Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : NV residency

Flambo
12-28-2016, 01:54 AM
Anyone found a cost effective way to have their tax domicile (Residency) in LAS (NV)?

Kapitanleutnant
12-28-2016, 05:36 AM
Umm... Live in Nevada?

Best to ask a tax guy instead of here to be honest.

K

hockeypilot44
12-28-2016, 05:39 AM
Either you live there or you don't. Pilots have gone to jail for claiming residency in Florida when they didn't even own any property there.

flyguy81
12-28-2016, 05:44 AM
I flew with a few guys who had bought a RV and parked it in Boulder City or somewhere close to Vegas in a RV park and claimed it as their primary residence.

sailingfun
12-28-2016, 06:41 AM
Keep in mind your cellphone knows where you are all the time. Those records don't go away.

tom11011
12-28-2016, 08:07 AM
You can choose to take up residency in any state you want. Where you live is your business. Get a mailbox at UPS Store in Nevada, get a drivers license in Nevada.

DFWLECNOW
12-28-2016, 08:11 AM
You can choose to take up residency in any state you want. Where you live is your business. Get a mailbox at UPS Store in Nevada, get a drivers license in Nevada.

See if that holds up in Tax Court. Talk to an accountant, not a pilot.

tom11011
12-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Either you live there or you don't. Pilots have gone to jail for claiming residency in Florida when they didn't even own any property there.

Do you have a source on that or did you hear it from some person third hand about going to jail. Further, you are saying you have to own property to prove you live somewhere. I guess all the snow birds who stay in Florida for more than six months will all be deported after serving time in jail :rolleyes:

tom11011
12-28-2016, 08:13 AM
See if that holds up in Tax Court. Talk to an accountant, not a pilot.

What are you saying, Nevada is full of something?

tom11011
12-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Keep in mind your cellphone knows where you are all the time. Those records don't go away.

Papers please comrade.

qball
12-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Do you have a source on that or did you hear it from some person third hand about going to jail. Further, you are saying you have to own property to prove you live somewhere. I guess all the snow birds who stay in Florida for more than six months will all be deported after serving time in jail :rolleyes:

Not second hand. I personally know one of the guys who got locked up. If you are smart you will live where you claim residency.

Hacker15e
12-28-2016, 08:36 AM

Part of the root cause of that has to be the military's rules for determining legal state of residence. I know lots and lots of military pilots who had a Florida legal residence while on active duty.

Hacker15e
12-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Anyone found a cost effective way to have their tax domicile (Residency) in LAS (NV)?

What tax rules, specifically, are you trying to take advantage of by being a Nevada resident?

tom11011
12-28-2016, 08:39 AM
Not second hand. I personally know one of the guys who got locked up. If you are smart you will live where you claim residency.

PM me the name of the person and the state so I can look it up. This would be a matter of public record, I would like to read up on the matter and report my findings to the group.

zippinbye
12-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Yes. I live there and have another home elsewhere. I'm fully legit on residency, kids in school, the whole package. In the LV Valley, Modest homes seem over-priced to me relative to recent history (i.e. "irrational exuberance"), but that's what's selling. Your typical "captain's palace" could be an awesome value right now, with many languishing on the market. Please PM me if you have any specific NV questions.

qball
12-28-2016, 08:49 AM
PM me the name of the person and the state so I can look it up. This would be a matter of public record, I would like to read up on the matter and report my findings to the group.

PM sent. Just know that some states (MN and CA just to name a couple) are very argressive in looking in to this kind of stuff. The guy I know would have been waaay better off just paying his state taxes in the the long run.

DFWLECNOW
12-28-2016, 09:00 AM

Google 'Northwest pilot tax evasion' and read the numerous news articles that come up. These pilots attempted to circumvent state income tax laws and paid a heavy price. Trust a good CPA, not what you hear in the crew room or flight deck (or on APC for the most part).

trip
12-28-2016, 09:56 AM
If your based in CA they hunt you down and try to tax you even if you live in NV, legitimately.

