Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Island Air - Hawaii

Kudzu
01-31-2016, 05:09 PM
Looking for current hiring information

Outlook for Company with new owners
Currently hiring?
Hiring Minimums?
Is ATP written required?
How long is training?
Where is training conducted?
Junior base?
How long on reserve?
Upgrade time?

Thanks

Kudzu

Turbine
01-31-2016, 06:29 PM
I think they went bankrupt dog

7AC2B60
01-31-2016, 07:20 PM
I think they went bankrupt dog

from 2-3 minutes of online research:

Larry Ellison's Hawaii interisland airline, Island Air, being sold to two Honolulu investment firms - Pacific Business News (http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2016/01/06/larry-ellison-selling-island-air-to-hawaii.html)

Pacific Business News
January 6, 2016

---------

Island Air employment information link:

https://www.islandair.com/employment

Pilot-First Officer:

http://dam.islandair.com/originals/users/201601/4d3c5900-06a8/Pilot%20First%20Officer%20Job%20Posting%20January% 202016.pdf/Pilot%20First%20Officer%20Job%20Posting%20January% 202016.pdf

Braniff DC8
01-31-2016, 07:35 PM
Empire/Ohana always needs people.

WillFlyForSpam
01-31-2016, 10:15 PM
Looking for current hiring information

Outlook for Company with new owners
Currently hiring?
Hiring Minimums?
Is ATP written required?
How long is training?
Where is training conducted?
Junior base?
How long on reserve?
Upgrade time?

Thanks

Kudzu

PM me for info

Avroman
02-01-2016, 04:14 AM
Empire/Ohana always needs people.

Must be a top notch operation :rolleyes:

Poseidonspulse
02-01-2016, 11:33 AM
After reading 7ac2b60's links he put up, it sorts of sounds like if you meet ATP mins there is a chance they would pay for the ATP course, even though the hiring page doesn't come out and say it. Can anyone confirm yes or no? And for that matter if Empire/Ohana will pay for the ATP course if you meet mins? I took the written but will def not meet 1500 hours by this summer and I'm sure there will be many others in my same situation. So if they aren't offering to pay for the course for new hires now, maybe things will change after this summer...

BobJenkins
02-01-2016, 01:17 PM
Most regionals today will pay for ATP-CTP. The question becomes: Do you owe them a contract work period for it? Some don't. Endeavor asks for 1 year after ATP ride. Mesa requires 4 years. Some pay your salary during ATP-CTP, some only pay for the hotel and travel. You just have to talk to a recruiter or recent new hire and get the straight answer.

After reading 7ac2b60's links he put up, it sorts of sounds like if you meet ATP mins there is a chance they would pay for the ATP course, even though the hiring page doesn't come out and say it. Can anyone confirm yes or no? And for that matter if Empire/Ohana will pay for the ATP course if you meet mins? I took the written but will def not meet 1500 hours by this summer and I'm sure there will be many others in my same situation. So if they aren't offering to pay for the course for new hires now, maybe things will change after this summer...

Poseidonspulse
02-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Most regionals today will pay for ATP-CTP. The question becomes: Do you owe them a contract work period for it? Some don't. Endeavor asks for 1 year after ATP ride. Mesa requires 4 years. Some pay your salary during ATP-CTP, some only pay for the hotel and travel. You just have to talk to a recruiter or recent new hire and get the straight answer.

Thanks a lot for the response. You made some really good points. Hopefully a recent new hire from Island Air or Ohana will chime in about this soon.

WillFlyForSpam
02-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Current island air pilot here. The DO did say that ATP/CTP help WILL be provided if hired. A new class just started this week and I heard they will have a few more for the next few months. New owners seem to want to expand as new routes/lines have been announced for March.

Gilberto Farthi
02-04-2016, 02:21 AM
Island Air | AirlinePilotCentral.com (http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/island_air)
Hope this may help you somewhat.

kiwiflyer
02-17-2016, 05:57 AM
So Spam, How long is the upgrade to Captain. I am part 135 and 2500 hrs ATP etc. Also looking at moving to Oahu soon.

CATIII
02-17-2016, 06:18 AM
So Spam, How long is the upgrade to Captain. I am part 135 and 2500 hrs ATP etc. Also looking at moving to Oahu soon.

go work for Mokulele as a street CA for $50K ... they're dying for qualified CAs/pilots to baby sit the FO's building up to 1500 ATP mins..

WillFlyForSpam
02-17-2016, 08:58 AM
go work for Mokulele as a street CA for $50K ... they're dying for qualified CAs/pilots to baby sit the FO's building up to 1500 ATP mins..

You mean 36k?

CATIII
02-17-2016, 09:24 AM
You mean 36k?

Not if you sign a 2 yr contract. That's the last I heard.

kiwiflyer
02-18-2016, 05:26 AM
I talked to the Chief pilot at Mokulele and it's about $47000 plus so not a bad gig. Captains at Island Air will be paid more. Just wondering about the upgrade times and QOL there.

CATIII
02-18-2016, 05:58 AM
I talked to the Chief pilot at Mokulele and it's about $47000 plus so not a bad gig. Captains at Island Air will be paid more. Just wondering about the upgrade times and QOL there.

upgrade there is years... 5+ at Mokulele it's instant.

Gjn290
02-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Lots of lifers at WP, or should I say people who will only leave if Hawaiian hires them.

loveme117
02-18-2016, 09:07 AM
upgrade there is years... 5+ at Mokulele it's instant.

Mokulele turns a lot of FO's into Captains from what I hear, and not everyone bails once they hit 1500. If they could only level out the flying between the bases - some HNL crews may fly all day, while the Kona crews start at like 7AM, done at 2PM, new crew flies until 9PM, etc.

CATIII
02-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Mokulele turns a lot of FO's into Captains from what I hear, and not everyone bails once they hit 1500. If they could only level out the flying between the bases - some HNL crews may fly all day, while the Kona crews start at like 7AM, done at 2PM, new crew flies until 9PM, etc.

my ex girlfriend is there, I know all about their schedule.. and yes, "some" FO's upgrade, but many bail at 1450TT and go to the mainland to get experience.. In the end, the best bang for the buck for someone wanting to live in HNL is to go work for them as a street CA is all I'm saying.. unless your "bang" is hours and not $$

The HNL crews either work AM's or PMs... most days are 6-8 legs and less than 8 hours.. she had it pretty good.. with 14+ days off usually.

WillFlyForSpam
02-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Not if you sign a 2 yr contract. That's the last I heard.

It's 46k for the 2 year contract. I signed the one year and got the 36k. Aaaaand one year of it was quite enough for me.

alaskadrifter
03-28-2016, 10:23 PM
I was looking on their career page and saw they were offering a $12k hiring bonus and a $5k in moving assistance. Anyone have the scoop on that?

WillFlyForSpam
03-28-2016, 10:28 PM
I was looking on their career page and saw they were offering a $12k hiring bonus and a $5k in moving assistance. Anyone have the scoop on that?

It's still there. 12k is in 4 increments.

alaskadrifter
03-29-2016, 06:35 AM
It's still there. 12k is in 4 increments.

