Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Clay Lacy Aviation

Avcat
01-13-2017, 03:55 PM
Anybody have any up to date information on Clay Lacy Aviation? Pay, benefits, training, etc.?

RI830
01-13-2017, 06:10 PM
No specific details, but I never have heard a good thing from guys who work or have worked there.

The place seems to be a revolving door. Tread lightly on working for a guy who is a chronic liar, ego maniac and a scab.

sailingfun
01-14-2017, 07:05 AM
No specific details, but I never have heard a good thing from guys who work or have worked there.

The place seems to be a revolving door. Tread lightly on working for a guy who is a chronic liar, ego maniac and a scab.

Clay Lacy is not just considered a scab but a superscab for crossing the picket lines more then once. His fellow UAL pilots considered him with utter contempt.

galaxy flyer
01-14-2017, 02:00 PM
He also sold Clay Lacy Aviation.

GF

HuggyU2
01-16-2017, 04:22 AM
Tread lightly on working for a guy who is a chronic liar, ego maniac....
Have you met the man? Or is this just what you've heard?

RI830
01-16-2017, 04:38 AM

I have not met the man and dont plan to.
Please tell me the good things about him.

This man has:
- he admits he lied about his age for career advantage.
- lies about his total time for notariaty.
- was one of the first to cross the picket line
- weaseled his way into any type of PR lime light with UAL so he could look like Mr Pilot Extraordinaire.

Please shed the light on the good things.

galaxy flyer
01-16-2017, 07:11 PM
I've flown with him, not impressed. No, I didn't work at Clay Lacy Aviation, it was "something else".

GF

UAL T38 Phlyer
01-17-2017, 06:51 AM

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/corporate/67641-clay-lacy.html

HuggyU2
01-17-2017, 08:38 AM
I have not met the man and dont plan to.
Please tell me the good things about him.

This man has:
- he admits he lied about his age for career advantage.
- lies about his total time for notariaty.
- was one of the first to cross the picket line
- weaseled his way into any type of PR lime light with UAL so he could look like Mr Pilot Extraordinaire.

Please shed the light on the good things.

Say what you will. No dog in the fight. I'm simply skeptical of those that proclaim to "know" all about a person they've never met.

He was close, personal friend to Bob Hoover, if I'm not mistaken.

As for Mr Pilot Extraordinaire... he does have some respectable flying accomplishments.

RI830
01-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Say what you will. No dog in the fight. I'm simply skeptical of those that proclaim to "know" all about a person they've never met.

As for Mr Pilot Extraordinaire... he does have some respectable flying accomplishments.

I don't claim to know all about him. I know the irrefutable facts about the man. That's all I need to form my opinion of him.

zippinbye
01-22-2017, 04:17 PM
I've met the man. He was personable enough. Clearly a legend in his own mind. I even shook his hand; because at the time I did not understand that he was a scab. It's quite credible for other guys to from an opinion of a guy based on his scab status. #1 at UAL, successful aviation and film business owner and a scab makes a big character statement!

sailingfun
01-23-2017, 05:03 AM

He crossed the picket line not once but twice at different strikes. That qualifies him as a superscab. What more could you possibly need to know that is not fully explained by his own actions.

HuggyU2
01-29-2017, 08:22 AM
He crossed the picket line not once but twice at different strikes.

UAL in 1985.
What's the other one?

Hawkerdriver1
01-29-2017, 05:30 PM
He's an old guy now. Retired from United in 1985. Started in DC-3's with them as an 18 yo. Finished on the 747SP.

HuggyU2
01-29-2017, 09:10 PM
Retired from United in 1985. Started in DC-3's with them as an 18 yo.
I'm pretty sure he started when he was 19, and retired in 1992 when he was 60.

TonyC
01-29-2017, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty sure he started when he was 19 ...

Was that 19 according to his actual birth, or according to the age he claimed to be in order to solo, or the age he claimed he wasn't when it looked like he was about to hit 60? :rolleyes:

I mean, it seems kinda silly (and incredibly ironic) to argue over a year or two when it comes to the subject of Scab Lacy's age.

HuggyU2
01-30-2017, 06:19 AM
Not arguing Tony. I do notice that much of what is put out on Clay Lacy is inaccurate. Yes, he crossed the picket line in 1985. However, it seems everyone is an expert on the man, citing "irrefutable" facts, yet few can provide some of the most basic accuracy. My neighbor flew Lears for CLA before going to the major airlines, and while he isn't a fan of the man, he is able to discuss Lacy in an unemotional and factual manner. I suppose that if I have a question about Lacy, I'll go ask him. At least he can provide an accurate answer.

He crossed the picket line not once but twice at different strikes.
I'd never heard this before. What was the second one?

Purpleanga
06-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Does anyone have an info on this place? Schedules, pay. Thanks.

Walkeraviator
07-03-2017, 05:49 AM
All depends on aircraft/base. Have a buddy on a Legacy 600 in VNY. He seems to be happy with his decision to go there.

CFI Guy
07-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Does anyone have an info on this place? Schedules, pay. Thanks.

It's a management company so pay and schedules are all over the place. I know a few people there. Some people have good deals worked out with the aircraft owner and others are on the typical 135 schedule (no hard days off).

Are you experienced/typed in a particular aircraft that you are applying for?

