Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : fly dubai assessment prep

ilsbird
03-04-2016, 08:30 PM
I have gotten an invitation to attend one of the CTC assessments in Miami. Before I make a payment and reserve my slot, would like to request if anyone can share or pm me the gouge for the interview and how to prep for this as I have never been through a interview process like this. I am regional FO in the US flying for a united express carrier. Thank you.

RJSAviator76
03-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Here you go:

https://www.aviationinterviews.com/pilotgougedisplay/FlyDubai-140.html

Good luck!

SebastianDesoto
03-16-2016, 01:48 AM
I have gotten an invitation to attend one of the CTC assessments in Miami. Before I make a payment and reserve my slot, would like to request if anyone can share or pm me the gouge for the interview and how to prep for this as I have never been through a interview process like this. I am regional FO in the US flying for a united express carrier. Thank you.

Send me a PM

Natca
03-18-2016, 09:13 PM

From what i gear your better staying at home or over at ek. They just had a crash aswell

ilsbird
03-19-2016, 11:15 AM
From what i gear your better staying at home or over at ek. They just had a crash aswell

First of all, we should not be basing a career in a airline over its accident history or crashes. Its a sad day in aviation that Fly Dubai has gone through this tragedy yesterday, and there not the only carrier that has or will go through these tragic experiences. If a carrier in the west goes down, God for bid, it doesn't make them a unsafe or bad airline to work for. There are airlines with crashes that are still flying today here in the USA and all over the world.

Kapitanleutnant
03-20-2016, 04:17 PM
"... we should not be basing a career in a airline over its accident history or crashes."

Oh really????? Maybe you might want to think about editing that sentence there, Maverick!

You're saying that if an airline had an accident a month or something like the old Aeroflot day for example you'd have no issues working for them... or putting your FAMILY on that particular carrier?

Wow.......

Banzai Pilot
03-21-2016, 07:31 AM
"... we should not be basing a career in a airline over its accident history or crashes."

Oh really????? Maybe you might want to think about editing that sentence there, Maverick!

You're saying that if an airline had an accident a month or something like the old Aeroflot day for example you'd have no issues working for them... or putting your FAMILY on that particular carrier?

Wow.......
Let's not rush to judgement like the general public is known to do. We still have no clue what caused this crash. I would save my judgement until the investigation is complete.

NEDude
03-21-2016, 08:21 AM

Wow.......

In a five year period from September 1989 to September 1994 USAir had five fatal crashes, making it one of the most dangerous airlines in the western world. They had no trouble finding pilots.

captjns
03-21-2016, 11:51 AM

And there you have it folks. An expert opinion form from an expert troll..... who is spellcheck challenged:rolleyes:.

Typhoonpilot
03-21-2016, 02:31 PM
In a five year period from September 1989 to September 1994 USAir had five fatal crashes, making it one of the most dangerous airlines in the western world. They had no trouble finding pilots.

Ummm, they were not hiring during that period. They stopped hiring in early 1990. They did not hire again until 1998.

Plus two of those crashes were not the fault of the airline or the pilots ( USAir 427 rudder hardover and USAir 1493 landed on top of while holding in position at LAX ).

The other 3 were and the airline did need a serious safety adjustment that was made in the mid to late -90s. Just like Delta needed in the mid to late 80s after their series of accidents and incidents.

TP

NEDude
03-21-2016, 11:43 PM
Ummm, they were not hiring during that period. They stopped hiring in early 1990. They did not hire again until 1998.

Plus two of those crashes were not the fault of the airline or the pilots ( USAir 427 rudder hardover and USAir 1493 landed on top of while holding in position at LAX ).

The other 3 were and the airline did need a serious safety adjustment that was made in the mid to late -90s. Just like Delta needed in the mid to late 80s after their series of accidents and incidents.

TP

I think you missed my point - which is that just because an airline had a recent crash does not mean they are to be avoided as a possible career option.

