Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Trans States or Republic

Don Bailey
12-14-2015, 06:50 AM
I'm typed in the 145, and I live relatively close to MIA. I'm trying to decide between Trans States and Republic. Considering upgrade time, hourly pay, bonus, the possibility of living in base, etc., what is the better option? I want to get current and move on to the Majors or LCC. Also, which one would be better if the music stopped and I got stuck at one or the other for longer than anticipated?

Thanks in advance for any and all rational dialogue.

Don.

CBreezy
12-14-2015, 06:52 AM
I'm typed in the 145, and I live relatively close to MIA. I'm trying to decide between Trans States and Republic. Considering upgrade time, hourly pay, bonus, the possibility of living in base, etc., what is the better option? I want to get current and move on to the Majors or LCC. Also, which one would be better if the music stopped and I got stuck at one or the other for longer than anticipated?

Don.

If you live in MIA, TSA will be tough for you. I don't know how the commutes are to RDU, but all the other bases at TSA (IAD, ORD, STL, DEN), are tough commutes from south Florida.

westwind1
12-14-2015, 07:02 AM
Republic is offering $20,000 if you are already typed in the 145. I interviewed recently; let me know if you need any info about the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Bailey
12-14-2015, 07:26 AM
If you live in MIA, TSA will be tough for you. I don't know how the commutes are to RDU, but all the other bases at TSA (IAD, ORD, STL, DEN), are tough commutes from south Florida.
Thanks.
My thoughts exactly on the commute. I was thinking RDU might be the best bet when/if it opens.

Don Bailey
12-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Republic is offering $20,000 if you are already typed in the 145. I interviewed recently; let me know if you need any info about the interview.

Much appreciated.

CBreezy
12-14-2015, 07:45 AM
Thanks.
My thoughts exactly on the commute. I was thinking RDU might be the best bet when/if it opens.

RDU is opening in February. It'll be mostly if not 100% AE flying in and out of LGA/JFK.

daOldMan
12-14-2015, 07:55 AM
I opened this thread expecting it to be about which company would be out of business first.

Really, there are people still going to Republic? Insane. I hope that you like your next regional even better than the first one.

CBreezy
12-14-2015, 08:05 AM
I opened this thread expecting it to be about which company would be out of business first.

Really, there are people still going to Republic? Insane. I hope that you like your next regional even better than the first one.

Why would you think either of them would be going out of business anytime soon?

Flightcap
12-14-2015, 08:24 AM

Classes at Republic are full through sometime in February.

ThreeStripe
12-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Classes at Republic are full through sometime in February.

I am sorry to hear that.

Flightcap
12-14-2015, 09:04 AM
I am sorry to hear that.

Whether you believe RAH is dying or not, remember that this development gives credence to a statement pilots have made for years - if you pay them, they will come.

sflpilot
12-14-2015, 09:57 AM
Whether you believe RAH is dying or not, remember that this development gives credence to a statement pilots have made for years - if you pay them, they will come.

The pay may be higher now but the culture is still the same. They will violate and use this contract as toilet paper just like they did the last one. All with the blessing of the IBT.

DriveC208
12-14-2015, 11:20 AM
If you live in MIA, and you can get a MIA base with Republic, that sounds pretty nice. I'm sure some Republic guys can confirm this...I think MIA is a 170 base? I personally would go to Trans States if it's between those two. Quicker upgrade, pretty good contract, and you said you're already typed in the 145. Commuting sucks no matter who you work for. If your goal is a Major/LCC, I'd say go where the upgrade is.

If "the music stops" and you get stuck somewhere...I guess it just depends on your preference. The Embraer 170 is probably a nicer plane to spend your career in, but TransStates is probably a better company to spend your career in. So it really depends on your personal preference. I know lifers at TransStates and lifers at Republic. The TransStates guys seem happier with their company. Then again, I know a TransStates guy that left and went to Mesa because he didn't want to spend his career on the 145 and he was able to be a 170 captain in less than a year (bad move in my opinion, but hey everyone has their reasons).

Just my 2 cents. Btw, I don't work for either company.

Don Bailey
12-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks. All good points. I really like driving to work, so Republic has a huge advantage there. The one thing I'm not certain about is the viability of the MIA base.

Rahlifer
12-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Don't base your decision only on RAH having a MIA base. There is a very good possibility that the base will be closing soon. The real American Eagle has been getting their flying back from Republic since we simply can't staff most of it. Once Eagle gets their 170 program up and running, Republics days in MIA are numbered. The base closure will most likely be announced around Christmas day or New Years.That's how BB rolls.