JustWatching
12-28-2016, 10:08 AM
Google 'Northwest pilot tax evasion' and read the numerous news articles that come up. These pilots attempted to circumvent state income tax laws and paid a heavy price. Trust a good CPA, not what you hear in the crew room or flight deck (or on APC for the most part).

I was just going to post the same.

Aren't pilots supposed to be a smarter group of people?

tom11011
12-28-2016, 10:20 AM
PM sent. Just know that some states (MN and CA just to name a couple) are very argressive in looking in to this kind of stuff. The guy I know would have been waaay better off just paying his state taxes in the the long run.

I didn't receive it.

Airhoss
12-28-2016, 10:43 AM
I was just going to post the same.

Aren't pilots supposed to be a smarter group of people?

For sure...Pilots are so smart with money they "invest" in things like the Iraqi Dinar and Optioneer. Some were even involved in the Via Lobos brothers in Costa Rica.

Keep the first wife, the second home, and if it guaranties more than 10% ROI it's a scam. Oh and never take financial advice from another pilot!

Lemon Jello
12-28-2016, 11:04 AM
If your based in CA they hunt you down and try to tax you even if you live in NV, legitimately.

What he said. Sold my house in CA, bought house in LAS, registered vehicles in NV, got NV drivers license and I still get love letters from the Franchise Tax Board and the CA DMV demanding money. It's like being stalked by a psycho ex-girlfriend. Makes me glad I escaped that squirrel cage.

qball
12-28-2016, 11:22 AM
I didn't receive it.

PM sent again

DashTrash508
12-28-2016, 11:26 AM

STATE v. HICKMAN | FindLaw (http://caselaw.findlaw.com/mn-court-of-appeals/1324111.html)

This is just one case from the early 2000s. At one point, there were more than 40 employees of Northwest Airlines under investigation or indictment for tax evasion in Minnesota. I cannot speak to the other poster's personal connection to anyone in tax trouble for similar circumstances, but there are plenty of cases out there regarding airline pilots and tax evasion. Bottom line, get professional advice, try it if you want, but be prepared to face the music if an overzealous auditor decides to come after you.

qball
12-28-2016, 11:42 AM
STATE v. HICKMAN | FindLaw (http://caselaw.findlaw.com/mn-court-of-appeals/1324111.html)

This is just one case from the early 2000s. At one point, there were more than 40 employees of Northwest Airlines under investigation or indictment for tax evasion in Minnesota. I cannot speak to the other poster's personal connection to anyone in tax trouble for similar circumstances, but there are plenty of cases out there regarding airline pilots and tax evasion. Bottom line, get professional advice, try it if you want, but be prepared to face the music if an overzealous auditor decides to come after you.

Make sure your tax guy is also willing to be your cell mate and help you stab garbage with a pointy stick along the interstate ;)

Name User
12-28-2016, 11:43 AM
The NWA pilots that were caught were idiots. They claimed a small cabin in the woods as their primary residence while their paper trail (DL, car registration, kids in school) was elsewhere.

There is a right and wrong way to be a resident of a state. Owning property (even a small house or townhome), keeping your cars registered there, your mail going there, and your DL there is the way to do it.

If you have kids, it's kinda hard as where ever they go to school you're stuck. Also if your spouse works (unless from home) you're also stuck.

Name User
12-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Make sure your tax guy is also willing to be your cell mate and help you stab garbage with a pointy stick along the interstate ;)

Tax preparers are actually not on the hook believe it or not. Pretty crazy.

qball
12-28-2016, 11:59 AM
Tax preparers are actually not on the hook believe it or not. Pretty crazy.

Some of those guys were getting tax advice from supposed professionals...

DFWLECNOW
12-28-2016, 12:03 PM
The NWA pilots that were caught were idiots. They claimed a small cabin in the woods as their primary residence while their paper trail (DL, car registration, kids in school) was elsewhere.

There is a right and wrong way to be a resident of a state. Owning property (even a small house or townhome), keeping your cars registered there, your mail going there, and your DL there is the way to do it.