Jetlife
07-03-2017, 04:47 PM
It's a management company so pay and schedules are all over the place. I know a few people there. Some people have good deals worked out with the aircraft owner and others are on the typical 135 schedule (no hard days off).

Are you experienced/typed in a particular aircraft that you are applying for?

How is a typical schedule for 135 no hard days off? That would be illegal.

say again
07-04-2017, 06:29 AM
How is a typical schedule for 135 no hard days off? That would be illegal.

I agree. Is it 13 hard days off per quarter? Can't remember. The scumbag operators will go back and "pencil"in your hard days off on days you didn't fly even though you were on-call that day. Hell, some even give you days off while sitting at a hotel while on the road.

jonnyjetprop
07-04-2017, 01:26 PM
I agree. Is it 13 hard days off per quarter? Can't remember. The scumbag operators will go back and "pencil"in your hard days off on days you didn't fly even though you were on-call that day. Hell, some even give you days off while sitting at a hotel while on the road.

FAR 135 non-scheduled is 13 days off a quarter. Yes, those can be sitting in a hotel, on the road.

CFI Guy
07-06-2017, 11:01 AM
FAR 135 non-scheduled is 13 days off a quarter. Yes, those can be sitting in a hotel, on the road.

You get 13 "hard days" off per quarter but also get a number of "soft days" per month. The soft days (if you actually get them off) are counted towards the 13 days off per quarter 135 requirement. This is how it works at Clay Lacy on some fleets.

For example, say you have days off starting next week Thursday thru Sunday. The company calls you Wednesday afternoon and says they have a trip beginning the next day. Your "days off" now get pushed until the trip ends. If another trips pops up before you start your days off they can push them again.

The only way you are safe is (using my example) the company tries to call you on Thursday. You are already off and have no obligation to answer the phone until after Sunday.

So when I say you get no days off in essence you don't and it's legal. You can't plan anything until the last minute. My last company was even worse. You would never know when you had days off until around 5pm the day before.

Days off on the road can also be counted towards the 13 day off per quarter requirement. You are stuck in Podunk, USA for a couple days during a crew swap. You are by yourself so there's no possible way for the plane to fly so the company marks you as being "off".

As someone else mentioned, I worked for a dirt bag operator once who would go back and pencil in your days off when you had absolutely no idea that you weren't on call.

Jetlife
07-06-2017, 11:51 AM
You get 13 "hard days" off per quarter but also get a number of "soft days" per month. The soft days (if you actually get them off) are counted towards the 13 days off per quarter 135 requirement. This is how it works at Clay Lacy on some fleets.

For example, say you have days off starting next week Thursday thru Sunday. The company calls you Wednesday afternoon and says they have a trip beginning the next day. Your "days off" now get pushed until the trip ends. If another trips pops up before you start your days off they can push them again.

The only way you are safe is (using my example) the company tries to call you on Thursday. You are already off and have no obligation to answer the phone until after Sunday.

So when I say you get no days off in essence you don't and it's legal. You can't plan anything until the last minute. My last company was even worse. You would never know when you had days off until around 5pm the day before.

Days off on the road can also be counted towards the 13 day off per quarter requirement. You are stuck in Podunk, USA for a couple days during a crew swap. You are by yourself so there's no possible way for the plane to fly so the company marks you as being "off".

As someone else mentioned, I worked for a dirt bag operator once who would go back and pencil in your days off when you had absolutely no idea that you weren't on call.

Yea what you describe is actually not legal. Days off have to be known in advance. You cannot wake up on duty, and have the company say "nevermind, you are off." I worked for a dirtbag outfit in OAK that would pull that crap.

Soft days off is the stupidest term I have ever heard of, and all the companies that use that term are sketchy from what I have experienced.

80emb145
07-08-2017, 09:41 AM
As someone who works there, it's beyond amazing how much crap y'all spew. To the point where I'd have to go sentence by sentence to fix and you should just avoid hitting "reply."

What I will say is that no day off is spent in a hotel on the road. No retro days off. You'll actually get a schedule based off a days off request that you submitted. PM if you want details.

CFI Guy, Johnny, just back away from the computer.

jonnyjetprop
07-08-2017, 01:33 PM
CFI Guy, Johnny, just back away from the computer.

I was pointing out the regulation, not speaking to how things are done at CLA. Glad it's working out for you guys.

RNO Flyer
08-07-2017, 10:15 AM
I'be seen the hiring mins on their website. Anybody know if they'll train to type (with or without a contract), or if they're expecting people to have a type rating walking in the door?

80emb145
08-10-2017, 03:54 PM
I'be seen the hiring mins on their website. Anybody know if they'll train to type (with or without a contract), or if they're expecting people to have a type rating walking in the door?

without a type, you can expect the lear.

Taildragger46
09-04-2017, 07:25 PM
I have friends there flying GIVs and GVs. They are all very happy. Pay is competitive. They all went there straight into those airframes Eva use of prior experience in Type. They do fly a good amount. From my perspective CL keeps their airplanes really busy for those owners that charter.

Best of luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jks621
10-25-2017, 11:44 AM
without a type, you can expect the lear.

Do you know what competitive times are for a FO spot on the Lear might be? I've heard stories that they require you to pay for your type if you don't have it, although theres always those stories... I see they don't have mins posted on the website.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1