Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Skywest Jumpseat Denial

tailwheel48
09-27-2016, 06:49 AM
I was denied a jumpseat on UA 5623 from GDL to IAH this morning (Sep 27) by the captain.

I fully understand that the JS is entirely at captains discretion but I have never been arbitrarily denied it's use. Over the years I have carried hundreds of jumpseaters and have never denied anybody. I understand that there may be an operational reason why I couldn't be accommodated but, if so, I wasn't informed of the reason.

I'm a mainline UAL captain and would hate to have to start denying Skywest pilots the use of my jumpseat.

Thoughts?

Theaveragejoker
09-27-2016, 06:54 AM
Have you reached out to Skywest's and your jumpseat committees? That's a poor showing if he didn't give you any reason.

prex8390
09-27-2016, 06:54 AM
Weight restricted maybe. Maybe it was a IOE trip and he didn't want someone up there. I'll take a guess there was a legit reason, but if there wasn't, then yeah, he needs to be reported. Whatever the reason might be, you didn't get on. No reason to pout about it. Sorry you have to spend a little extra time in Mexico. It sucks but be grown up and move on. It's not the end of the world.

tailwheel48
09-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Weight restricted maybe. Mayhe it was a IOE trip and he didn't want someone up there. Whatever the reason might be, you didn't get on. No reason to pout about it. Sorry you have to spend a little extra time in Mexico. It sucks but be grown up and move on. It's not the end of the world.

You must be fun to fly with!

prex8390
09-27-2016, 06:56 AM
You must be fun to fly with!

Most people tell me I am, thanks for noticing though! But to give you a legit answer. It's probably becuase you are in Mexico. Maybe policy doesn't permit to or from international. That's my guess.

FTFF
09-27-2016, 07:00 AM
International flight deck j/s authorized now?

nopantsILS
09-27-2016, 07:00 AM
No jumpseaters in the actual int'l except FAA/LCA.

toolowterrain
09-27-2016, 07:01 AM
I agree. Captains jumpseat. However, if there was an operational reason for the denial someone should have given you the reason. Personally I do that myself when weight restricted, etc. If you were denied just because he/she didn't feel like it, that's pretty unprofessional.

KSCessnaDriver
09-27-2016, 07:02 AM
Was there a seat in the back, or was the only open seat the jumpseat? Because I thought the jumpseat was off limits for international flights...

tailwheel48
No jumpseaters in the actual int'l except FAA/LCA.

Is that a Skywest thing? I've often been on the Expressjet intl jumpseat.

toolowterrain
International flight deck j/s authorized now?

I don't think GLD is Mexico

tailwheel48
09-27-2016, 07:04 AM

GDL - Guadalajara

nopantsILS
09-27-2016, 07:06 AM
Is that a Skywest thing? I've often been on the Expressjet intl jumpseat.

Strange. I don't believe it's simply a SKW thing. Fairly certain this is the norm regarding offline jump-seating internationally in most cases. .

skiK2
09-27-2016, 07:14 AM
GDL - Guadalajara

Quit trolling. International Jumpseat in the actual has not been allowed at any carrier in the last 10 years (since I've been in). If express jet is allowing you in the actual, which highly doubt they are, then someone could be in real trouble.

I've heard it's been approved by the TSA/FAA, but haven't heard of any carriers practicing this. Maybe you were in the extra FA Jumpseat by the crapper. Skywest doesn't have those.

chitolin
09-27-2016, 07:14 AM
I was denied a jumpseat on UA 5623 from GDL to IAH this morning (Sep 27) by the captain.

I fully understand that the JS is entirely at captains discretion but I have never been arbitrarily denied it's use. Over the years I have carried hundreds of jumpseaters and have never denied anybody. I understand that there may be an operational reason why I couldn't be accommodated but, if so, I wasn't informed of the reason.

I'm a mainline UAL captain and would hate to have to start denying Skywest pilots the use of my jumpseat.

Thoughts?

JS riding internationally is not allowed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

say again
09-27-2016, 07:16 AM
JS riding internationally is not allowed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a UAL mainline Captain, you'd think he/she would know this.

toolowterrain
09-27-2016, 07:31 AM

my bad. I read GLD.

WesternSkies
09-27-2016, 07:32 AM

I'm a mainline UAL captain and would hate to have to start denying Skywest pilots the use of mAy jumpseat.

Thoughts?

WEll that is all I need to read right there.

For the rest reading.
-The international Jumpseat is not allowed at skyw (reciprocally)
- GDL is remote boarding. They bus people to the airplane. The captain would have to delay the flight to get back to the airport some how.

velosnow
09-27-2016, 07:35 AM
Former SkyW guy here - even company pilots can't occupy actual for international legs so no need to get all excited. Probably a good idea to ask the question without the threat of denying jumpseats.