How long do new hires sit reserve?

WillFlyForSpam
03-29-2016, 10:50 AM
How long do new hires sit reserve?

Depends on when you get in. If you wait any longer than reserve could be 3-6 months MAYBE. I finished IOE on Jan 20th and I can hold a line for April. However I bid for reserve in April cause I have stuff to do at home so the guys below me will get to hold my line.

FlyinBayan
06-16-2016, 10:45 PM
Return service back to Kona! More flights! More pilots? I wish I knew! Haven't got a call and they haven't responded to my emails. Howsit Spam, would you know if they are still having classes in the near future?

Makai
06-16-2016, 11:28 PM
Return service back to Kona! More flights! More pilots? I wish I knew! Haven't got a call and they haven't responded to my emails. Howsit Spam, would you know if they are still having classes in the near future?

Hiring will continue for a while...keep at it!

FlyinBayan
06-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Hiring will continue for a while...keep at it!

Appreciate the reply Makai, you don't know how reassuring your words are! Are you currently flying for them? Or have? Thanks again!

Makai
06-17-2016, 01:21 PM
I have friends that fly at Island Air. It's a great gig if you live in Hawaii and just starting out your career. If you're living in the states I wouldn't recommend it with all the options out there now.

FlyinBayan
06-17-2016, 01:43 PM
I see, I've been weighing out the options. IA sounds appealing though. Home every night, signing bonus, Hawaii livin (Expensive, but I've lived relatively broke most my life anyway), great weather but lots of legs, and fly with good peoples. But again, this would be my first 121 gig, so I might be a little short sighted. Thanks for the reply!

EJetter2016
06-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Is it block or better at island air?

No hourly per diem?

Cancellation pay?

WillFlyForSpam
06-21-2016, 12:29 AM
Is it block or better at island air?

No hourly per diem?

Cancellation pay?

Block or better.

No perdiem.

You just get whatever the line is blocked at if its canceled. Unless you're reserve so you'd get the reserve pay.

EJetter2016
06-21-2016, 10:40 PM
Sounds pretty good. Any hiring going on? Do the ATR's have an FMS?

Makai
06-23-2016, 01:54 AM
Sounds pretty good. Any hiring going on? Do the ATR's have an FMS?

If it is true and your building experience in the E-170?! No reason to go to Island Air. No FMS, it's a dive and drive airline. It will always be second to Hawaiian Airlines in the Islands. Like said in previous posts it's a good gig if your from Hawaii in search of your first rodeo, or your last option if all 121 options in the states have said no.

Captain Beaker
07-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Is it likely or practical, to either be based in maui, or at least live there, while working as a newly hired FO for Island Air?

Makai
07-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Once off reserve it's not bad. AM and PM lines. If you start a later AM line you can catch the first Hawaiian flight out of Maui. If you go the PM route probably using Aloha Air Cargo to go home. Commuting on reserve is impossible unless you have a crash pad or place to stay on Oahu.

Ebborts
07-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Aloha, anyone else in the July 25 class?

Braniff DC8
07-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Are they hiring Captains? Ohana/Empire pays a bit better. Island Air is poised to grow and be great again but it seems they keep getting sold and bought and can never get ahead.

CaptainDooley
08-04-2016, 07:08 AM
what is the latest news for WP?
are they adding routes and hiring?
have they hired anyone from the mainland?

WillFlyForSpam
08-04-2016, 10:48 AM
what is the latest news for WP?
are they adding routes and hiring?
have they hired anyone from the mainland?

Expanding as fast as the state allows them to. Which isn't quick but they're slowly making it happen. Just passed a new contract which might be the highest payscale of any regional (which is what our MEC told us). Mainland guys are getting hired here but none commute. It's not easy with a daily schedule like ours with no overnights.

CaptainDooley
08-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Are they hiring street CAs?

WillFlyForSpam
08-05-2016, 06:50 AM
Are they hiring street CAs?

Yes.

Filler.

Gjn290
08-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Yes.

Filler.

Former WP'er here. I'm curious about the new contract. Can you share some of the highlights of it: pay rates, min day, work rules, etc... Thanks.

Avroman
08-05-2016, 06:45 PM
If it doesn't either pay enough to afford to live on island or provide enough time off to live on the mainland and commute, then I just don't see what it matters. Hawai'i is a terribly expensive place, on par with New York, but much less commutable. (though a much nicer place)... I've considered Hawaiian, but the FO pay isn't island livable on its own... I can't imagine Island Air can do any better even for a captain pay.

3inthegreen
08-05-2016, 06:47 PM
What is pay like with the new contract?

csucbrown
01-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Haven't heard much from this place, replacing the ATR fleet with Q400s? Any growth? Street captains?

WillFlyForSpam
01-08-2017, 10:11 PM
Haven't heard much from this place, replacing the ATR fleet with Q400s? Any growth? Street captains?

Yes, yes, and yes but not for much longer.

First Q started proving runs last week.

surfpilot1414
01-15-2017, 09:18 AM
Sitting on 1300TT trying to decide which regionals to apply with, interested in Skywest (Lax) commute to HNL or Island air so I wouldn't commute. Just wanted to give the island living thing a try. Any thoughts?

Dhood84
01-15-2017, 02:10 PM
Sitting on 1300TT trying to decide which regionals to apply with, interested in Skywest (Lax) commute to HNL or Island air so I wouldn't commute. Just wanted to give the island living thing a try. Any thoughts?

It's expensive.....like REALLY expensive. Living on island is slow, confined and boring after 2 months. If you like the slow life, then it will work, but you will be broke.

DH

WillFlyForSpam
01-15-2017, 05:07 PM

Are you from HI or currently live here ?

Griffin20
01-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Can someone tell me if the upgrade is once meeting 121 PIC req's or is it up to around 1.5 years? I am seriously considering making the move from other regional. Mahalo!

Paid2fly
01-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Can someone tell me if the upgrade still once meeting 121 PIC req's or are we up to around 1.5 years? I am seriously considering making the move from other regional. Mahalo!

English please...:confused:

Gjn290
01-15-2017, 05:53 PM
It's expensive.....like REALLY expensive. Living on island is slow, confined and boring after 2 months. If you like the slow life, then it will work, but you will be broke.

DH

Have you lived in the Islands before?

surfpilot1414
01-15-2017, 07:44 PM

DH

Is more expensive than California? I just want to be able to surf on my days off lol.

WillFlyForSpam
01-15-2017, 07:51 PM
I'm a current Island Air FO. I don't know where the PM feature of this site went but I can help with any questions.

surfpilot1414
01-15-2017, 07:51 PM
Are you from HI or currently live here ?

No. I'm from the east coast of FL, but I've been going to the north shore since I was a teenager so I've spent some time there. I know the cost of living is high but I have friends who live there and they're not rich by any means but they seem to get by okay. I'm just trying to get some info on these two companies I'm interested in.

Poseidonspulse
01-15-2017, 08:27 PM
I'm a current Island Air FO. I don't know where the PM feature of this site went but I can help with any questions.

