Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Horizon fleet plan.

Jonneaux
03-21-2016, 05:54 PM
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/about-us/newsroom/qx-fleet.aspx

No jets and only 37 Q400's at the end of 2018, last updated Feb 2016.

sealandair
03-21-2016, 06:48 PM

Yikes. Then what will we see? Solid flows to Alaska, with their 737s operating out of Medford and Pullman?

flyingice
03-21-2016, 07:06 PM

...they have to announce the jet stuff per SEC guidelines folks. Until they ink a deal with an OEM for the jets and the news is released per SEC guidelines, there's nothing to be shown. Finance 101 here...

Horizon should be announcing the jet order by the end of 1Q2016.

sealandair
03-21-2016, 07:40 PM
What is going on with the "seat lock" in the Q400? This is something I don't understand yet. If they are ordering some 30 jets, who is going to crew them? Everyone with a seniority number of "X" and above in 2017? Why would we be locked into the Q?

Sorry, the N for Newb is still stuck on my head.

03-21-2016, 07:48 PM
Horizon should be announcing the jet order by the end of 1Q2016.
That's ten days from now.

Flitestar
03-22-2016, 03:34 AM
Folks, curious about the current DOH of the most junior FO that has been assigned a CA slot for April.

Also, what is aprox upgrade time as of now for a new hire, provided the FO already meets all the requirements?

Much appreciated.
FS

Systemized
03-22-2016, 05:57 AM
Is first year pay still $30/hr? Any new-hire bonus?

FL410
03-22-2016, 07:08 AM
As of yesterday with the new training plan the most junior CA is 11/13 hire, going to ANC.

Flitestar
03-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Thanks fl410.

snackysmores
03-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Folks, curious about the current DOH of the most junior FO that has been assigned a CA slot for April.

Also, what is aprox upgrade time as of now for a new hire, provided the FO already meets all the requirements?

Much appreciated.
FS

The two year upgrade they keep saying to lure you here is a lie. There has been very little movement here. Our last 3 bids have had zero movement. If you came here right now it would be around 3-4 years.

snackysmores
03-22-2016, 09:35 AM
What is going on with the "seat lock" in the Q400? This is something I don't understand yet. If they are ordering some 30 jets, who is going to crew them? Everyone with a seniority number of "X" and above in 2017? Why would we be locked into the Q?

The q400 seat lock is 4 years. If you come here before 2017 you will never fly a jet. You will upgrade in the Q before your seat lock expires. New hires will be hired into the jet and will receive the nice schedules and bases right out of training, while the rest of us slave away doing 30 minute hub turns 8 legs a day with PBS.

There is literally no reason to come to Horizon right now. Compass and SkyWest both have PNW bases, higher pay, signing bonuses, commuter hotels etc. which we have none of.

People still keep coming here though so nothing will change. I don't get it.

Packrat
03-22-2016, 09:42 AM
People still keep coming here though so nothing will change. I don't get it.

Come on, really? Its all about the "I'll do ANYTHING to live in the PNW" attitude that AAG lives on.

snackysmores
03-22-2016, 09:45 AM
Come on, really? Its all about the "I'll do ANYTHING to live in the PNW" attitude that AAG lives on.

I know, but if two other carriers offer the same base why would anyone come here. That's what boggles my mind. Our latest thread has 50 pages of reasons not to come here where everything has been hashed and rehashed and the classes are still consistently getting 6-7 new hires.

sealandair
03-22-2016, 12:02 PM
I know, but if two other carriers offer the same base why would anyone come here. That's what boggles my mind. Our latest thread has 50 pages of reasons not to come here where everything has been hashed and rehashed and the classes are still consistently getting 6-7 new hires.

I don't get it either. PNW is a great place to live, as I'm a native myself, but to be pimped out when I have the choice of going to Compass, Skywest, and eventually Delta and Atlas... and STILL live here in a short amount of time... AAG execs must be smoking crack.

What happened to seniority at Horizon? If I were a Teamster rep, I'd be declaring war.

sealandair
03-22-2016, 12:05 PM

Or that a "handshake agreement" to flow to Alaska is synonymous with "Oh yeah... we guarantee you."

snackysmores
03-22-2016, 12:28 PM
What happened to seniority at Horizon? If I were a Teamster rep, I'd be declaring war.