If you have kids, it's kinda hard as where ever they go to school you're stuck. Also if your spouse works (unless from home) you're also stuck.

What you're talking about is very different from a PO Box and mail forwarding.

Flambo
12-28-2016, 12:11 PM
What tax rules, specifically, are you trying to take advantage of by being a Nevada resident?

State Income tax. No kids in local schools, empty nesters. Best I've found is a apartment in Henderson, NV for $320/month.

jagbn
12-28-2016, 12:42 PM

Tom11011--sent you a PM

jagbn
12-28-2016, 12:47 PM
State Income tax. No kids in local schools, empty nesters. Best I've found is a apartment in Henderson, NV for $320/month.

Flambo--It sounds like you plan on renting a cheap apartment to use as an address and a mail drop with no intent of actually making that apartment the place you actually live, just so you can save the state taxes in whatever state you actually live (I'm guessing CA).

That is a terrible terrible mistake. Please please please consult an attorney or a tax professional.

flyguy81
12-28-2016, 12:48 PM

You pay taxes where you live not where you're based.

iceman49
12-28-2016, 02:09 PM
Pilot who claimed Florida residency sentenced for tax evasion | Brainerd Dispatch (http://www.brainerddispatch.com/content/pilot-who-claimed-florida-residency-sentenced-tax-evasion)

Pilot convicted of tax evasion | | postbulletin.com (http://www.postbulletin.com/pilot-convicted-of-tax-evasion/article_b7441c9e-876c-5830-99b1-f2e0a4deb703.html)

USATODAY.com - Travel - News - Northwest Airlines pilot found guilty of tax evasion (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003/2003-03-26-nwa-pilot.htm)

Softpayman
12-28-2016, 02:32 PM
As others are saying, proceed with caution and consult a tax professional!

When you're on their radar, they can and will pursue you. In some locations, having a property alone can make you a resident and depending on how often you're there, they'll establish residency.

Example: You say you're a NV resident but you really spend a lot of time in California. They could show (via cell phone records, or driving through special toll lanes) that you spend enough time there to establish you as a resident.

Monkeyfly
12-28-2016, 03:03 PM
The People's Republic of California will go after you even if they have no legal standing.:mad:

If they have a way to extort the money from you, they will.

However, I have flown with many pilots who "live" in Nevada, and are based in CA. Be ready with your evidence, because a letter is coming in the mail for you. California really expects you to pay for their lunacy, no matter the amount of time you spend there.

The difference in taxes alone vs. Nevada is around 10% of your salary. If desert isn't your thing, consider Vancouver, Washington for extra tax savings!

Grumble
12-28-2016, 10:02 PM

And go to jail like a couple of Northeest pilots who did exactly this.

Edit:

I see this was posted.

You're a special kind of stupid if you try and live in one state and claim residency in another unless you're on active duty military orders. Unless you're senior to me... then by all means!

surfnski
12-29-2016, 03:36 AM
That guy won the lotto?! Ha! I bet that's what flagged him for the tax man.

hyde
12-29-2016, 05:12 AM
They could show (via cell phone records, or driving through special toll lanes) that you spend enough time there to establish you as a resident.

Part of the reason I strictly use burner phones. Never call any number twice and get a new one every week. It's all in the game

intrepidcv11
12-29-2016, 06:33 AM
Part of the reason I strictly use burner phones. Never call any number twice and get a new one every week. It's all in the game

I can definitely imagine a scenario where I hear such genius uttered by a mustachioed wht male coworker in the cockpit.

viper548
12-29-2016, 07:33 AM
CA is very aggressive on revenue collection. When I moved to CO they sent me DMV renewal letters for 3 years.
I've heard of CA based pilots that live out of state that have had CA go after them for tax on the portion of their income earned while flying in CA.

Mr Rumbold
12-30-2016, 08:13 AM

You can get UPS store mailbox, sure.. but how do you get a driver's license without a residence?
Every time I've moved and dealt with the DMV, they want a lease, or at the very least, a utility bill for your residence.
When I moved in with family a few years back, and had no lease or bills in my name, it was hell trying to get a license; finally had to have family come with mr with notarized letter proving I lived with them....
But if NV is as easy as getting a PO Box or UPS store box and going to the DMV, hell maybe I'll do that and save tax money!