Pm sent WillFlyForSpam

Kingfisher
01-15-2017, 08:48 PM

Your PM function is most likely turned off. Assuming you're viewing APC using a full browser, it's normally located in the upper right hand corner under Welcome, WillFlyForSpam and you would see " Private Messages: Unread X, Total X ", the underlined being clickable.

Anyways, to turn it on, upper left-hand corner, click User CP. On the left side under Settings and Options, click Edit Options. After the Options menu opens, scroll down to Messaging and Notification and ensure the box is checked for Enable Private Messaging.

Dhood84
01-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Have you lived in the Islands before?

I have. I was based in Kahului and lived in Wailuku.

DH

Dhood84
01-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Is more expensive than California? I just want to be able to surf on my days off lol.

Yes....I remember a gallon of milk being almost $8, just put that into your cranium.

DH

HighFlight
01-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Only in select places. Sam's always had it for $3-4.

And if you think $8 is bad, you should check out the price of a gallon in Barrow, AK...

Yes....I remember a gallon of milk being almost $8, just put that into your cranium.

DH

PositveRate
01-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Anyone have info on if the Qs are replacing the ATRs?
How's scheduling?
What program do you use for seeing trips/open time?
Is it 5 leg days?

Jet1337
02-04-2017, 07:13 AM
Spoke with WP at FAPA yesterday-
2 Qs flying. 3rd in April. A 4th in May or possibly in March (before the 3rd?). Goal is to replace remaining ATRs by the end of the year if not sooner.
I was told the company is targeting to expand the pilot group to 90 (currently around 50) by the end of this year. Hiring into Q only.
Frequencies will nearly double by this May- just announced yesterday.
Day trips- Am/PM starts. Home every night. 6 leg days. Maybe more with increased frequency...
Open time paid at 150%
$5k relocation package plus coach ticket to HNL for employee and spouse/dependents. $12k bonus paid over 18 months.

Braniff DC8
02-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Any additional cities?

Bravix
02-05-2017, 01:27 AM
Any additional cities?

It's Hawai'i man.

So no.

You been to Hawai'i before? The other airports aren't particularly large.

Plus side, you'd be home every night.

Bravix
02-05-2017, 01:30 AM
I have. I was based in Kahului and lived in Wailuku.

DH

Was born in Wailuku. Island life is slow. I don't think I'd want to live there again, not my cup of tea. Nice place to vacation.

The racism also sucked, though that was in Kona. Might be better in Honolulu, I don't know, didn't spend much time there.

Poseidonspulse
02-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Are people getting hired at HAL from island air without prior jet time? Would love to come fly at Island Air with the goal being HAL down the line. I have heard that HAL prefers jet time on the mainland w/ weather experience, so some choose to fly at a regional on the mainland before trying to get on with Hawaiian. Any thoughts?

Aviator147
02-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Are people getting hired at HAL from island air without prior jet time? Would love to come fly at Island Air with the goal being HAL down the line. I have heard that HAL prefers jet time on the mainland w/ weather experience, so some choose to fly at a regional on the mainland before trying to get on with Hawaiian. Any thoughts?

I have flown with a couple FOs at my mainland regional who came from island air to get that mainland jet time. So it seems HAL still wants that. As the 2-3 people i've flown with both had more Total time than me and they were sitting right seat building jet time.

TimetoClimb
02-05-2017, 06:34 PM

I think they prefer candidates to have some 121 mainland time, whether it's jet or turboprop may not matter as much.

Makai
02-05-2017, 11:17 PM
Island Air time is good enough. People not from Hawaii are starting to leave to brown and the big 3. In order not to get burned, local guys/gals probably get looked at closer now that everyone hiring.

spikemath
02-06-2017, 08:03 AM
How is the training at Island Air? Where is it provided and who are they contracted with? Is their street captain training pretty good?

WillFlyForSpam
02-06-2017, 10:12 AM
A decent number of island air guys/gals went to HA last year. A few FOs but mostly captains. I'd say there was at least one or two Island air pilots in each HA class last year. Others who left went to Omni, Allegiant, and Aloha Cargo. The top 10 captains are probably never leaving.

Sim Training is done at Flightsafety with Island air instructors, and all ground stuff is here at HNL with no one being hired into the ATR. Everyone is going to the Q.

Gnote
02-09-2017, 03:01 PM
How is the interview at Island Air? Is there a current gouge? What is current upgrade time like?

Kingfisher
02-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Anyone here in the March 2 class? PM me.

WillFlyForSpam
02-18-2017, 11:16 PM
Anyone here in the March 2 class? PM me.

A friend of mine is in it as a new hire . There should be a few ATR guys in it too. Well at least when you guys start systems they will be.

WeHaveWhiskey
02-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Just applied with no internal recs. Is there anything they're specifically looking for? I'm looking to move out to the islands for my wife's job. Hoping to get a call back!

WillFlyForSpam
02-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Just applied with no internal recs. Is there anything they're specifically looking for? I'm looking to move out to the islands for my wife's job. Hoping to get a call back!

ATP mins, a pulse, and a good attitude.

Ceeuh
02-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Just curious, what kind of flight bennies does IA offer to their pilots?

1900dr
02-28-2017, 03:45 PM
How's the schedule. Is it like a 4 on 3 off schedule? Or do you only get 1 or 2 days off between pairings?

Ready4departure
03-19-2017, 05:52 AM
How is the interview at Island Air? Is there a current gouge? What is current upgrade time like?

Island Air Pilot Interview Profiles (http://www.willflyforfood.com/pilot-interviews/149/Island-Air.html)

This is a Captain interview from January. Its the only recent one I could really find. Anybody have anything else to share?

WillFlyForSpam
03-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Island Air Pilot Interview Profiles (http://www.willflyforfood.com/pilot-interviews/149/Island-Air.html)

This is a Captain interview from January. Its the only recent one I could really find. Anybody have anything else to share?

Sounds about right.

falsecracks
03-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Just curious, what kind of flight bennies does IA offer to their pilots?

After 30 days of employment, unlimited free stand-by passes on Island Air for employee, spouse, dependent children, and employee's parents. After 6 months of employment, eligible to fly on other airlines between Hawaii and the mainland and select international destinations. (straight from IA's job page) You will be put in CASS around 2-3 weeks into groundschool.

You use myIDTravel and ID90 to book non-rev flights.

coldtaco
03-20-2017, 09:11 PM
so, tried to find the answer, don't know if it's burried in this thread somewhere or not so what is the work schedule here? Do you bid on anything? or just what days you want to work?
Re-read this thread again and found out at least you get a am or pm daily schedule? How many days a week do you work? Is this adjustable?
Thanks.

WillFlyForSpam
03-20-2017, 10:05 PM
so, tried to find the answer, don't know if it's burried in this thread somewhere or not so what is the work schedule here? Do you bid on anything? or just what days you want to work?
Re-read this thread again and found out at least you get a am or pm daily schedule? How many days a week do you work? Is this adjustable?
Thanks.