Typhoonpilot
03-22-2016, 02:22 AM
I think you missed my point - which is that just because an airline had a recent crash does not mean they are to be avoided as a possible career option.

I understood the point and in some cases I might agree, but with foreign airlines it would certainly make one want to look more closely at what they might be getting into. In this case: is chronic fatigue an issue with multiple night turns every month? ; Is there pressure from management not to divert so that they can complete the turn within the duty time limits?

Depending on the answer to those questions and others it could make it a place to be avoided.

TP

The Dominican
03-22-2016, 05:01 AM
Counting the fact that we know absolutely nothing about Fly Dubai's accident...., isn't it premature to be speculating that fatigue or company culture or whatever is a reason to avoid them as an employment source?

Typhoonpilot
03-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Counting the fact that we know absolutely nothing about Fly Dubai's accident...., isn't it premature to be speculating that fatigue or company culture or whatever is a reason to avoid them as an employment source?

I don't think it is Dom.

Fatigue can result in bad decision making. Outside pressure can cause bad decisions as well.

Did they hold for two hours in the hopes that they would be able to "get in" and then be able to get back to Dubai within their duty time limit versus making a smarter decision to divert. Diverting would cause cancellation of the return sector; big hassle getting hotel rooms for the crew; etc. Does the company make that a very difficult decision for the crew to make? Do they pressure them to think about the commercial implications of a diversion over the safety implications of trying to "get in"?

Regardless as to the exact cause of the accident, should they have even been attempting that second approach?

TP

The Dominican
03-22-2016, 07:10 PM
I admire your ability to read minds from beyond the grave...., not even Teresa Caputo claims to read the minds of the spirits.

Since I don't have those powers, I'll wait until we have some concrete evidence before I start second guessing professional pilots that just flew west.

Xtreme87
03-22-2016, 07:47 PM
https://www.rt.com/news/336514-flydubai-pilots-fatigue-crash/

Sounds like the usual slave labor of the middle east with poor work rules and no contract to back you up.

captjns
03-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Yep... Working conditions in that part of the world are not the best...

But lets face the facts... The internet contains a wealth of information for prospective employees to make an educated decision regarding operations, pay, and QOL. Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's to take a job at a carrier which promotes fear. Perhaps it would be better world if more crewmembers had deeper respect for the profession, and themselves and boycotting such tyrannical operators.

Greater stress on the value of safety, for themselves, fellow crewmembers, and passengers before the completion of the mission.

Condolences to the families of the deceased.

Cyborgmudhen
03-23-2016, 06:15 AM
First of all, we should not be basing a career in a airline over its accident history or crashes. Its a sad day in aviation that Fly Dubai has gone through this tragedy yesterday, and there not the only carrier that has or will go through these tragic experiences. If a carrier in the west goes down, God for bid, it doesn't make them a unsafe or bad airline to work for. There are airlines with crashes that are still flying today here in the USA and all over the world.

Here ya go, ILS.
Have fun storming the castle......
https://www.rt.com/news/336821-fatigue-cause-flydubai-pilot/

ShyGuy
03-24-2016, 10:19 AM

What do you mean make a payment? You mean FlyDubai is charging you to attend their assessment? Walk, no, run away from this outfit.

WHACKMASTER
03-25-2016, 03:20 AM
Here ya go, ILS.
Have fun storming the castle......
https://www.rt.com/news/336821-fatigue-cause-flydubai-pilot/

Okay, hold on a sec. I am not questioning whether Fly Dubai's culture is unsafe and fatigue ridden because quite frankly I'm ignorant to it. What I'm not ignorant to is RT (Russia Today) News. DO NOT use this as your news source. They are a state run channel that is HEAVILY propagandized. As if they didn't already put the Kremlin spin on news stories (and in some cases even created stories), this crash happened on their soil so this will give them even more reason to report it unobjectively.

gringo
03-25-2016, 05:45 AM
What I'm not ignorant to is RT (Russia Today) News. DO NOT use this as your news source. They are a state run channel that is HEAVILY propagandized.