JustWatching
12-30-2016, 10:47 AM
You can get UPS store mailbox, sure.. but how do you get a driver's license without a residence?
Every time I've moved and dealt with the DMV, they want a lease, or at the very least, a utility bill for your residence.
When I moved in with family a few years back, and had no lease or bills in my name, it was hell trying to get a license; finally had to have family come with mr with notarized letter proving I lived with them....
But if NV is as easy as getting a PO Box or UPS store box and going to the DMV, hell maybe I'll do that and save tax money!

NV is not... you must bring a utility bill among other things to get a DL or ID card in the state.

Flambo
12-30-2016, 11:47 AM
Flambo--It sounds like you plan on renting a cheap apartment to use as an address and a mail drop with no intent of actually making that apartment the place you actually live, just so you can save the state taxes in whatever state you actually live (I'm guessing CA).

That is a terrible terrible mistake. Please please please consult an attorney or a tax professional.

Not my plan. I'm looking to buy the building and rent an apartment. Should pass the smell test from IRS & any state tax folks given it would be an operating entity.

crewdawg
12-30-2016, 11:59 AM

Quick google search found another one. I'm all about minimizing taxes, but common sense must prevail. It's going to be pretty tough to look an IRS auditor in the eye and say that house you own in XXX and rarely ever visit, is your residence. Tax "advisors" can lead you astray...be sure it passes the common sense test. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is...

Bayport Pilot Charged with Felony Tax Evasion; Ninth Pilot Charged (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bayport-pilot-charged-with-felony-tax-evasion-ninth-pilot-charged-59033252.html)

tom11011
12-30-2016, 02:57 PM
In Florida, you would need two proof of residential address. These can be as simple as an automobile payment booklet and mail from financial institutions.

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Your FloridaCard Checklist (http://www.gathergoget.com/checklist/checklist.aspx)

Further, you can list the address of a PO Box on the above documents. To make things even more easier, the post office now allows you to use street addressing for your PO Box instead of a box number.

https://ribbs.usps.gov/index.cfm?page=mtcsa

The whole point being to allow individuals as well as corporations to setup a residence and/or place of business and to compete with UPS Store which does the same.

And what about residences that have no address or street (or mail delivery for that matter)? Even the FAA allows you to list a pictorial diagram of where you live.

Everyone is missing the basic point here- What is your intention? If your intention is to defraud, well thats not really legal. But you can reside wherever in this country you wish. Last I checked, it was not a crime to be homeless without papers. People move for all sorts of reasons, including lowering their taxes, that's not illegal.

qball
12-30-2016, 05:26 PM
In Florida, you would need two proof of residential address. These can be as simple as an automobile payment booklet and mail from financial institutions.

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Your FloridaCard Checklist (http://www.gathergoget.com/checklist/checklist.aspx)

Further, you can list the address of a PO Box on the above documents. To make things even more easier, the post office now allows you to use street addressing for your PO Box instead of a box number.

https://ribbs.usps.gov/index.cfm?page=mtcsa

The whole point being to allow individuals as well as corporations to setup a residence and/or place of business and to compete with UPS Store which does the same.

And what about residences that have no address or street (or mail delivery for that matter)? Even the FAA allows you to list a pictorial diagram of where you live.

Everyone is missing the basic point here- What is your intention? If your intention is to defraud, well thats not really legal. But you can reside wherever in this country you wish. Last I checked, it was not a crime to be homeless without papers. People move for all sorts of reasons, including lowering their taxes, that's not illegal.

I moved and one of the reasons was taxes (there were many other reasons but no state income tax was a nice perk). But ... I actually live where I moved and commute. The only record of me in my previous state is a birth certificate...nor do I own property or keep a car there.

There is a big difference between homeless people without papers (who don't pay taxes no matter where they land), and air line pilots.
Good luck to those who want to try to game the system and skate on that thin ice.