You get whatever your seniority can hold. Some just bid for preferred days off, some bid longer days for more days off, some bid for short (2 round trip) lines but work more days a month, some don't care and some bid reserve.

falsecracks
03-28-2017, 07:21 PM
Recruiting video: https://youtu.be/Vp25qjwG0_I

boboseatlle
03-29-2017, 05:48 AM
Do many of the pilots that fly for Island Air commute from the mainland?

How hard is it to find a crash pad for commuters?

WillFlyForSpam
04-01-2017, 09:33 PM

None do. Kinda impossible with our sched. It's more of a 9-5 job.

falsecracks
04-03-2017, 06:14 AM

There are a few commuters in the recent classes, but they will soon learn this is not a commutable position like your traditional airline. Being new here, you get 10 to 13 days off. Add driving to the airport for every trip. This is a at home every night, improved quality of life gig.

If you're senior and get 15 to 16 days off, maybe it's commutable. But factor in a 5 to 6 hour flight to/from the west coast and a 2 to 3 hour timezone change depending on daylight savings and you're setting yourself up for burnout. Commuting from another island is definitely more reasonable than the mainland. Many more interisland flights between us, Hawaiian, and Trans Air.

doritos
04-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Hi! just wanted to ask some questions, I rly think Island Air is a good company to join as a pilot. I am living on the mainland but my family resides in HI (can go back any time). considering applying to Skywest or Island Air. my few concerns are, is Island air time okay when applying to majors? apparently people are moving on, so I guess it's okay with TPIC time from Island air but only 3 different destinations originating from PHNL. Will flying get redundant soon..?

Starting pay for F/O and bonuses seem very nice from Island air, compared to mainland regionals! I guess there's pros and cons depending on what one values the most.. having hard time deciding!

snackysmores
04-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Hi! just wanted to ask some questions, I rly think Island Air is a good company to join as a pilot. I am living on the mainland but my family resides in HI (can go back any time). considering applying to Skywest or Island Air. my few concerns are, is Island air time okay when applying to majors? apparently people are moving on, so I guess it's okay with TPIC time from Island air but only 3 different destinations originating from PHNL. Will flying get redundant soon..?

Starting pay for F/O and bonuses seem very nice from Island air, compared to mainland regionals! I guess there's pros and cons depending on what one values the most.. having hard time deciding!

Not island air but ANC based Horizon pilots on the Q400 only have 1 destination and they're getting hired by majors.

Squeakygreaser
04-09-2017, 07:39 PM
How reasonable would it be to commute from Kauai? Is there actually a base in Maui?

Ready4departure
04-10-2017, 10:19 AM
There are a few commuters in the recent classes, but they will soon learn this is not a commutable position like your traditional airline. Being new here, you get 10 to 13 days off. Add driving to the airport for every trip. This is a at home every night, improved quality of life gig.

If you're senior and get 15 to 16 days off, maybe it's commutable. But factor in a 5 to 6 hour flight to/from the west coast and a 2 to 3 hour timezone change depending on daylight savings and you're setting yourself up for burnout. Commuting from another island is definitely more reasonable than the mainland. Many more interisland flights between us, Hawaiian, and Trans Air.

Sent you a PM.

Aurora8
04-11-2017, 07:00 PM
There are a few commuters in the recent classes, but they will soon learn this is not a commutable position like your traditional airline...Commuting from another island is definitely more reasonable than the mainland. Many more interisland flights between us, Hawaiian, and Trans Air.

So you're saying some are commuting inter-island, or only senior guys?

mtpilotpc12
04-14-2017, 10:43 PM
anybody have any info on crash pads in HNL by chance?

Thanks

TimetoClimb
04-15-2017, 06:31 PM

I can tell you that I personally know an individual who is the poster child for Hawaiian airlines but they turned him away because he needed mainland jet experience (icing thunderstorms big terminal airspace etc). He had plenty of 121 turboprop island hopping yime.The majors recognize the difference. Not saying island air time is useless by any means but I would say stay in the CONUS unless you're looking to simply enjoy the hawaii lifestyle and get to that great career airline a bit later.

falsecracks
05-23-2017, 07:25 AM
How is the training at Island Air? Where is it provided and who are they contracted with? Is their street captain training pretty good?

Here's the current newhire training footprint. Fly-in to HNL on a Wednesday. Indoc Thursday and Friday filling out HR forms and listening to various company personnel. Weekend off. General subjects, FOM, regs etc Monday-Friday. Test on Friday. Starting the following Monday is systems. About 2.5 weeks with weekends off. Test at the end. Emergency doors and equipment training thrown in there towards the end.

VPT (vritual procedure trainer) will occur just before you go to sim. 3 to 4 days of VPT in HNL. Sim training is in Seattle Flight Safety. 9 sim lessons. Then Oral and checkride. Average sim footprint is 15 to 18 days from the day you arrive til you leave. Most crews get Island Air instructors, but Flight Safety instructors are utilized as well. The oral and checkride are administered by an Island Air APD. You'll get some days off between lessons so give yourself a mental break and explore Seattle.

IOE is 5 days for both FOs and CAs.

As with any new aircraft, there are some growing pains. Our training manuals need updating. Overall it's a good program. Just have a good attitude, don't complain and you'll get through it. If you need extra sim sessions, the company will give you more time as long as progress is made and (again) you have a good attitude. I heard recently 2 pilots were given a second round of 9 sim lessons. Another pilot failed the checkride and was a source of constant complaining. Got the boot!

1900dr
05-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Great post. Is training Advance Qualification Program (AQP)? How about EFB for charts, manuals and company documents? Planning on starting in the summer.

falsecracks
05-27-2017, 08:45 AM
Great post. Is training Advance Qualification Program (AQP)? How about EFB for charts, manuals and company documents? Planning on starting in the summer.

No AQP. No EFB (yet). Still paper. Groundschool systems utilizes an Apple app called Ethos. Newhires are assigned an iPad with which you can setup your company email, download company manual PDFs like our FOM, FCOM, MEL, other training materials..... Our FCOM (Flight Crew Operating Manual) is our current Q400 bible. Limitations, checklists, flows, aircraft systems, etc... I would say the PDFs are our poor man's paperless option for now. Operationally speaking, our releases, weather, NOTAMs are still on paper. Luckily our Jeppesen charts are Hawaii only so we carry a small binder.

StickPig
08-18-2017, 12:09 PM
I know this is an IA thread, but anyone have any updated info for Ohana Air? Really and specifics would be great!

Mahalo!

Baja Boy
08-18-2017, 01:28 PM
I know this is an IA thread, but anyone have any updated info for Ohana Air? Really and specifics would be great!

Mahalo!

What type information are you looking for in regards to Ohana?

StickPig
08-18-2017, 01:34 PM
What type information are you looking for in regards to Ohana?

Any updates on hiring, training, line schedules, culture, upgrade times.....

I'm pretty wary when outfits advertise "guaranteed interviews" but are pilots from Ohana moving on to legacy carriers outside of Hawaiian? Currently work for a mainland regional flying CRJ's. It's a decent gig but I'm transitioning out of the Army reserves and think maybe a change of pace for a few years would be just what I need...