PilotJ3
12-14-2015, 07:18 PM
Don't base your decision only on RAH having a MIA base. There is a very good possibility that the base will be closing soon. The real American Eagle has been getting their flying back from Republic since we simply can't staff most of it. Once Eagle gets their 170 program up and running, Republics days in MIA are numbered. The base closure will most likely be announced around Christmas day or New Years.That's how BB rolls.

I read a Letter somewhere that RAH is closing GSO? Is that True?

TurbineTime
12-14-2015, 07:30 PM

That's hilarious. If envoy gets anything back in Miami, it'll be a satellite base. Miami is a huge recruiting tool for republic, it's not going away anytime soon.

PilotJ3
12-14-2015, 07:59 PM
That's hilarious. If envoy gets anything back in Miami, it'll be a satellite base. Miami is a huge recruiting tool for republic, it's not going away anytime soon.

Envoy is already covering MIA from ORD and DFW. Actually some guys even have overnights now in their home.

458FS
12-14-2015, 08:16 PM
Republic will be out of Miami by March. I hope it was a good recruiting tool while it lasted.

fina
12-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Republic will be out of Miami by March. I hope it was a good recruiting tool while it lasted.
care to elaborate about this? I would like to know more

TurbineTime
12-14-2015, 08:34 PM

He's a ****ed off envoy pilot trying to spread disinformation, that's all.

Flightcap
12-14-2015, 08:36 PM

I would be interested to hear your factual support of this statement.

sflpilot
12-15-2015, 09:30 AM

When I was there they opened and closed so many things it was completely ridiculous. IAH CRP MKE GRR DEN HNL BUF GSO FLL ATL. MIA could very well shrink or close the only main stays at RAH are IND and CMH.

KCaviator
12-15-2015, 10:09 AM
When I was there they opened and closed so many things it was completely ridiculous. IAH CRP MKE GRR DEN HNL BUF GSO FLL ATL. MIA could very well shrink or close the only main stays at RAH are IND and CMH.

When did Republic have a Honolulu base?

Cloudstreet7
12-15-2015, 10:28 AM
E170 operation for Mokulele

KCaviator
12-15-2015, 10:40 AM
E170 operation for Mokulele

Ah, yeah, I always forget about that Shuttle operation.

Thanks!

sqwkvfr
12-15-2015, 10:42 AM

When Shuttle America flew in Mokulele colors. I think is was a little over two years...right about the time the flights started getting full, the plug was pulled and the pilots were given a very short amount of time to get to their new base....LGA.

For the people telling others that Republic's MIA base is safe; I'd be a little careful passing that on to potential new hires. It is, after all, RAH's newest base and does not fall into RAH's preferred operating area.

Hell, ATL and DEN were also great recruiting tools.

FEtoFO
12-15-2015, 12:58 PM
When Shuttle America flew in Mokulele colors. I think is was a little over two years...right about the time the flights started getting full, the plug was pulled and the pilots were given a very short amount of time to get to their new base....LGA.

For the people telling others that Republic's MIA base is safe; I'd be a little careful passing that on to potential new hires. It is, after all, RAH's newest base and does not fall into RAH's preferred operating area.

Hell, ATL and DEN were also great recruiting tools.

-This is good info! RAH has a history of closing bases, so do not go to Republic for a specific base (well IND and CMH are safe bets:))

Loon
12-15-2015, 06:08 PM
The pay may be higher now but the culture is still the same. They will violate and use this contract as toilet paper just like they did the last one. All with the blessing of the IBT.

This statement is NOT true.

Mr Rumbold
12-16-2015, 05:19 PM
So where are the current 145 bases?

thump
12-16-2015, 05:33 PM
so where are the current 145 bases?
sdf
jfk
lga
cmh

scudrunner13
12-16-2015, 06:21 PM
What is the current upgrade time at RAH?

Flightcap
12-16-2015, 06:29 PM
What is the current upgrade time at RAH?

Most junior captain is an April 2011 hire, based in Newark. The east coast or PIT is where the junior captains seem to be based. Getting away from the east coast to a place like CMH, ORD, or IND - most junior captains are 2007/2008 hires.

Airplane
12-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Most junior captain is an April 2011 hire, based in Newark. The east coast or PIT is where the junior captains seem to be based. Getting away from the east coast to a place like CMH, ORD, or IND - most junior captains are 2007/2008 hires.

I just flew with a July '11 hire. He was a month or two senior than the most junior. CMH based

Flightcap
12-20-2015, 12:02 PM
I just flew with a July '11 hire. He was a month or two senior than the most junior. CMH based

I take it that you fly on the Shuttle America certificate?