Name User
12-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Quick google search found another one. I'm all about minimizing taxes, but common sense must prevail. It's going to be pretty tough to look an IRS auditor in the eye and say that house you own in XXX and rarely ever visit, is your residence. Tax "advisors" can lead you astray...be sure it passes the common sense test. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is...

Bayport Pilot Charged with Felony Tax Evasion; Ninth Pilot Charged (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bayport-pilot-charged-with-felony-tax-evasion-ninth-pilot-charged-59033252.html)

IRS is federal taxes not state.

There is a right and wrong way to go about moving residency.

Name User
12-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Not my plan. I'm looking to buy the building and rent an apartment. Should pass the smell test from IRS & any state tax folks given it would be an operating entity.

Move your cars, DL, and mail there. You'll be fine. You're moving there.

TransWorld
12-31-2016, 05:14 AM

Don't forget to register to vote in your new state, and VOTE. (Even if you vote by absentee ballot.)

They may still pursue you, but you have enough backup information to copy and send to them with a letter in response. In a few years they will give up.

Name User
12-31-2016, 07:22 PM
Don't forget to register to vote in your new state, and VOTE. (Even if you vote by absentee ballot.)

They may still pursue you, but you have enough backup information to copy and send to them with a letter in response. In a few years they will give up.

Yes excellent point.

CA is ridiculous

Packrat
12-31-2016, 09:28 PM
The CA State Tax Board would send me a "notice" every year even though I was active duty and a Texas resident. Finally quit after I got orders and moved to D.C.

sailingfun
01-01-2017, 12:08 AM

Make sure your cellphone and credit card bills reflect that you actually live there. States are getting smarter. They will also sometimes interview your neighbors and even ask them to keep a log of when they see you. They may also ask for your non revenue travel records. State tax is deductible off your federal tax so keep in mind that reduces the hit substantially.

Name User
01-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Make sure your cellphone and credit card bills reflect that you actually live there. States are getting smarter. They will also sometimes interview your neighbors and even ask them to keep a log of when they see you. They may also ask for your non revenue travel records. State tax is deductible off your federal tax so keep in mind that reduces the hit substantially.
Or use prepaid like me. OR has the lowest cell phone taxes. Roughly $0.75 per line.

I don't have any non rev records for jump seating. AA doesn't track it. YMMV.

Moving your mail there means moving your mail there. Don't give them a reason to investigate and it will never be an issue.

OCCP
01-01-2017, 06:22 AM
Interviewing your neighbors? How accurate can that be? If someone showed up at my front door and asked me to keep a log on the people next door how would they know if I'm telling the truth?

cni187
01-01-2017, 06:26 AM

Just pay your taxes like everyone else.

Packrat
01-01-2017, 08:13 AM

Just move here.

flensr
01-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Both Calif and NY will make every attempt to tax income generated in their states, even if the individual doing the work lives elsewhere. If your trip originates in CA, chances are CA will view that as income generated in CA, and will try to tax it accordingly. I have first hand knowledge that NY does this with medical doctors who live elsewhere but take temporary work in NY, even if they do that work remotely while physically sitting in another state. Need to be very careful how the company is set up to operate in various states if you're gonna play those games.

Not only that, CA will go after a mil pension if the pension was either earned OR benefits paid while a CA resident, even for a short time.

Tax evasion is a big deal, can't blame it all on mil folks gaming the system, and if you're talking about CA you have to consider CA state tax as an unavoidable cost of living, or a "good weather tax" if you're in so cal. Trying to establish residence elsewhere while "working in" CA is a good way to get pooped on unless you're rich enough to get a really talented tax shyster on your side. Last time I checked, "rich enough" was on the upside of $250k per year, and the scheme 10 yrs ago involved setting up an LLC with one employee (yourself), and then paying into a defined benefit pension with unlimited personal and company contribution. Thats apparently able to survive an audit only if you keep it up for long enough to be reasonable that you might actually end up earning back some sort of pension out of the money you squirrel away tax exempt into the pension fund.