Teamsters pushed the TA on us harder than the company..they bought into the fear tactics hook line and sinker, and so did 69% of the pilot group. AAG spent a lot of money on union busting consultants and it really paid off for them.

sealandair
03-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Teamsters pushed the TA on us harder than the company..they bought into the fear tactics hook line and sinker, and so did 69% of the pilot group. AAG spent a lot of money on union busting consultants and it really paid off for them.

Doing my best to avoid ranting about cheap labor Republi...err...I'd have sent a resounding "screw you" to both Teamsters and AAG, then left. They don't deserve profits when they don't respect the people driving them. Seems like AAG isn't that great at seeing beyond their noses and the bottom line. Get out of there, Snacky... if you can.

Nerfed
03-22-2016, 01:46 PM

This has been going on for decades at Horizon. New hires bidding #1 while senior FO's bidding coverage. True seniority has only a been honored once you move to the left seat.

snackysmores
03-22-2016, 05:14 PM
Doing my best to avoid ranting about cheap labor Republi...err...I'd have sent a resounding "screw you" to both Teamsters and AAG, then left. They don't deserve profits when they don't respect the people driving them. Seems like AAG isn't that great at seeing beyond their noses and the bottom line. Get out of there, Snacky... if you can.

I could leave, but I think at this point it would slow down my career progression to start all over again. I would only consider leaving a DEC job at a decent regional which don't exist yet.

OnMyWay
03-23-2016, 08:59 AM

I'll bet that most (MOST) new hires coming here are the ones whom Compass and/or Skywest spit out. How about that before start checklist?

snackysmores
03-23-2016, 09:13 PM
I'll bet that most (MOST) new hires coming here are the ones whom Compass and/or Skywest spit out. How about that before start checklist?

If they fail out of those training programs they don't stand a chance with ours. Even the FAA inspectors cant get typed through our training program. Both failed.

OnMyWay
03-24-2016, 01:20 AM
If they fail out of those training programs they don't stand a chance with ours. Even the FAA inspectors cant get typed through our training program. Both failed.

I meant the interview phase but that does make sense, what you say.

greenroute
03-24-2016, 02:31 PM
I meant the interview phase but that does make sense, what you say.

Horizon actually does a lot longer/more in-depth interview than most airlines.

The training program wasn't that hard. Any source for two FAA inspectors failing?

snackysmores
03-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Horizon actually does a lot longer/more in-depth interview than most airlines.

The training program wasn't that hard. Any source for two FAA inspectors failing?

I believe we're the only airline left that does a sim check. It's not the Frasca "equalizer" anymore, but a simple redbird computer sim or something. I thought the training program was great, I didn't struggle through it but also had previous jet time. The Q400 is a real piece of work, and Horizon has made it stupidly over-complicated with our SOP.

Don't have a source for the feds failing, but it is known.

TheTransporter
03-24-2016, 04:44 PM
I believe we're the only airline left that does a sim check. It's not the Frasca "equalizer" anymore, but a simple redbird computer sim or something. I thought the training program was great, I didn't struggle through it but also had previous jet time. The Q400 is a real piece of work, and Horizon has made it stupidly over-complicated with our SOP.

Don't have a source for the feds failing, but it is known.

It happened back in 07-08. Retired AA and HA. One eventually made it through, the other was asked to leave.

SIUav8er
03-25-2016, 06:00 PM

4 year seat lock still in effect. New hire FO's, Senior Captains. Its yet another reason I voted NO on that garbage TA

snackysmores
03-25-2016, 07:06 PM
What is going on with the "seat lock" in the Q400? This is something I don't understand yet.

http://i.imgur.com/7NsPBdH.jpg

That sums it up pretty well.

271c
03-26-2016, 08:41 PM
I believe we're the only airline left that does a sim check. It's not the Frasca "equalizer" anymore, but a simple redbird computer sim or something.

Envoy does a sim check as well, a Baron G1000 with flight director.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1