Baja Boy
08-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Any updates on hiring, training, line schedules, culture, upgrade times.....

I'm pretty wary when outfits advertise "guaranteed interviews" but are pilots from Ohana moving on to legacy carriers outside of Hawaiian? Currently work for a mainland regional flying CRJ's. It's a decent gig but I'm transitioning out of the Army reserves and think maybe a change of pace for a few years would be just what I need...

Currently hiring both CPT's & FO's. Training is 2 weeks at Corporate office then 6 weeks at Flight Safety. Current shifts are either morning runs or afternoon runs with days off depending on what line you bid. Good culture, like any family you have the weird uncle around sometimes. Upgrade time is when you meet the mins, bid a run with more flying get there quicker.

The guaranteed interview is for Hawaiian, Pilots have chosen to go to other carriers (Southwest, Alaska, etc.).

Great pay...

falsecracks
08-18-2017, 10:51 PM

Mahalo!

Check out this thread: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/91320-empire-airlines-8.html

I had an Empire/Ohana jumpseater the other day and spoke with him in length (more for a friend that is shopping around for regionals). While pay has recently been increased, there are some warning flags: It's salary so any extra flying picked up/assigned will not be added to your salary.... Airport ready reserve. That alone should be a no-go... 18 or 24 month training contract. Can't remember the exact duration, but I can't think of any other regional that currently requires one. No union so no defined work rules other than Part 117 and their company manual. He said everyone is working their tail off to the max. Maybe 8 or 9 days off per month starting out. Home every night though.
And be careful with guaranteed interview programs. They are huge 'recruiting' tools. Look at HAL's first year pay. If HAL is your final destination and Hawaii is home, then you're set.

Chris99
08-19-2017, 06:45 AM
Check out this thread: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/91320-empire-airlines-8.html

I had an Empire/Ohana jumpseater the other day and spoke with him in length (more for a friend that is shopping around for regionals). While pay has recently been increased, there are some warning flags: It's salary so any extra flying picked up/assigned will not be added to your salary.... Airport ready reserve. That alone should be a no-go... 18 or 24 month training contract. Can't remember the exact duration, but I can't think of any other regional that currently requires one. No union so no defined work rules other than Part 117 and their company manual. He said everyone is working their tail off to the max. Maybe 8 or 9 days off per month starting out. Home every night though.
And be careful with guaranteed interview programs. They are huge 'recruiting' tools. Look at HAL's first year pay. If HAL is your final destination and Hawaii is home, then you're set.Any idea how long their typical day/overnights are?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Aurora8
08-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Currently hiring both CPT's & FO's. Training is 2 weeks at Corporate office then 6 weeks at Flight Safety. Current shifts are either morning runs or afternoon runs with days off depending on what line you bid. Good culture, like any family you have the weird uncle around sometimes. Upgrade time is when you meet the mins, bid a run with more flying get there quicker.

The guaranteed interview is for Hawaiian, Pilots have chosen to go to other carriers (Southwest, Alaska, etc.).

Great pay...

Is there a training contract?

WillFlyForSpam
08-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Yes.

Filler

Baja Boy
08-21-2017, 06:25 AM

There is no training contract at Ohana.

Baja Boy
08-21-2017, 06:33 AM

And be careful with guaranteed interview programs. They are huge 'recruiting' tools. Look at HAL's first year pay. If HAL is your final destination and Hawaii is home, then you're set.

There are no training contracts at Ohana. They also have extra work for extra pay adders, I believe it is $200 per day worked after 18 scheduled work days a month.

Baja Boy
08-21-2017, 06:40 AM
Any idea how long their typical day/overnights are?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

A typical day depends on what you bid, most bids are morning or afternoon flying. Again depend on the line, for morning lines it is arrive around 6-8 am and fly to 1-3 pm; for afternoon lines it is arrive around 1-3 pm and fly until 8-10.

skruts
08-21-2017, 08:31 PM
With respect to both IA and Ohana, are pilots moving to Hawaiian regularly from both? Has the Ohana guaranteed interview program been successful?

falsecracks
08-26-2017, 06:42 PM
It's interesting to see Compass Airlines recently touting that they have the highest first year pay in the regional airline industry at $41 come this Fall. Island Air is at $42.81. (Even Corvus/Ravn shows $50 first year according to their APC page.) Island Air first year pay will go to $46.30 on Jan 1 2018, $48.45 on Jan 1 2019, and $49.90 by Dec 1 2019.
Yes, bring in the Hawaii CoL, but it's no different than being based in LAX... and SEA is not far behind.

falsecracks
08-26-2017, 06:44 PM
With respect to both IA and Ohana, are pilots moving to Hawaiian regularly from both? Has the Ohana guaranteed interview program been successful?

Cant' speak for Ohana but 1 WP pilot left back in July for HAL. Another just recently interviewed and got an offer.

Aurora8
08-28-2017, 02:00 AM
Yes, bring in the Hawaii CoL, but it's no different than being based in LAX... and SEA is not far behind.

Yes, a lot of people say, "Hawaii!? Forget it, it's way too expensive," but I think they're a little out of touch as to what it costs to live in most major US cities these days.
I had the choice of staying domiciled in Detroit (of course, wasn't going to live in Detroit proper :eek:), or moving to Honolulu. Decent 2 bed apts in Ann Arbor (about as close as I want to get to DTW) are over $1,500 a month; better apartments in HNL seem to be maybe $100 -200 more a month, but they have pools, etc. Used cars on Craigslist are no more expensive, I don't drink milk ($ that's always brought up), and those people that think traffic is bad in HNL haven't lived in Sydney (I have) or LA (I have) or SEA (Grew up there and it's REALLY bad - probably the worst now!).
True, I could buy an okay 3 bed house in Ann Arbor for $250K (you wont' find a home for that in LAX or SEA) and for the same I'll get a 2 bed condo in HNL - but I won't be shoveling snow all winter!
I nearly doubled my salary by going to HNL... I think that will more than cover the somewhat higher cost of living. But the best thing is - I'll be home with my wife and kids every night!

Baja Boy
08-28-2017, 08:27 AM

As for Ohana, yes Pilots are moving from Ohana to Hawaiian on a regular basis.

sidestep
08-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Yes, a lot of people say, "Hawaii!? Forget it, it's way too expensive," but I think they're a little out of touch as to what it costs to live in most major US cities these days.
I had the choice of staying domiciled in Detroit (of course, wasn't going to live in Detroit proper :eek:), or moving to Honolulu. Decent 2 bed apts in Ann Arbor (about as close as I want to get to DTW) are over $1,500 a month; better apartments in HNL seem to be maybe $100 -200 more a month, but they have pools, etc. Used cars on Craigslist are no more expensive, I don't drink milk ($ that's always brought up), and those people that think traffic is bad in HNL haven't lived in Sydney (I have) or LA (I have) or SEA (Grew up there and it's REALLY bad - probably the worst now!).
True, I could buy an okay 3 bed house in Ann Arbor for $250K (you wont' find a home for that in LAX or SEA) and for the same I'll get a 2 bed condo in HNL - but I won't be shoveling snow all winter!
I nearly doubled my salary by going to HNL... I think that will more than cover the somewhat higher cost of living. But the best thing is - I'll be home with my wife and kids every night!

