Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Captmycka
09-11-2016, 04:14 AM
Hello everyone,

do you know if Korean, China airline, Eva, Hianan... do background check regarding your past employment or recent employers? do they hire a company for that or they simply call your past employers/references?

Just jumpshiped from one of the big 3's, need your help guys.:D

cheers
CM

navigatro
09-11-2016, 04:42 AM
Hello everyone,

do you know if Korean, China airline, Eva, Hianan... do background check regarding your past employment or recent employers? do they hire a company for that or they simply call your past employers/references?

cheers
CM

Yes they check prior employment. Not sure about the specifics.

I know of a captain who was fired from a (U.S.) major, went to a large airline in Asia, and was "let go" shortly thereafter, once the details of his prior termination came to light.

Hopefully you have nothing to worry about.

EXPAT1
09-11-2016, 01:37 PM
In China they will mostly just check your license via FAA to validate you actually hold ratings you have disclosed and have no accidents, incidents etc. The process can be lengthy as only a few individuals in the CAAC are authorized to perform these checks. Nothing happens fast in China.

NYC Pilot
09-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Hello everyone,

cheers
CM

You mean you just quit at American, Delta or United?

To answer your question, most foreign airlines only want a no accident/incident report from the FAA and a good conduct certificate which can be obtained from your local police headquarters. Other than that, they usually don't check sh!t.. I know many guys flying for middle eastern and Asian airlines with questionable backgrounds and they are doing just fine..

NYC Pilot
09-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Jumped ship NOT jump shipped lol, I had to....;)

Korean is a pretty good deal. I would look at them through rishworth aviation or whoever else they hire through. You get a nice block of days off and 3 commuting days every month. They fly you business class on Korean Air to any U.S destination that's nearest to you assuming they fly there..The only downside is that if you join as an FO, you will not upgrade to Captain...Pay is not bad. Also, look into EVA, they are similar to Korean but you can upgrade to CA, eventually. However, pay is low but it is a commuting contract.

NYC Pilot
09-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Also, I wouldn't worry about the background check. Your employers in the U.S are only allowed to give dates of employment, they are not allowed to give any other info or you can sue them. Good luck and who knows, you may enjoy the expat life more than flying for a legacy.

NEDude
09-12-2016, 06:09 AM
Also, I wouldn't worry about the background check. Your employers in the U.S are only allowed to give dates of employment, they are not allowed to give any other info or you can sue them. Good luck and who knows, you may enjoy the expat life more than flying for a legacy.

Yes, it is not the law that forbids companies from giving all the sordid details about your employment, it is the company attorneys.

The Dominican
09-12-2016, 08:27 AM
All painted with a very wide brush as usual......!

Different companies have different procedures on the matter, they all do background checks but some go the extra mile and get Interpol reports..., call previous employers etc....., in my particular case the contract company called all the reference that I listed and requested records.......!

Haven said that....., there is a move on the expat pilot market towards a more thorough check because of a few lowlife giving out false information....! The funny thing is that it goes both ways actually, I know of an individual that went back to the US with line instructor experience on his resume when in fact he was never released on the line as a captain, little alone being an RTC...!

Like I said....., lowlife!

adebord
09-12-2016, 11:51 AM
You mean you just quit at American, Delta or United?

To answer your question, most foreign airlines only want a no accident/incident report from the FAA and a good conduct certificate which can be obtained from your local police headquarters. Other than that, they usually don't check sh!t.. I know many guys flying for middle eastern and Asian airlines with questionable backgrounds and they are doing just fine..

I have worked for a medium sized police department for 3.5 years and never heard of a 'good conduct certificate'. What do they want? a Warrant check? a Full III BI? The first is easy, the second isn't going to happen.

Lucky8888
09-12-2016, 04:20 PM
I have worked for a medium sized police department for 3.5 years and never heard of a 'good conduct certificate'. What do they want? a Warrant check? a Full III BI? The first is easy, the second isn't going to happen.

I'm sure he's talking about a Criminal Records Check.

NYC Pilot
09-12-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm sure he's talking about a Criminal Records Check.

Yes exactly, I'm in NYC so the NYPD calls it a good conduct certificate meaning clean criminal record but it's basically a criminal records check.

NEDude
09-13-2016, 02:17 AM
After being abroad for a while I am surprised at the process and length of time it takes to get a criminal report. In many countries you can go in to any police station, present your ID, and walk out with a national criminal report/good conduct certificate, in less than five minutes. Where I live now it can be done online in a matter of minutes, similar to getting a verification from the FAA. Sadly, for my next job, I have to make a special trip to the States, get fingerprinted, and then wait for 4-6 weeks.

The Dominican
09-13-2016, 03:34 AM
After being abroad for a while I am surprised at the process and length of time it takes to get a criminal report. In many countries you can go in to any police station, present your ID, and walk out with a national criminal report/good conduct certificate, in less than five minutes. Where I live now it can be done online in a matter of minutes, similar to getting a verification from the FAA. Sadly, for my next job, I have to make a special trip to the States, get fingerprinted, and then wait for 4-6 weeks.

