Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Quickest Way to Build Hours

tannermickelson
12-17-2015, 07:34 AM
I am pretty set on the path I have chosen in order to obtain all of my licenses and certificates from a local flight school here in Texas (Redbird Skyport). As far as building hours upon completing flight school, I'm stuck. What is the quickest and most efficient way to build flight hours in order to reach that minimum TT of 1500 hrs. for regional application? I would prefer to stay in the central Texas area, but am open for other options if it means reaching that goal quicker.

I appreciate the help!

kingsnake2
12-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Have you considered working at US Aviation Academy? Its a little bit north but a busy Part 141 school to build hours. We're on track for 80,000 flight hours this year.

The recruiter is Erica Cassady if you call.

uavking
12-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Aerial survey is another option. For me, I project going from 256 TT back in June, 660 now, to 1500 right around the end of next August or September, and that's even with taking nearly two months off. True, some months/projects are better for flying time than others, but the projection is based off typical flying done during a survey season (October-May).

Quarryman
12-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Go with the aerial survey work or find someone to split the time and do it that way. Avoid flight instruction, especially foreign student flight instruction. Too much liability and headache involved. I don't know if traffic watch jobs are available anymore but I did that for a while. It was the best flying I ever did building time.

tannermickelson
12-18-2015, 02:52 PM
I appreciate the replies, and I have heard pretty good things about instructing at USAA in Texas. As far as aeriel survey flying, I'm not too familiar with that type of work, but it sounds like a great way to build hours. I will have to look into that for sure and see what opportunities are here in Texas.

JohnBurke
12-18-2015, 05:13 PM
As far as building hours upon completing flight school, I'm stuck. What is the quickest and most efficient way to build flight hours in order to reach that minimum TT of 1500 hrs. for regional application?

Falsify them. Write them in your logbook. Make them up. If hours is all you want, then you're limited by the ink in your pen.

It's also the quickest way to have your certificates revoked, but you will get hours quickly.

Build experience. Not hours.

An hour of flight time is not necessarily an hour of experience, though an hour of flight experience will always be an hour of flight time. If you're just building hours, then it doesn't matter what you do.

Go for the experience.

galaxy flyer
12-18-2015, 06:31 PM
John,

Shame on you, asking for a commitment to experience and excellence. Don't you know flying is all about getting a seniority number as early as possible, knowledge be damned?

GF

JohnBurke
12-18-2015, 06:46 PM
John,

Shame on you, asking for a commitment to experience and excellence. Don't you know flying is all about getting a seniority number as early as possible, knowledge be damned?

GF

whoops.

Disregard counsel to seek experience.

Go ahead and falsify the log. Carry on.

Gilberto Farthi
01-05-2016, 07:08 PM
I think at the initial stage, Go for the experience. So that later on, you will automatically get excellence and which will surely increase your seniority number as well.

CODs4ever
01-05-2016, 07:51 PM
I think at the initial stage, Go for the experience. So that later on, you will automatically get excellence and which will surely increase your seniority number as well.

If it's experience you want, go fly bush planes up in Alaska, or go to Indonesia and fly for that outfit which lands DHC-8s on dirt strips in mountainous terrain all over Papua New Guinea.

Next to military combat flying, I am thinking that those types of jobs are about the most intense "experience" you can get.

SeamusTheHound
01-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Being a CFI builds both hours AND experience. It will get you your first few hundred hours where you'll be able to find another opportunity at even better experience. I do agree with Burke's premise that quality trumps quantity.

JohnBurke
01-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Being a CFI builds both hours AND experience.

That depends entirely on the individual.

andylewis1977
01-11-2016, 04:47 AM
There are many colleges in Texas for Pilot training to provide aviation education for the Student who want to pursue the career in aviation. You should visit the aviation colleges nearby your location & ask for the review or experience from the students.

doublerjay
01-11-2016, 05:21 PM
There are also MANY flight schools that are hurting for CFI's at this time. Lots of them are willing to 'sponsor' someone who has completed their pilot program. Most will require a contract that you stay on a certain amount of time, say a year or so. You can build several hundred hours in a year at busy flights schools. Just call one and ask them. They aren't exactly advertising this yet, but you can work a deal out.