Beachbum56
09-27-2016, 07:37 AM
He should have explained his reasoning. Poor communicator.... Next topic.

tailwheel48
09-27-2016, 08:00 AM
Ok, I apologize. It was a last minute very rushed situation. The agent asked if I could take the jumpseat to get another non-rev on. I said yes immediately without thinking it through. I was cleared by CASS and thought all was golden until the captain said 'nyet'.

No harm, no foul!

spikemath
09-27-2016, 08:19 AM
Ok, I apologize. It was a last minute very rushed situation. The agent asked if I could take the jumpseat to get another non-rev on. I said yes immediately without thinking it through. I was cleared by CASS and thought all was golden until the captain said 'nyet'.

No harm, no foul!

He should have at least given you the courtesy of explaining skywests policy towards international Jumpseating.

rickair7777
09-27-2016, 08:22 AM

No harm, no foul!

Always coordinate with the crew before giving up your nonrev or deadhead cabin seat at the request of CS. JS is always lower priority than any nonrev, including buddy pass.

If you give up nonrev or even deadhead status to help somebody out you always become last priority for getting on if W&B is an issue. And that CS agent who was so nice when she asked for your help is probably not going to be so nice if you ask her to pull off a pass rider and give that seat back to you two minutes prior to scheduled departure.

trip
09-27-2016, 08:27 AM
Seriously, how can you be a longtime Captain and not know who and when it is allowed to have a pilot in your actual Jumpseat?

It was nice to give up your seat to another non-rev but always tell the agent "I'm OK with the jump but check first with the crew".

tailwheel48
09-27-2016, 08:32 AM
Seriously, how can you be a longtime Captain and not know who and when it is allowed to have a pilot in your actual Jumpseat?

It was nice to give up your seat to another non-rev but always tell the agent "I'm OK with the jump but check first with the crew".

Actually I was more confused about whose metal we were on. I thought it was UAL and only subsequently discovered it was SKW.

ncsean
09-27-2016, 08:35 AM

Thoughts?

You seem like a real gem.

You admit you were late to the gate and you admit knowing there could have been an operational reason why (which was the case; No JS in the actual on international, which furthermore I find pretty hard to believe you didn't know about), but you still chose to write a *****y little comment about possibly denying skywest pilots.

I noticed in your post history you also whined about not being given a heroes welcome on a DL flight before too.

Think you might have a complex.

Panzon
09-27-2016, 08:38 AM
I was denied a jumpseat . . .

Thoughts?
After everything that has come out in this thread, my thoughts are that you are the TOTD.

trip
09-27-2016, 09:08 AM
Mods, thread doesn't pass the smell test, has done damage to the accused pilot group.
Delete or close.

CBreezy
09-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Mods, thread doesn't pass the smell test, has done damage to the accused pilot group.
Delete or close.

Done damage? Boo hoo, someone said something bad about the mighty Skywest and you want them to close the thread? The guy was a clown for thinking he could JS internationally but that doesn't mean harm was done to anyone.

John Carr
09-27-2016, 09:48 AM
Have you reached out to Skywest's and your jumpseat committees? That's a poor showing if he didn't give you any reason.

Nope, the poor showing was an alleged UAL CA that SHOULD KNOW BETTER came on here and posted it.

Turbosina
09-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Actually I was more confused about whose metal we were on. I thought it was UAL and only subsequently discovered it was SKW.

You couldn't tell the difference between a mainline UAL aircraft and a Skywest RJ? Methinks you're as much of a 'mainline UA Captain' as I am Mickey Mouse.

Bobman80
09-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Nope, the poor showing was an alleged UAL CA that SHOULD KNOW BETTER came on here and posted it.

You guys keep saying this over and over like it's true. He probably thought it was a United flight. I'd imagine that United pilots can sit in the actual jumpseat internationally. Delta can. I have done it. So, maybe you should know better.

Bobman80
09-27-2016, 09:58 AM
You seem like a real gem.

You admit you were late to the gate and you admit knowing there could have been an operational reason why (which was the case; No JS in the actual on international, which furthermore I find pretty hard to believe you didn't know about), but you still chose to write a *****y little comment about possibly denying skywest pilots.

I noticed in your post history you also whined about not being given a heroes welcome on a DL flight before too.

Think you might have a complex.

Like I pointed out to someone else, some carriers allow international Jumpseat. Skywest does not but Delta does. The guy did apologize.

sweetholyjesus
09-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Meanwhile, in Africa....