If it helps, here's the same conclusion, but this one comes from the Queen's propaganda spin machine,

FlyDubai crash pilot 'was due to leave job over fatigue' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35855678)

Is it any shock that the flyDubai management works their crews to death? That entire region is 600 years behind the West in everything else, why would you think cockpit safety would be up to speed?

oicur12
03-25-2016, 06:30 AM
Gringo

You sure about that? There are some very reputable operators in that "region" that are doing very well.

We westerners are not perfect. Take a look at some of the accidents that fedex have had, the usair 320 in philly, AA in jamaica etc, just a few examples that show we are just as prone to screwing up.

We dont know what happened with fludubai yet so i would caution about making sweeping statements.

gringo
03-25-2016, 06:59 AM
Ive got a few friends still flying in the sandbox. More or less they say the same things about their operations as well.

Fatigue, fatigue, fatigue, bacon, fatigue.

trip
03-25-2016, 07:11 AM
https://www.rt.com/news/337128-emirates-pilots-fatigue-scandal/

Papa Bear
03-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Everyone has been saying it for some time now on these forums. This was bound to happen. Very sad.

NEDude
03-25-2016, 11:55 PM
Ive got a few friends still flying in the sandbox. More or less they say the same things about their operations as well.

Fatigue, fatigue, fatigue, bacon, fatigue.

No Bacon you infidel!

JamesBond
03-28-2016, 10:56 AM
I'll leave this here:

https://www.rt.com/news/337270-emirates-pilot-brutal-roster/

ilsbird
03-29-2016, 08:49 PM

Wow.......

Listen to me ICEMAN. I do not think I have to take or edit any of my sentence. Were all entitled to our own opinions. You cant judge the book by its cover. The regionals in the US honestly are unsafe and some of them do bend the rules or do some dangerous things to keep the operation alive. If I do not want to fly as a passenger or put family on something, its the US regional airlines especially after the ATP rule that went into effect and hurt the airlines. Which lead them to hire poor quality candidates just to fill the quantity gaps. And I do have a good example of someone who flies for a regional and had served time for involuntary manslaughter and a DUI. So you want to fly with someone with that background. I am sure someone like you will still think that's safe but no, id rather fly on FLY DUBAI or any other carrier which is not a regional here in the US. I hope I make myself CLEAR ICEMAN.

Beaver Hunter
04-03-2016, 02:04 PM
I call BS. A person with a felony conviction would not get a airport badge or known crew member. They would not be hirable. More to this story me thinks.
Why would anyone want to go fly for desert airlines. They are ugly employers.

Listen to me ICEMAN. I do not think I have to take or edit any of my sentence. Were all entitled to our own opinions. You cant judge the book by its cover. The regionals in the US honestly are unsafe and some of them do bend the rules or do some dangerous things to keep the operation alive. If I do not want to fly as a passenger or put family on something, its the US regional airlines especially after the ATP rule that went into effect and hurt the airlines. Which lead them to hire poor quality candidates just to fill the quantity gaps. And I do have a good example of someone who flies for a regional and had served time for involuntary manslaughter and a DUI. So you want to fly with someone with that background. I am sure someone like you will still think that's safe but no, id rather fly on FLY DUBAI or any other carrier which is not a regional here in the US. I hope I make myself CLEAR ICEMAN.

ilsbird
04-05-2016, 11:26 AM
It is not BS. I know its hard to digest a sour pill dude, but he is a good friend of mine whom I flown with and he flies for a regional and has that on his record so yea, that's the standard of quality of regional pilots. And honestly, yes I fly for a regional airline myself, but I till now have never put and never will put my family on any regional airline plane going by the quality that is coming in.

gringo
04-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Why would anyone want to go fly for desert airlines. They are ugly employers.

I've learned to not argue with fools, or desperate men.

Especially when dealing with desperate fools, best just crack open a six pack and watch the carnage happen.

Nothing you can say or do will affect the outcome.

Like a train wreck in slow motion, it's mesmerizing to watch.