But... don't take tax advice from other pilots, and be careful which tax and estate shyster you trust.

crxpilot
01-01-2017, 05:57 PM
What a bunch of nervous Nellie's.

sailingfun
01-01-2017, 07:14 PM
What a bunch of nervous Nellie's.

Yep, why sweat a potential felony conviction and losing your job!

sailingfun
01-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Both Calif and NY will make every attempt to tax income generated in their states, even if the individual doing the work lives elsewhere. If your trip originates in CA, chances are CA will view that as income generated in CA, and will try to tax it accordingly. I have first hand knowledge that NY does this with medical doctors who live elsewhere but take temporary work in NY, even if they do that work remotely while physically sitting in another state. Need to be very careful how the company is set up to operate in various states if you're gonna play those games.

Not only that, CA will go after a mil pension if the pension was either earned OR benefits paid while a CA resident, even for a short time.

Tax evasion is a big deal, can't blame it all on mil folks gaming the system, and if you're talking about CA you have to consider CA state tax as an unavoidable cost of living, or a "good weather tax" if you're in so cal. Trying to establish residence elsewhere while "working in" CA is a good way to get pooped on unless you're rich enough to get a really talented tax shyster on your side. Last time I checked, "rich enough" was on the upside of $250k per year, and the scheme 10 yrs ago involved setting up an LLC with one employee (yourself), and then paying into a defined benefit pension with unlimited personal and company contribution. Thats apparently able to survive an audit only if you keep it up for long enough to be reasonable that you might actually end up earning back some sort of pension out of the money you squirrel away tax exempt into the pension fund.

But... don't take tax advice from other pilots, and be careful which tax and estate shyster you trust.

All states tax income generated in their states. It's a income tax not a residence tax. Professional sports players have to file a return in every state they play a game in. If you live in Jersey and work in NYC you pay NY taxes.
As transportation employees we have a exemption to that law that states if you can't determine where you do 51% of your work you can fall back on your legal residence for tax purposes. There have been occasions where pilots living in tax free states have been forced to pay taxes in other states. Pilots working in training departments not flying the line is one example. CA went after some UA shuttle pilots because they could show they did 51% or more of their flying in CA.

Cujo 665
01-02-2017, 09:56 AM
http://www.irstaxtrouble.com/unique-tax-issues-faced-by-pilots-and-other-interstate-transportation-employees/

Gunga Din
01-02-2017, 12:29 PM

If you are ever audited, as a transportation employee, they will consider your life's "center of gravity".

If you made an "honest mistake " they will put a tax levy and place liens on your stuff.

If they think you were evading taxes you'll find your self in court facing serious fines and possibly prison Having the full weight of the government against you is not a fun place to be. Whatever short-term gains you think you are saving you will wish 10 times over you had just played it straight.

tomgoodman
01-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Years ago, tax shelters were very popular among airline pilots. A friend told me that he had consulted a respected financial advisor about it, and was asked what he liked most about his job. (It was all the days off). The next questions were about what he liked to do with this free time. (He was a hunter and fisherman who hated all forms of paperwork). After some discussion along these lines, the old guru said: "Son, the best thing for you to do is just fly airplanes and pay your taxes." :)

742Dash
01-06-2017, 04:04 AM

First hit on Google:

Third Northwest pilot convicted of tax evasion | Peninsula Clarion (http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/022103/ala_022103ala0080001.shtml#.WG-VsfkrKUk)

tom11011
07-22-2017, 08:05 AM
Claim Florida As Your Residence For Taxes (http://www.kiplinger.com/article/taxes/T055-C000-S002-claim-florida-as-your-residence-for-taxes.html)

galaxy flyer
07-24-2017, 02:37 PM
It's easy, live in a state with no income tax. You want live in the DRC, you're gonna pay thru the nose for sunshine and Jerry Brown. Well deserved, too.

GF

aviatorhi
07-27-2017, 06:53 PM
IF you truly have no other physical residence within the United States you can use South Dakota. They have a delineated process for establishing "residency" for people who qualify under those guidelines.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1