MartinBishop
02-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Aerial survey is another option. For me, I project going from 256 TT back in June, 660 now, to 1500 right around the end of next August or September, and that's even with taking nearly two months off. True, some months/projects are better for flying time than others, but the projection is based off typical flying done during a survey season (October-May).

1- Where does one look for those types of jobs?

2- How much do they typically pay?

3- What is the expected monthly amount of hours gained?

AvCrewBlue
02-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Jetcareers forum is a good place to start. Pay is dependent on company but generally enough to live cheaply on and that's it. WX is the big factor when it comes to hours. I've never flown less than 75 and usually average 120 per month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

uavking
02-24-2016, 06:01 PM
1- Where does one look for those types of jobs?

2- How much do they typically pay?

3- What is the expected monthly amount of hours gained?

1. Jetcareers is the spot for these jobs. That's how I found mine, and it seems to be a trend with other guys I've talked to. Keep an eye on the "jobs available" subforum because, if there is an opening mid-season, it'll pop up there.

2. Pay varies by vendor in amount and model. I'd recommend going with a vendor that treats you as a W-2 employee, preferably salaried, rather than as a 1099 contractor (tax reasons, etc.). As an example, my vendor pays a daily salary, non-taxable per diem, Foreflight pay (works out to covering the cost+), and opportunities to get incentive pay for flying hours. On top of that, I get paid single occupancy hotel and shared rental car. On an annualized basis, I'd say one might make around $30k when it's all said and done. If you're a single guy who isn't paying for an apartment, etc., it's a good package.

3. Like another guy said, hours vary largely based on weather. I've had as low as a 60 hour month, and as high as a 140 hour month. I'd say, on average, expect 100 hour months. You've got a set daily window, and if the weather holds, you hustle hard, the hours are there for the taking. Expect to be all over the country, btw.

Bassetjet
03-01-2016, 09:06 AM
How many hours could a CFI expect at US Aviation Academy? Also, I'm willing to relocate anywhere in the US, what are some other flight schools that are great to work at? I'm looking to build over a 100 hours a month.

ajm757
04-15-2016, 09:20 PM
The fastest way? Trying instructing at a busy international school in AZ, TX, CA, or FL and rent a cheap 172 or equivalent on your days off

MartinBishop
04-16-2016, 08:54 AM
3. Like another guy said, hours vary largely based on weather. I've had as low as a 60 hour month, and as high as a 140 hour month. I'd say, on average, expect 100 hour months. You've got a set daily window, and if the weather holds, you hustle hard, the hours are there for the taking. Expect to be all over the country, btw.
Is it all flying at 1500 AGL and in absolute straight lines within 1 degree? :confused:

uavking
04-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Is it all flying at 1500 AGL and in absolute straight lines within 1 degree? :confused:

The altitudes vary from 3k up to 10k, depending on the project, and while there are tolerances to fly to, they're pretty manageable. I like to say that if you can fly a LOC, or fly straight and level period, you can fly survey. Picture it as driving a Zamboni in the sky.

I'm at 78 hours this month with another half to go...

Flyhayes
04-22-2016, 11:57 AM
You can rent my skyhawk for cheap and fly the sh*t out of it :D

Steve McCroskey
06-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Jump pilot is a way to build time. Try a place that operates year round. You can start in a single engine piston, get experience and prove that you can fly safely and efficiently, and jump in a turbine once someone leaves which will be pretty quickly. Pay is ok to decent but it's long hours (think 8+ hours in the plane) on busy days and sitting around for hours on slow days. I logged 17 hours last weekend and about 14 this weekend plus 8-30 during the weekdays.

OkStateBryan
06-24-2016, 07:16 AM
I fly for a Part 135 company as an SIC. Flew 104 hours last month and still had 9 days off. Home every day too.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1