Lived on Oahu for 7 years. I'd be a bit scared to see the 2bd condo that costs $250k on Oahu. CoL is more than just housing - groceries, gas, countless other day to day items cost 20-30% more (sunshine tax) Public education for your kids I assume?

HI works for some - for others, having the option of less expensive housing around multiple bases is more ideal.

To each their own, and if you are new to HA/HI I'd be curious to see if your perspective of Oahu changes in the next few years. Good luck!

TimetoClimb
08-28-2017, 05:10 PM
As for Ohana, yes Pilots are moving from Ohana to Hawaiian on a regular basis.

Wondering about this myself... I'm a regional FO on the mainland with 1600TT, most of it Turbine SIC. My end goal is Hawaiian and I know they like to see mainland time which I have 1200hrs of at a 135, and 100hrs of at a 121 carrier. I'm considering making the jump to Ohana because I want to get back to Hawaii and cause of the significant pay raise it represents, but i'm afraid that perhaps it wont look good making a lateral move (especially considering I started here not long ago) , and I've been told by current HAL pilots I should just wait till Hawaiian calls me from my current shop, but I figure it could be 3 yrs for me to get to 3500TT and I would really like to get back home sooner.
Decisions, decisions...

Aurora8
08-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Lived on Oahu for 7 years. I'd be a bit scared to see the 2bd condo that costs $250k on Oahu. CoL is more than just housing - groceries, gas, countless other day to day items cost 20-30% more (sunshine tax) Public education for your kids I assume?

HI works for some - for others, having the option of less expensive housing around multiple bases is more ideal.

To each their own, and if you are new to HA/HI I'd be curious to see if your perspective of Oahu changes in the next few years. Good luck!

Thanks. I know nowhere is perfect...I'm not going in with blinders on, just a positive attitude.

Baja Boy
08-29-2017, 06:34 AM
Wondering about this myself... I'm a regional FO on the mainland with 1600TT, most of it Turbine SIC. My end goal is Hawaiian and I know they like to see mainland time which I have 1200hrs of at a 135, and 100hrs of at a 121 carrier. I'm considering making the jump to Ohana because I want to get back to Hawaii and cause of the significant pay raise it represents, but i'm afraid that perhaps it wont look good making a lateral move (especially considering I started here not long ago) , and I've been told by current HAL pilots I should just wait till Hawaiian calls me from my current shop, but I figure it could be 3 yrs for me to get to 3500TT and I would really like to get back home sooner.
Decisions, decisions...

The Ohana Flight Ops works closely with the Hawaiian Flight Ops group. If your final goal is to work for Hawaiian, I would think that it would be a win win situation to fly for Ohana.

Aurora8
09-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Is Island Air still hiring? Did they have an August class? Just wondering: I have all the requirements plus, but can't get a response from anyone there...:confused:

falsecracks
09-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Is Island Air still hiring? Did they have an August class? Just wondering: I have all the requirements plus, but can't get a response from anyone there...:confused:

Yes there is an August class and they are finishing up soon. 8 pilots, 2 CAs and 6 FOs. Word/rumor is the next class may not be until December/January barring any massive attrition. (There is still the captain and first officer job listings at the company website so we could just be accepting resumes and interviewing for a pool). Did you email [email protected] ? Try our pilot recruiter Amy Lewis directly at: [email protected] . Did you apply for a captain or first officer position? We're sitting at just over 70 pilots. A bit heavy on the captain side. We definitely need a few more FOs. One FO recently left for Frontier.

Our last ATR flew Monday for its final day and that should be going to the pasture. The 6th Q400 replacing it should be here soon. The rest of the ATR crew begin transitioning at the end of this month. No one knows what's going to happen after the 6th airplane arrives. Our current ramp space does not allow for more than 6 airplanes anyways. There are official plans to move our operation to the east side of the airport terminal in June 2018, next to United's 777 gates. That should allow for more growth.

There will be an 8% pay raise by January 1, 2018 per our contract. :)

808shootz
10-16-2017, 08:20 PM
https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2017/10/16/island-air-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy-protection.html

Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Varsity
10-17-2017, 07:58 AM
Wow,

Two Q400's already flown back to Canada.

TimetoClimb
10-18-2017, 07:57 AM
What a bummer...this airline has been up and down for years. Hopefully this is the good type of chp11 like republic went through.

FloridaLarry
10-18-2017, 03:25 PM
What a bummer...this airline has been up and down for years. Hopefully this is the good type of chp11 like republic went through.
Not likely, if the Q400s are already back in Canada.

It's hard to convince anyone you are a viable airline business without aircraft.

808shootz
10-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Well this is embarrassing.... I could just imagine this unfolding on "Airplane Repo" ... :(
And to add, a solid source said the company was about to get cut off from Flight Safety for not paying the simulator bills back in May/June.

https://advisornews.com/oarticle/island-air-lessor-tried-to-repossess-three-planes

Oct. 18--Just days before Island Air filed for bankruptcy protection, it was in a pitched battle with the owner of three of its five planes to prevent the turboprops from being repossessed.
Island Air was $4.4 million behind on lease payments to Dublin, Ireland-*based Elix Assets 8 Ltd., owner of the three planes, when two Elix representatives showed up in Hawaii to take possession of the aircraft, Island Air said in a Tuesday filing in federal Bankruptcy Court.

808shootz
10-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Let's look at recent events. In mid September, 2 airplanes were pulled from service. It just happened to be these 2 airplanes were the used Qs that sat in the desert for several years (formerly operated by Colgan) and were maintenance nightmares for us. Tough lesson to learn when obtaining used aircraft. The aforementioned 3 airplanes, that were nearly repossessed, are factory new under a different lessor.

With the removal of 2 aircraft, our DO stated that we would get those 2 aircraft back by mid November in the form of either a factory new and/or another used. He said 1 could be a 'classic Q400' meaning one of the first ones built with less seats (74?) making it even older than the 2 we just returned. (Seriously? After what we just went through with the previous used ones.) In addition to getting back 2 aircraft, a new destination would be announced. It was also stated that there would be no furloughs. Well, the November schedule was published last week.... and we still are operating 3 aircraft... with 70 pilots...... and no new city. (excluding the Lana'i charter)

Fast forward to the 16th and we're now under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection because we can't pay the bills. It has been pitched that a "reorganization" is needed, yet jobs, salaries, and benefits will not be affected. Reorganization is just a fancy word for cutting the excess. You have to be naive to think that continuing to operate 3 aircraft with 70 pilots (and 60ish FAs?) is financially viable. At best, you need 45 pilots and that's being optimistic. The company could get away with 40.

It's interesting that our bankruptcy is being compared to other airlines... like United, Hawaiian, and Japan. Are you kidding me? We are an independent, inter-island feeder with Q400s. Not an established widebody legacy operation! Then our MEC chairman compares us to Mesa's bankruptcy in a followup email. Again we have 3 turboprop aircraft. We don't have RJs and do not operate on the mainland. Aloha Airlines entered chapter 11 in 2008.... 10 days later their doors closed. That's how quickly sh!t can hit the fan. Throw in the recent Southwest Airlines 2018 news (with possible inter-island new flights) to the mix and now Island Air management and investors have their work cut out for them.

