Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Converting ATPL to FAA ATP

10-30-2016, 09:45 AM
I have a colleague who has a foreign ATPL license with a lot of experience (Currently 744 CA).
He is doing a move to corporate and is supposed to get typed for the Challenger 350 in CYUL
The Boss wants him to do this on an FAA license and not his ATPL

The procedure is, to my understanding, getting a medical, ATP written, doing the Foreign License Verification and meeting with someone at an FSDO.
I understand that since 2014 and the new rules change there is also an ATP-CTP course that needs to be done.
My question is does anyone have any experience with this? any way to avoid doing this 4000$ish course that is totally a waste of time and money? Can the Type rating count instead of the course?

Any advice or previous experience would be appreciated

10-31-2016, 07:08 AM
The type rating does not count as credit for the ATP-CTP. There is no way around it now.

Here is a current list of providers:

Twin Wasp
10-31-2016, 10:06 AM
Unless it's a Canadian license, you have to complete the ATP-CTP, pass the written and pass a checkride. Holding a foreign ATP only lets you skip getting the FAA commercial which is normally a requirement to get the ATP. And to get a FAA commercial you have to hold a FAA private (different rules for military pilots.) The only certificate the FAA will issue based on a foreign license without a checkride is a private. The foreign license verification is to prove you hold a foreign license to skip the commercial.

10-31-2016, 12:00 PM
Page 10 last paragraph...
Even TCCA to FAA ATP conversions require ATP-CTP graduation certificate in order to take the ATP knowedge test for multiengine.

Twin Wasp
11-01-2016, 10:02 AM
I should have been more clear. Unless you are converting a Canadian license, there are no short cuts to the three step process of completing the ATP-CTP, passing the ATM written and passing a checkride. If you speak 'eh" you only have to complete the CTP and pass the ACM written.