Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Aviation Law Legal issues, FARs, and questions
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 1
Default help

my daughters boyfriend got a first class medical and went to take the FAA light test and failed it. He was not told that he should pretest and go to an ophthalmologist before going to take this test. Is his opportunity to get a commercial pilot license gone for good?
caking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Mad Max
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Default

Yes, unfortunately. Unless something else has changed. This is why one should opt for the alternative tests with the AME’s, since you can fail those without it being a “terminal failure” or otherwise be very familiar with the different colored lights at the airport before taking the FAA test.

I wish him the best, and maybe someone else on the forum can provide better information/news.
MartinEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caking View Post
my daughters boyfriend got a first class medical and went to take the FAA light test and failed it. He was not told that he should pretest and go to an ophthalmologist before going to take this test. Is his opportunity to get a commercial pilot license gone for good?
Not necessarily, but he's made it more difficult. He needs to investigate the matter through an aviation medical examiner who specializes in assistance with these medical cases, and should have taken his exam using a farnsworth lantern test. Generally failing the light gun test creates a permanent restriction.

Depending on the severity of his problem, he may or may not be able to secure a medical, or may face restrictions. If he cannot secure a medical, then he will be limited in what he can do and may not be able to pursue a commercial career.

https://www.leftseat.com/colorvision.htm
JohnBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #4
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,970
Default

You may also want to investigate myflightsurgeon.com. They offer a comprehensive bank of tests and can consult regarding what's best for your circumstance.

Page Title
JohnBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:40 AM   #5
Mad Max
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Default

I agree he should try to fight it. Here's the FAA page that deals with color vision for your reference: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ch/item52/amd/

An applicant meets the color vision standard if he/she passes any of the color vision tests listed in Examination Techniques, Item 52. Color Vision. If an applicant fails any of these tests, inform the applicant of the option of taking any of the other acceptable color vision tests listed in Item 52. Color Vision Examination Equipment and Techniques before requesting the Specialized Operational Medical Tests in Section D below.

Inform the applicant that if he/she takes and fails any component of the Specialized Operational Medical Tests (PDF) in Section D, then he/she will not be permitted to take any of the remaining listed office-based color vision tests in Examination Techniques, Item 52. Color Vision as an attempt to remove any color vision limits or restrictions on their airman medical certificate. That pathway is no longer an option to the airman, and no new result will be considered.


It seems to me that he wasn't properly informed. Also, not that it helps much, but I believe Australia has no color vision requirement, so there's that.
MartinEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:55 AM   #6
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,970
Default

I'm not sure Australia is relevant, but the Australian Designated Aviation Medical Examiner's Handbook, section 2.1.15, spells out the specifics for color vision for an Australian medical.

http://www.oaansw.com.au/visionstds/...on_Section.pdf

I doubt one will have any success at all making an appeal for a failed test based on "I wasn't informed." The standard is very specific regarding medical qualification and testing with regard to color vision, and on the tower light test, only one attempt is allowed day and night. If the tower light gun test is failed, then it blocks any additional testing, and the failure cannot be retracted.

JohnBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #7
Gets Weekends Off
 
WhistlePig's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Ending the Backlog one claim at a time
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
I'm not sure Australia is relevant, but the Australian Designated Aviation Medical Examiner's Handbook, section 2.1.15, spells out the specifics for color vision for an Australian medical.

http://www.oaansw.com.au/visionstds/...on_Section.pdf

I doubt one will have any success at all making an appeal for a failed test based on "I wasn't informed." The standard is very specific regarding medical qualification and testing with regard to color vision, and on the tower light test, only one attempt is allowed day and night. If the tower light gun test is failed, then it blocks any additional testing, and the failure cannot be retracted.

Everything is waiverable.
WhistlePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlePig View Post
Everything is waiverable.
That is absolutely untrue.
JohnBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
Gets Weekends Off
 
WhistlePig's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Ending the Backlog one claim at a time
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
That is absolutely untrue.
May statement was overly broad but nowhere near as broad as your absolute. It is not absolutely untrue. Medical conditions can resolve. Standards can be updated. Non-disapproved (notice I did not say approved) medications can be used. Tests can be re-administered under the correct conditions. Sure you still have to pass, burt there is no such thing as "one and done". Find a knowledgable specialist and keep trying.
WhistlePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlePig View Post
May statement was overly broad but nowhere near as broad as your absolute. It is not absolutely untrue. Medical conditions can resolve. Standards can be updated. Non-disapproved (notice I did not say approved) medications can be used. Tests can be re-administered under the correct conditions. Sure you still have to pass, burt there is no such thing as "one and done". Find a knowledgable specialist and keep trying.
I already provided links for two.

Not everything is waiverable, and certain conditions cannot be waivered. To suggest otherwise is absolutely false.
JohnBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:03 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.3, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017 Internet Brands, Inc.