that hired foreign nationals way back 25years ago. The rules are different now (TSA) so you should check into that also. You would also need to demonstrate ICAO Level 4 English Proficiency before being issued an FAA pilot cert.
Good luck in your future aspirations!

Culciambo
08-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Are you insinuating that perhaps, I wouldn't be able to act as a CFI/CFII in the US territory as a foreigner even though, in the hypothetical case that I obtain a work permit first and the appropriate visa afterwards?

kingsnake2
08-20-2015, 08:29 AM
The hard part is the appropriate visa and work permit. Generally that would be either an F-1 visa with permissions to work from the college you're attending or permanent residence.

Culciambo
08-20-2015, 09:31 AM
I currently have a Tourism visa (B1) and thus, it is perhaps more attainable to get an M-1 visa to study, I think.

I have been told by one director of this academy that it would be the academy itself whom will be (after completion of the previous requisites) in charge of my work-permit paperwork and formalities. In his own words, "it is not that difficult nowadays".

I'm totally relying on his word because things down here in Colombia aren't easy either so at least in the USA, I'll be flying for some months. Obviously I take this whole story with my fingertips and try to be as cautious as possible so I don't waste money. The good thing is that I'll be able to visit the facilities in September and talk with the people there.

What do you think? Am I being told a fairytale or this is actually doable?

kingsnake2
08-20-2015, 10:02 AM
To be honest, I think it is unlikely to get any long term work permit from an M-1 visa.

They could hire you illegally and pay cash "under the table" but that is not going to be legal work with the appropriate visa.

Flyhayes
08-20-2015, 03:18 PM
If I were you I'd start by running a Google search of owner.
Here you go: Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Jose+Luis+Leyva+edgewater)

Getting a work visa in aviation field is not easy. I'm not saying that it's impossible for them to provide you with one, but I don't see how a small outfit like theirs does it when the larger more reputable flightschools don't.

Unfortunately, because of the large amount of flight training that takes place in this part of Florida, there are alot of bad companies here waiting to take your money. Make sure you research them well, and even visit them before signing up for anything!

If you just need to timebuild, I have a C-172 that i rent out. I'm located in New Smyrna Beach, just a few miles from Daytona.

Good luck!

Culciambo
08-20-2015, 08:04 PM
If I were you I'd start by running a Google search of owner.
Here you go: Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Jose+Luis+Leyva+edgewater)

Getting a work visa in aviation field is not easy. I'm not saying that it's impossible for them to provide you with one, but I don't see how a small outfit like theirs does it when the larger more reputable flightschools don't.

Unfortunately, because of the large amount of flight training that takes place in this part of Florida, there are alot of bad companies here waiting to take your money. Make sure you research them well, and even visit them before signing up for anything!

If you just need to timebuild, I have a C-172 that i rent out. I'm located in New Smyrna Beach, just a few miles from Daytona.

Good luck!

Who is that person you linked me through Google? He apparently has nothing to do with the flight school I am asking about. Also, have you specifically heard or known about anything concerning Aviation Pacific Daytona? Whatever it be, I plead you to tell me here or by PM.

MetalGear
08-20-2015, 10:21 PM
@Culciambo

You must be referring to Flight Training Express ( FTE ) based out of Massey Ranch ( X59 ) near Edgewater Florida
Welcome to Flight Training Express (http://www.flyfte.com/)
Notice the Aviation Pacific logo at the bottom of the page

The flight school by itself does not have a Part 141 certificate but I believe they have some sort of partnership with Aviation Pacific which allows them to sponsor student visas for international students
Only FAA Part 141 flight schools are allowed to sponsor student visas

As for obtaining a work permit , do your research as to how this would work out .
What laws will the flight school use ? how long will the work permit be valid etc ?

I believe there are flight schools out there that issue F1 visas which allow you to stay back and work for some time as OPT after you obtain the CFI
But you will have to leave once the OPT period is over and cant renew it
But it might be long enough to get the FAA ATP license which would open more opportunities for you once you go back home

M1 visas have something similar but you will only be allowed to work for 1 month for every 4 months you spent studying ( or something similar )

yeahbutstill
08-21-2015, 09:31 AM
what is wrong with Avianca or any other local airline? They typically only ask for a commercial pilot license (multi) and a physical. Just wondering

Flyhayes
08-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Flight Training Express and Aviation Pacific appear to be operated by the same person.
See the Florida Department of State website for more info: Detail by Entity Name (http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/CorporationSearch/SearchResultDetail?inquirytype=EntityName&directionType=Initial&searchNameOrder=AVIATIONPACIFICFLORIDACAMPUS%20P13 0000907260&aggregateId=domp-p13000090726-f7a56b7f-0d48-4109-a423-49e67afe9796&searchTerm=Aviation%20pacific&listNameOrder=AVIATIONPACIFICFLORIDACAMPUS%20P1300 00907260)

Running a search under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for SEVP ceritified schools shows that FTE and Aviation Pacific does NOT have authority to issue A VISA.
https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search?field_school_name_value=Aviationpacific&field_location_city_value=&field_location_state_value=56&field_education_level_value=All

Culciambo
08-21-2015, 02:55 PM
@MetalGear, I think you just put it all clear. I haven't ever heard of FTE but according to the location provided by their FB page (Aviation Pacific) it is exactly the same place you mentioned but also, the RWY there it's just the same than the one I saw in of their videos in FB.

In regard to the the research, I'm on it, trying to get as more information as possible. Fortunately, I will be there by September to visit their facilities. What questions should I ask?

At least it is relieving to know that it is actually possible to work as CFI in the USA being an alien.

@yeahbutstill, Avianca never called me to an interview with them, nor did the other airlines. Probably I just lack of the right connections. :/

Culciambo
08-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Update.

I've also received a quotation from US Aviation Academy at a very affordable price for me. What do you think of this academy, any thoughts or comments?

They are located in Denton, TX by the way.

MetalGear
08-21-2015, 10:07 PM
@Culciambo

The F1 visa option only works if you were starting your pilot training from scratch . Because you need to spend about 9 month to a year in order to be eligible for OPT

By going on an F1 visa only to obtain your CFI ratings wont be long enough to qualify for OPT which would allow you to build some experience

The other option would be to enrol in a college degree and work as a flight instructor on the side . The F1 visa allows you to work for 20 hours a week
Some flying schools in the U.S have this option like Dean International , Aviator College etc

Culciambo
08-22-2015, 08:21 AM
@MetalGear, mine (and ours) is a vocational study, i.e. I must apply for an M-1 visa so I wouldn't be eligible for further my studies with OPT.

Likewise, my intention is not to do any practices but to work as a CFI(I) with an appropriate work permit or a worker visa (if possible). I guess this is possible.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1