Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

dwatkins2015
10-30-2015, 07:22 PM
Hi, I'm from Pennsylvania and I have a bit of a unique situation. Currently I'm at Penn State pursuing a Meteorology degree which I am pretty set on. I do, however, want to pursue a career as an airline pilot. I've already talked to a current airline pilot and he was very adamant that time is of the essence. Is there a flight school out there that I can attend during my summers in between college? If not, what is my quickest route to the pilot's seat?

PotatoChip
11-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Finish your degree and go to something like this...
https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/flight_training.html

Expect to pay a lot of money for it.

You can conceivable get your private pilot's license in the summer if you found a GOOD instructor to get you through it. That would be flying/studying everyday.

I'd be more apt to utilize summer for your degree classes to graduate sooner instead of for flying.

Actually, I'd recommend using your summer to be a raft guide, to travel, to hike the AT or do something you can't do as easy in the career world.

jimf15e
11-02-2015, 04:37 PM
I gotta ask the OP - what makes your situation "unique" as compared to all the other posts asking what the quickest/easiest/cheapest route is?

Quarryman
11-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Hi, I'm from Pennsylvania and I have a bit of a unique situation. Currently I'm at Penn State pursuing a Meteorology degree which I am pretty set on. I do, however, want to pursue a career as an airline pilot. I've already talked to a current airline pilot and he was very adamant that debt avoidance is of the essence. Is there a flight school out there that I can attend during my summers in between college? If not, what is my quickest route to the pilot's seat?

There, fixed it for ya. Go to a part 61 school and pay as you go. Nothing in this business is worth going into debt.

Paid2flyfast
11-08-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm a CFI at the University of North Dakota. I started out part 61 but moved to UND for my training in 2012. No matter where you go, things to think about (R-ATP and Money)... Public schools like UND allow you to use financial aid and state loans, also Part 141 gives you lower time minimums. And... Once you finish, they hire you as a CFI to build time. I'm full time with 11 students and do check rides. Not a bad gig, great school, relationships with airlines, reputation and faculty who can't do enough to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWeatherman
12-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Hey, another weatherman turning pilot :D

satpak77
12-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Hi, I'm from Pennsylvania and I have a bit of a unique situation. Currently I'm at Penn State pursuing a Meteorology degree which I am pretty set on. I do, however, want to pursue a career as an airline pilot. I've already talked to a current airline pilot and he was very adamant that time is of the essence. Is there a flight school out there that I can attend during my summers in between college? If not, what is my quickest route to the pilot's seat?

become military pilot

jayrogers1306
12-17-2015, 03:24 AM
Check with charter college Aviation. They have 15 different partner location in USA.

PC12Junkie
12-30-2015, 04:34 PM
Cochise College in Arizona

BoxedinIowa
12-31-2015, 07:17 AM
Finish your degree and go to something like this...
https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/flight_training.html

Expect to pay a lot of money for it.

If you're going to go to ATP, don't plan on having anything else to do for a few weeks/months. It might be difficult with your schooling. If you get bumped off the original "schedule", you won't make it out with anything left in the wallet.

Go to your local airport, and see if there's an instructor there who you can get along with and will be there for a few months. Small towns may have a problem staffing instructors, so be aware of what might be.

andylewis1977
01-06-2016, 03:56 AM
Visit some aviation colleges nearby your location, get the experience of the students, inquire about the aviation colleges & decide your career path.
All the best for your future.