Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

dl773
12-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Hello all,

I am trying to determine the number or average of VFR days for two airports in very different parts of the country. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks,

kingsnake2
12-15-2015, 01:44 PM
As someone who has tried to do the same thing before, I've found the answer to be no.

However, depending on how good you are with Excel and how much you like research you can get detailed records from most airports (and all major airports) from NOAA. Another comparable would be recorded VFR tower operations which you can get from the FAA.

dl773
12-15-2015, 03:03 PM
lol yeah I was trying to avoid downloading massive quantities of METARs to an excel sheet and crunching it.

This thing about VFR tower ops, is that referring to ATADS (Air Traffic Activity Data System)?

kingsnake2
12-15-2015, 03:12 PM
Yes, with ATADS you can pull tower operations.

The easiest method - just google "Sunny days per year XXXX" and compare. By no means perfect but probably close enough for most problems.

dl773
12-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Thanks Kingsnake. I've done the sunny days thing but was looking for something more accurate. I think you're right though, it's probably good enough to just use sunshine days/year.

JCMallory
01-29-2016, 01:58 PM
I know this is way late, but if you're still interested, check out the Western Regional Climate Center: Western Regional Climate Center (http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/)