John Carr
09-27-2016, 10:27 AM
You guys keep saying this over and over like it's true. He probably thought it was a United flight. I'd imagine that United pilots can sit in the actual jumpseat internationally. Delta can. I have done it. So, maybe you should know better.

It's kind of funny, the non rev listing will tell how many seats are on the plane. IOW, the size/capacity of the airframe being operated. Nevermind the flight number, etc.

It's not rocket surgery.

And thanks for the tidbit of I should "know better". I've done JS committ work, have you?

Still stand by my statement. Coming on here and giving the details was poor form without FIRST going to his JS committee to get a clarification.

Like I pointed out to someone else, some carriers allow international Jumpseat. Skywest does not but Delta does. The guy did apologize.

And imagine if he actually went through the proper channels and gained this knowledge PRIOR to coming on here and posting? Wouldn't even have to apologize.....

sweetholyjesus
09-27-2016, 10:46 AM
And imagine if he actually went through the proper channels and gained this knowledge PRIOR to coming on here and posting? Wouldn't even have to apologize.....Imagine if nobody ever made mistakes ever! Half of us would be out of the job!

John Carr
09-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Imagine if nobody ever made mistakes ever! Half of us would be out of the job!

I don't disagree with that at all.

But sometimes it's NOT the mistake, but how one handles it.

Seek information before drawing a conclusion? Or just make a posting on a forum and try to blame people? Just sayin'....

say again
09-27-2016, 11:27 AM

The flight numbers give it away that it wasn't your metal. What about the loads numbers when you listed? Ignorance is not an excuse, if that's what your claiming.

Is offline
09-27-2016, 11:45 AM
He should have at least given you the courtesy of explaining skywests policy towards international Jumpseating.

It's not a Skywest policy. It's everyone's policy.

VIRotate
09-27-2016, 01:01 PM

Even if he confused a UAL flight with a SKW flight, he clearly found out that it was in fact a SKW flight and came here to post about it.

Regardless, OP apologized. Let's move on. We all make mistakes.

amcnd
09-27-2016, 01:13 PM
It's not a Skywest policy. It's everyone's policy.

Exactly!! Please kill this thread!! So misleading!!!

Squallrider
09-28-2016, 05:55 AM
Done damage? Boo hoo, someone said something bad about the mighty Skywest and you want them to close the thread? The guy was a clown for thinking he could JS internationally but that doesn't mean harm was done to anyone.

Or maybe someone just reads the subject line and maybe the first post and it starts a trend of denying Skywest people jumpseats for no apparent reason. But never mind Skywest people are just full of themselves as well as the kool aid....carry on

Nu11us
09-28-2016, 06:04 AM
You can list as a 'cabin only' jumpseater from Mexico, however, this is confusing to the gate agents, especially if their english isn't great, because they're hearing "jumpseat". The same probably goes for a lot of captains. Someone says "jumpseat" and they don't think it can be done. Often, you've got to go up there and explain the situation. I've had cabin jumpseaters a few times from Mexico, they were with other airlines though. But yeah, sounds like this guy thought he could sit in the actual jump, which is surprising.

sailingfun
09-28-2016, 06:24 AM

You must be kidding! You never even looked at the loads or flight and just showed up for a international JS?

sweetholyjesus
09-28-2016, 09:35 AM
You must be kidding! You never even looked at the loads or flight and just showed up for a international JS?
I think most of us are over it. That threat to skywest pilots was way out of line and he's an idiot and sucks at non-reving, but he apologized (sort of). Move along...

leica typ240
09-28-2016, 12:14 PM

...maybe, he was confused and took the blue pill he purchased in Mexico for his cholesterol medicine - hallucination is one side effect, I HEARD :o

Turbosina
09-28-2016, 12:37 PM
...maybe, he was confused and took the blue pill he purchased in Mexico for his cholesterol medicine - hallucination is one side effect, I HEARD :o

Personally I think he's a troll posting from mommy's basement with 500 hours in MS Flight Sim. No airline captain could possibly be so dumb as to not be able to tell a Skywest RJ from his own mainline metal.

Maingear
09-28-2016, 02:55 PM

Remember that next time it comes time to vote on scope relaxation.

Mercyful Fate
09-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Personally I think he's a troll posting from mommy's basement with 500 hours in MS Flight Sim. No airline captain could possibly be so dumb as to not be able to tell a Skywest RJ from his own mainline metal.

Don't know about that....I mean, just look around here...

rickshaw
09-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Intl JS is available mainline AA and WO only. ( i.e. no YV or RAH)

TheFly
09-29-2016, 12:29 AM

Hmmm, that's fishy. One can easily tell by the flight numbers.