Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Overseas training question

MbusiHlatsh
09-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Would anyone recommend getting your licenses outside of the US where it would be much cheaper? Can you convert them to an FAA license and then fly in the US? Thanks

Twin Wasp
09-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Except for Transport Canada licenses there is no direct conversion of foreign license to FAA certificates. While the total time and solo time would count any training for a FAA certificate has to given by an "authorized instructor" which in most cases means the holder of a FAA CFI certificate. If your overseas training isn't given by a FAA CFI and recorded as such it won't count.

Bloggs
09-06-2015, 08:27 PM
If your overseas training isn't given by a FAA CFI and recorded as such it won't count.

Sure it counts.

61.41: (a) A person may credit flight training toward the requirements of a pilot certificate or rating issued under this part, if that person received the training from:

(2) A flight instructor who is authorized to give such training by the licensing authority of a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, and the flight training is given outside the United States.

I think the real question here is... where is this foreign country that has much cheaper flight training than the US?

zondaracer
09-06-2015, 08:35 PM
I have yet to see any country that has cheaper flight training than in the U.S. There might be a country out there but as a holder of both FAA and foreign flying licenses/certificates, I have not yet met anyone who said it was cheaper abroad.

Twin Wasp
09-07-2015, 06:43 AM
61.41 (b) A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given.

"Won't count" may have been a bit much but a foreign instructor can't sign a student off for privileges or a checkride. So they'd have to demo all the tasks in the PTS to a FAA CFI to get signed for the ride. That would extend the training and raise the cost.