At best, nothing happens on the operational side- staff and/pay- and we continue with 3 aircraft until loads improve before we can add more aircraft. Nearly half of the crews would continue to sit on reserve hardly flying (which also isn't a great thing from a recency point of view). Leases are renegotiated and somehow we start breaking even or profiting. At worst... furloughs, captain downgrades and/or contract concessions (paycuts, work rules relaxed, etc)... which is more likely. We are told not to run for the hills with our hair on fire. Well, having a backup plan is EXACTLY what every WP pilot in the bottom third should be working on right now. I'm guessing HAL, Aloha Air Cargo, and Empire/Ohana just received (or will receive) a stack of applications from WP pilots. Next week, I urge all WP pilots to go to one of the ALPA meetings. $4.4 mil behind on aircraft payments is a huge red flag.

808shootz
10-20-2017, 07:38 AM
Island Air allowed limited use of cash for payroll | West Hawaii Today (http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/state-wire/island-air-allowed-limited-use-cash-payroll)

From bad to worse? The company wasn't paying its aircraft bills. And now needs to dig into its cash reserves to make payroll? :confused: well at least the checks last night.

falsecracks
10-25-2017, 09:43 PM
https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2017/10/25/lessor-sues-island-air-for-entire-fleet.html

Wells Fargo (http://companies.bizjournals.com/profile/wells-fargo/127353/) Bank Northwest, National Association filed a lawsuit Tuesday against Island Air (http://companies.bizjournals.com/profile/island-air/208425/) in an attempt to retrieve the airline's three aircraft, which comprises the its entire fleet.
Wells Fargo (http://companies.bizjournals.com/profile/wells-fargo/127353/), the trustee of Island Air’s (http://companies.bizjournals.com/profile/island-air/208425/) three Bombardier Q400 turboprops, filed the appeal to prohibit the Honolulu-based airline from using the three aircraft and to pay Ireland-based lessor Elix Assets 8 Ltd the $4.58 million it is owed.
In the lawsuit, Elix claims the values of the aircraft – which are worth a total of about $75 million – are depreciating daily due to the airline’s “improper operation.”
Elix said Island Air (http://companies.bizjournals.com/profile/island-air/208425/), which filed for an emergency Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection (https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2017/10/16/island-air-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy-protection.html) last week, has not paid rent or maintenance reserves since July. The airline is currently using cash collateral until a final hearing on Nov. 8 (https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2017/10/20/hawaii-bankruptcy-judge-sets-final-hearing-between.html).
In a hearing last week, U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Robert Faris said Island Air (http://companies.bizjournals.com/profile/island-air/208425/) must present a budget by Oct. 27, ahead of the November hearing.
The airline currently operates 200 flights each week between the four major Islands and employs more than 400 individuals.

sACKtis
10-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Someone please remember to turn the lights off on their way out

skruts
11-09-2017, 05:39 PM
KHNL : Island Air says it has 'exhausted all options,' will shut down (http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsnow/db_330510/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Pgt62hBe)

I guess that's a wrap folks?

RJSAviator76
11-09-2017, 07:08 PM
WP employees are some of the nicest people I have ever met. So sorry this happened. :(

Hang in there boys and girls... onward to bigger and better things.

tikicarver
11-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Aloha Air Cargo plans to have a new hire class Feb/Mar.
The will be hiring a bunch more in 2018 once the 767 gets going.
The first 767 is on property, they are just waiting for the FAA to approve the training program so their pilots can fly it. Estimate is it will happen by the end of 2017.
current First yr pay for 737 FO is 70/hr.
It will go up when new contract is signed, because they also are currently giving a retention bonus that will be absorbed into the new pay rates.

Baja Boy
11-10-2017, 12:17 PM
For anyone looking to stay in Hawaii, Ohana by Hawaiian is looking for and hiring Captains and First Officers. Please come see us at the FAPA Event or apply online.

aviatorhi
11-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Just goes to show you that idiotic management can still run an airline into a smoldering crater even in a booming economy.

StickPig
11-13-2017, 01:43 PM
For anyone looking to stay in Hawaii, Ohana by Hawaiian is looking for and hiring Captains and First Officers. Please come see us at the FAPA Event or apply online.

Just applied. Any insight to the process application process once submitted?

Baja Boy
11-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Just applied. Any insight to the process application process once submitted?

The Recruiter & Chief Pilot reviews applications and then sends out invites for telephone interviews. The process usually only takes a day or two until you are contacted. Good luck.

AKcharger
11-16-2017, 05:44 PM
I flew for them contract when they timed out their -8's...nice people, sad to see this happen

qadcaps
12-05-2017, 04:55 AM
Tuesday to Thursday Qantas will be conducting a roadshow presentation for opportunities in Australia for DHC8 endorsed pilots. Includes time set aside for interviews and sim rides. Live the dream.

808shootz
12-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Just goes to show you that idiotic management can still run an airline into a smoldering crater even in a booming economy.

Island Air didn?t fund health plans, may have thwarted COBRA coverage (http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/12/05/business/island-air-didnt-fund-health-plans-may-have-thwarted-cobra-coverage/?HSA=6910599cb54b6b3418244a392d86062e9fe09737)

Add more insult to injury... on top of not paying the Q400 leases all year, "The state’s second-largest airline did not make the premium payments that were due Nov. 1. At the time, it owed $137,352 to HMAA, $40,742 to Kaiser and $14,517 to HDS.".....

"Island Air employees lost their eligibility for COBRA coverage because the company laid off all its employees and no longer exists. Consequently, there is no group health insurance rate. Had Island Air retained at least one employee in December and paid November premiums, there would have been a group rate in existence and employees would have been eligible to apply for COBRA."

It was admitted no one at the company truly knew the break even or profit margin for the Q400s. Ask 3 different people how many seats needed to be sold just to break even? You got 3 completely different answers not even in the same ballpark. Business 101!!! 400+ people got screwed in the end.

aviatorhi
12-08-2017, 04:10 AM
On top of that... as I posted in the other island air thread. It appears many employees have lost access to their 401ks. Which in some cases were not being correctly funded.

RonSpiteri
12-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Tuesday to Thursday Qantas will be conducting a roadshow presentation for opportunities in Australia for DHC8 endorsed pilots. Includes time set aside for interviews and sim rides. Live the dream.

Just a heads up from an aussie (who flies for a regional in the states). Qantaslink does not pay well enough to allow you to live in any of the major east coast cities that they will try and base you in.
The cost of living anywhere in Australia is similar to LA, SFO, NYC etc but your dollar is worth a lot less (I grew up in Sydney and have lived all over Australia, now residing in the mid west USA).
Its a stepping stone job with almost no flow through to Qantas mainline and as an expat you can forget about that.
Time to command is 3+ years.
They have spent the last 2 years being overly picky when recruiting local pilots and as a result have ended up short staffed. They have many pilots who have been offered jobs only then to put them on a hold list for 12+ months.
Why they are attempting to recruit abroad baffles the mind ?
Plenty of USA regional jobs with street captain positions (with the 1000 hours 121 time) going at the moment.