Ridiculous, right?.....! The passport as well......, Even with the expedited procedure it takes several days to get a renewed passport, seems archaic to me......! In many countries you can go and deposit the paperwork and then come back a couple of hours later to pickup the passport!

NEDude
09-13-2016, 03:42 AM
Ridiculous, right?.....! The passport as well......, Even with the expedited procedure it takes several days to get a renewed passport, seems archaic to me......! In many countries you can go and deposit the paperwork and then come back a couple of hours later to pickup the passport!

You can do that in the States too, if you are at a facility capable of doing it. My last passport renewal was done in a few hours at the Tucson facility.

captjns
09-13-2016, 12:27 PM
You can do that in the States too, if you are at a facility capable of doing it. My last passport renewal was done in a few hours at the Tucson facility.

Letter from the Company with a copy of my ID did the trick. Same day service at the PHL facility.

The Dominican
09-13-2016, 01:23 PM
If you happen to live in a city that has a facility I guess......, I've never been able to get it in less than a week..!

jrmyl
09-13-2016, 06:43 PM
I did mine in Chicago in July, Dom. Drove up for the day and had it done. I would imagine you could stop off on the way home and have it done as well.

overcast
09-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Some states are still stuck in the stone ages, others are moving with the rest of the world.
In some: go to police station, do fingerprints with a pre-requested form, wait forever, get results, by mail. Very efficient if working overseas. Other states take mere seconds, all done online, for just a few dollars, immediate results.

DCA A321 FO
09-14-2016, 05:08 PM
.....! The passport as well......, Even with the expedited procedure it takes several days to get a renewed passport,

Four hours in Los Angeles.

NEDude
09-14-2016, 09:44 PM
Some states are still stuck in the stone ages, others are moving with the rest of the world.
In some: go to police station, do fingerprints with a pre-requested form, wait forever, get results, by mail. Very efficient if working overseas. Other states take mere seconds, all done online, for just a few dollars, immediate results.

A lot of overseas jobs require the FBI record (the national record), not a state or local record. The FBI one takes a good 4-6 (right now they are claiming 12-14 weeks) weeks and longer if you require the Apostille. A bit ridiculous in the 21st century if you ask me, and downright embarrassing when other countries can do in in a matter of minutes.

Typhoonpilot
09-15-2016, 04:18 AM
A lot of overseas jobs require the FBI record (the national record), not a state or local record. The FBI one takes a good 4-6 (right now they are claiming 12-14 weeks) weeks and longer if you require the Apostille. A bit ridiculous in the 21st century if you ask me, and downright embarrassing when other countries can do in in a matter of minutes.

National Background Check (http://www.nationalbackgroundcheck.com/)

Express mail them the fingerprint cards and they'll have the document done in less than 2-3 days. Original Fedexed to you within a couple more. Total time less than a week if you do it right.

Typhoonpilot

Seven6SevenDCA
09-15-2016, 09:51 PM
On the subject of passport renewal, anyone have this issue?

I'm flying mostly to the PRC from the U.S. My passport actually has 24 months left, but due to one page having a little tear on the edge (right after the foto page), I think it needs to be replaced. I saw one Chinese customs official summon a colleague, and it could have been the fact my passport has a torn page. Was not unpleasant, but it delayed me and my crew a couple of minutes.

Chinese Work Visa expires very early 2017, and perhaps it will be an issue at that time. If I should immediately renew the passport, will they transfer the Chinese Visa into the new passport? I have no other visas, other than the previous expired visas.

NEDude
09-17-2016, 09:54 PM
On the subject of passport renewal, anyone have this issue?

I'm flying mostly to the PRC from the U.S. My passport actually has 24 months left, but due to one page having a little tear on the edge (right after the foto page), I think it needs to be replaced. I saw one Chinese customs official summon a colleague, and it could have been the fact my passport has a torn page. Was not unpleasant, but it delayed me and my crew a couple of minutes.

Chinese Work Visa expires very early 2017, and perhaps it will be an issue at that time. If I should immediately renew the passport, will they transfer the Chinese Visa into the new passport? I have no other visas, other than the previous expired visas.

I cannot say for certain, but I have read this in several places...

If you have a current visa, but a new passport, you can carry the old passport with the valid visa in conjunction with your new passport. This does work for at least a few countries. But check with your employer and/or an expert in China visa processing.

Starlifter
09-18-2016, 09:20 AM

Also embarrassing is if you need to have the fingerprints or any document apostilled. The FBI does not apostille documents and most others do not as well.
My father figured out a way around this. He took the documents to a state notary who stamped it with the state seal. Once this took place it became a state document. Once this happens, the state will apostille it. The state website will give directions on where to mail the document(s) to get the apostille stamp/ribbon.

BreezyPalms
10-18-2016, 05:23 PM
I have seen this several times, mostly just a letter from the PD stating you have no record.

A friend of mine that sought the right to live in the Cayman Islands had to do this, just to live there.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1