ILFLY4u
12-20-2015, 12:10 PM
I have a class date at RAH for January 6 in the 170. I have the 145 type rating and strongly considered going that route for the $20,000 bonus but was told by HR on 12/14 that Delta was no longer going to operate the 145's and all 145 classes were cancelled.

Farmlover
12-20-2015, 12:43 PM
I have a class date at RAH for January 6 in the 170. I have the 145 type rating and strongly considered going that route for the $20,000 bonus but was told by HR on 12/14 that Delta was no longer going to operate the 145's and all 145 classes were cancelled.

Guess it's time to come to endeavor and get that bonus every year. Pm me for help

Flightcap
12-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Guess it's time to come to endeavor and get that bonus every year. Pm me for help

Referral bonus farming much?

cf105
12-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Delta CPA unilaterally extended until 20121 hence why RAH suddenly needs more 145 jockeys

CBreezy
12-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Delta CPA unilaterally extended until 20121 hence why RAH suddenly needs more 145 jockeys

Twenty thousand year extension? That's bold.

Tpinks
12-20-2015, 02:51 PM

So wouldn't they want to run 145 classes rather than canceling them like ifly4u reported?

cf105
12-21-2015, 03:24 AM
So wouldn't they want to run 145 classes rather than canceling them like ifly4u reported?

If they're offering a 15K/20K bonus (more then the 175 bonus), would that really mean they are cancelling all 145 classes. They've even called back guys who were slotted on the 175 to ask them if they wouldn't be happier with the bigger bonus on the 145.

Maybe cancelled classes are/were those with low number of students.

Seems like despite the bonus, all new applicants want the 175 over the 145.

Future Cpt Kirk
12-21-2015, 06:41 AM

Don.

Don, I'm an FO at TSA. It's a good place to be right now with quick movement and a good contract. We are negotiating for pbs now and I would expect to see some additional gains in return for voting in pbs. If you want some info on the company and training here, email me.... [email protected]

Mike

aperfcrcle
12-21-2015, 07:05 AM
If they're offering a 15K/20K bonus (more then the 175 bonus), would that really mean they are cancelling all 145 classes. They've even called back guys who were slotted on the 175 to ask them if they wouldn't be happier with the bigger bonus on the 145.

Maybe cancelled classes are/were those with low number of students.

Seems like despite the bonus, all new applicants want the 175 over the 145.

They are not hiring in the 145 anymore, nor are they hiring on the shuttle side. Shuttle will be merged with republic on one cert. and they will only be hiring 170 guys on the republic side from what I was told.

Don Bailey
12-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Thanks Mike! I appreciate that.

Don.

CaptRollcage
12-21-2015, 08:22 AM
They are not hiring in the 145 anymore, nor are they hiring on the shuttle side. Shuttle will be merged with republic on one cert. and they will only be hiring 170 guys on the republic side from what I was told.
I was told the same thing. Can anyone elaborate on this?? Makes me think they r going to lose the Delta 145 flying, not to mention they have already canx quite a few of the future 170s on order. Surely that will push the upgrade back significantly, if not to the longest of all regionals for new hires

CaptRollcage
12-21-2015, 08:27 AM
I was told the same thing. Can anyone elaborate on this?? Makes me think they r going to lose the Delta 145 flying, not to mention they have already canx quite a few of the future 170s on order. Surely that will push the upgrade back significantly, if not the longest of all regionals
And to those that haven't figured it out yet, the $20K bonus ad on the 145 was only up for 2 days & then removed. HR said it is canx. Obviously something is going on behind the scenes.

TurbineTime
12-21-2015, 08:36 AM
I was told the same thing. Can anyone elaborate on this?? Makes me think they r going to lose the Delta 145 flying, not to mention they have already canx quite a few of the future 170s on order. Surely that will push the upgrade back significantly, if not to the longest of all regionals for new hires

The upgrade will prob stay at around 3.5-4 years, even if the 145 goes away. Even with the cancelations, there are still 30 more aircraft on order that will be arriving working the next year. Couple that with the large amount of captains getting hired by the majors and the fact that they need to upgrade a ton just to catch up with airframes on property, and I think there is little chance of upgrades going longer than 4 years.
Plus we still have the C-Series mystery to wonder about. 40 orders, 40 options, still have not been deferred or cancelled. We shall see.

Propwash72
12-27-2015, 10:25 AM
What's the story on MCI, DEN and ORD for RAH? Equipment? Seniority?

KCaviator
12-27-2015, 12:15 PM
What's the story on MCI, DEN and ORD for RAH? Equipment? Seniority?

I believe DEN is closing with the elimination of the 400s. MCI is a 170/175 base and is right in the middle in terms of seniority; not senior but not junior. It's also a maintenance base which should make it somewhat stable.