Aurora8
12-09-2017, 11:14 AM

Nah, you have to wear that sissy uniform...white hats?! LOL!

Braniff DC8
12-09-2017, 01:48 PM
So the clipper pilots and susequent pilots at Pan Am were sissies? Air Jamaica wore white hats as well.

I think flying around the world in old piston airplanes after flying the Berlin Airlift, amongst other things, in WHITE HATS, does not make you a sissy.

Pretty ignorant post.

Aurora8
12-09-2017, 09:54 PM
So the clipper pilots and susequent pilots at Pan Am were sissies? Air Jamaica wore white hats as well.

I think flying around the world in old piston airplanes after flying the Berlin Airlift, amongst other things, in WHITE HATS, does not make you a sissy.

Pretty ignorant post.

Just a joke, cranky pants!

(By the way, I flew for Queer And Nasty Try Another Service)

VHDSJ
12-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Anyone at Island Air attend the Qantas Link Roadshow last week, offering DASH 8 drivers an opportunity to live and work in Australia?

http://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6343594678151188480

808shootz
12-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Anyone at Island Air attend the Qantas Link Roadshow last week, offering DASH 8 drivers an opportunity to live and work in Australia?

http://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6343594678151188480

This is an excerpt from one of the WP pilots that attended. (Some info deleted or reworded to hide identity.):

They have Q400/300 positions in three locations in Australia, first officers start at $80,000 Australian. Captains, line-check airman, and simulator instructors are in the 120-160K range. Schedule is home every night, or 1 night out trips. Extremely generous duty rig, trip bonus, etc. 6-weeks vacation each year. Qantas is required to contribute to a retirement program, and must contribute (at company cost) 10% of an employees wages. They will take care of the work visa, and your family has unrestricted work privilege if they come with you. Private health coverage is about 25% of U.S. cost, and folks still use public health typically. Qantas pays for 28-days of housing when you first arrive so you can shop for a place to live. They will move your house-hold goods.

They have 49 Q400/Q300, with 6 of them in New Zealand under the Jetstar brand.

RonSpiteri
12-10-2017, 06:06 PM
anyone working in Australia on a visa will NOT be covered by the public health system, however private health insurance is much much better (and cheaper) than the joke that is the American system.

https://www.aussiemove.com/healthcare/healthcare-for-457-visa-holders

Braniff DC8
12-11-2017, 10:17 AM
I was just givin ya some shiza back is all.

Now Australia, um, go visit before you sign. Lovely place but oz can be expensive. Their culture, both in aviation and personally, is different than ours. Lovely people but we ‘Mericans are just different. If you go being an American in Oz you may find it a pain to acclimate. The Ozzies are fun and will welcome you but you are in Australia NOT America. Standards are more rigid and they can be demanding. I always wanted to go as I spent a lot of time down unda, eating a vegimite sandwich, but I was not fortunate enough. As always, any overseas job has different rules etc... Just don’t go thinking the Ozzies are just EXACTLY like us.

Aurora8
12-12-2017, 02:14 AM
Now Australia, um, go visit before you sign. Lovely place but oz can be expensive. Their culture, both in aviation and personally, is different than ours. Lovely people but we ‘Mericans are just different. If you go being an American in Oz you may find it a pain to acclimate. The Ozzies are fun and will welcome you but you are in Australia NOT America. Standards are more rigid and they can be demanding. I always wanted to go as I spent a lot of time down unda, eating a vegimite sandwich, but I was not fortunate enough. As always, any overseas job has different rules etc... Just don’t go thinking the Ozzies are just EXACTLY like us.

Good advice.
I'm an American but I've spent most of the last 28 years in AUS. There are definite advantages, mainly becuase there's only 24 million people here; and the weather is good (no de-icing on the ramp here), and you don't have to worry about being shot if you cut someone off on the freeway (when I look at the crime stats for any US city I just can't believe it).

There's no such thing as customer service here - staff can be downright rude - which as a 'Yank' (which is what you'll be called here) that has always bothered me.

Neigbours are just people who live next door. Depending on where you live, people won't greet you on the street - even if you pass by them every morning for years.

The cost of living is very high, especially cars, housing, and food. Private health insurance may be cheaper than the US but depending on your status - age, married, kids, etc. - it can still be $400/month+ just like through a regional in the US.

At my current job in AUS the gross salary is A$94K plus 9% 'superannuation' (retirement fund); I take home $5200/month, so I pay $31K in tax/year (and my home mortgage interest was not tax deductible and we pay $250/month for electricity). Still, we do okay, but when we visit family in the US, the price of a car, a pair of Levi's, or a pundet of organic blackberries makes me want to cry! (One thing: mobile phone plans are cheaper here - except for data which is usually limited to 10-15 gigs/month - where we live now, phone internet is all we have!)

4 weeks annual vacation is standard, 6 weeks for 'shift workers' which includes pilots - that's really nice and is a big selling point no doubt. How long do you have to work at Delta to get 6 weeks - 20 years!?

You will probably also find you won't be welcomed and made to feel valued by Qantaslink (I worked there years ago) or any other business in AUS. The business culture here is basically, "Why should we keep you here" from day one - not 'welcome!'; they can't fire you easily because of the work rules, but you can be harassed and bullied to no end - bad management is endemic in AUS.

Aussies are much more left wing in their political views, and intellectual terrorism (political correctness) is very much expected and enforced. If you're a Trump supporter you'll be met with looks of dismay if you're keen enough to admit it (although you won't get hit over the head with a baseball bat like the lefties do in the US). Be prepared to be challenged about everything you think you know about the US; there are other things you learn about the US when you leave it that can make it hard to return (a lot of events labled conspiracy theories in the US are taken as obvious fact in AUS).

I had been considering returning to the US for the past year and it's a really hard choice to make. I recently started with SkyWest, but had to come back To AUS (and the old job) because I couldn't sell my house here, and couldn't afford to pay the mortgage on SKW wages. I've sold the house now and am considering returning.

I know I'd rather hang out with Americans, and American pilots - Aussie pilots have a lot more of their ego invested in the job than 'Yanks.' I'd rather fly in the US too as it's a lot more fun (ATC is the worst here). And, I'd like to be closer to my family.

But then I think my kids are safer here (although I worry about them growing up in a welfare culture which AUS very much is), and private schools are affordable, and it's pretty relaxed here - everything speeds up when we visit family in the US.

Thing is, I still miss Americans, because as you say 'Mericans are just different.' And I think 'different' in a good way, or more specifically - different in a way I appreciate and enjoy.

If you're looking at going overseas, look to Asia or the Middle East. I've never been able to figure out why more American pilots don't go to Asia. All my flying buddies left AUS and they have made out like bandits. China will pay you $300K a year to fly an RJ or a 737!

Just my (ten dollars and) two cents! :D