Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Aviation Law
Part 91 SIC Questions and Advice >

Part 91 SIC Questions and Advice

Notices
Aviation Law Legal issues, FARs, and questions

Part 91 SIC Questions and Advice

Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 PM
  #11  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Default

No insurance company will sign you off to fly a that kind of plane with your time! Sorry bro!
Onetimer is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 08:03 AM
  #12  
Line Holder
 
eprn1n2's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Mad Dog
Posts: 82
Default

Originally Posted by DroopsN10 View Post
I got on with a company flying a swept wing Citation at just over 500 hours. 1.) It's basically up to how stupid the captain is to want to fly with such a low time guy 2.) how he can sell the insurance on you making a safe crew and pulling it off 3.) how the company will make a deal with you in paying you in dirt instead of money due to your lack of experience and selling you on (you're time building helping your career). Flight safety/simuflite didn't come into the picture until I had about a 1000hrs and only went to a recurrent as the captain will just probably do ground with you and give you your 3 landings in the bird. They're all cheap as ****** so that's the only reason guys like us got a dream shot to go do this, try not to kill yourself, get your 1500 hrs of time and get out.
A couple of questions: How much do you think a 500 hr pilot flying a Citation is "Due". It looks like a "stupid cheif pilot" gave you a break. I'd be grateful rather than dismissive. The tradeoff is this: you get some very good experience and the company reduces its cost.
eprn1n2 is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:58 PM
  #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FoxHunter's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Retired
Posts: 980
Default

Originally Posted by GWBic View Post
First off I want to say I understand I am very lucky to be in the position I'm in. In my case it TRULY is who you know when it comes to part 91 flying. I often pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming. Now my story:

I currently have 4 hours TT. Yes, 4 hours. But I do have more aviation background than the typical student pilot. I have a connection with a company (currently a gag order so no specifics here) that will be purchasing a Global 5000 and they want me to fly it. I understand it will take some time but my connection has a lot of pull in the company and they are willing to pay for ALL of my flight training including getting me SIC type rated until I get my hours up.

I have my B.S. and I have looked into finishing my flight training at ATP Flight School. By going there it will allow me to receive ~275 total hours with 100 hours Multi time. I will also receive my CFI, CFII, and MEI. From there I will be sent to Montreal or Dallas to become SIC type rated as I will be flying Internationally.

I understand the regs pertaining to part 61.55 but the only thing that I am not sure about is part 91.1053 crewmember experience:

(a) No program manager or owner may use any person, nor may any person serve, as a pilot in command or second in command of a program aircraft, or as a flight attendant on a program aircraft, in program operations under this subpart unless that person has met the applicable requirements of part 61 of this chapter and has the following experience and ratings:
(1) Total flight time for all pilots:
(i) Pilot in command—A minimum of 1,500 hours.
(ii) Second in command—A minimum of 500 hours.

Does the min 500 hours TT only apply for part 135 flying or also 91? If so, am I able to fly in the right seat for domestic flights to build time until I get SIC type rated? I guess what's confusing is what's considered a "program flight/aircraft". I'd appreciate any info on part 91 flying. Also, any advice with ATP flight school is welcome!

I understand many well qualified pilots would kill to be in the position I am in and it is a dream come true! No big head on these shoulders.

Thanks!
Well there was a day when it was not unusual for a DC8, B707, B727, CV880, CV990 to have a F/O with a FAA Commercial, Instrument, ASEL and less than 500 hrs TT. The only difference today would be the Captain would have 10,000 hrs PIC jet as opposed to "a day" when the Captain had less than 1000 hrs in jets of which 150 hours were PIC. If you happen to be a guy/gal that has the talent to fly airplanes I see no problems. Good luck, and have fun.
Flying Magazine - Google Books
FoxHunter is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 06:03 PM
  #14  
Moderator
 
Cubdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.
Posts: 6,056
Default

Unfortunately it is not uncommon for wise older pilots who really should know better to pump steam up the butts of unknowing persons who happen to be standing nearby. I think that is what is going on here, and I also think it is foolishness to encourage this person to do anything but learn the science of flight and have fun doing it.
Cubdriver is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 PM
  #15  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FoxHunter's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Retired
Posts: 980
Default

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Unfortunately it is not uncommon for wise older pilots who really should know better to pump steam up the butts of unknowing persons who happen to be standing nearby. I think that is what is going on here, and I also think it is foolishness to encourage this person to do anything but learn the science of flight and have fun doing it.
Not at all! Just because 5,000 highly experienced pilots are trying to get the 5 good jobs available does not mean the one guy/gal with the great contacts can get the job, and show that he/she was in fact the best choice.
FoxHunter is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 06:27 PM
  #16  
Moderator
 
Cubdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.
Posts: 6,056
Default

Originally Posted by FoxHunter View Post
Not at all! Just because 5,000 highly experienced pilots are trying to get the 5 good jobs available does not mean the one guy/gal with the great contacts can get the job, and show that he/she was in fact the best choice.
So how would you know this person is the best one for the job? He does not have even 5 hours.
Cubdriver is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 06:42 PM
  #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FoxHunter's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Retired
Posts: 980
Default

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
So how would you know this person is the best one for the job? He does not have even 5 hours.
I don't know, but he/she may have been the best person to hire when one looks back in 2034.
FoxHunter is offline  
Old 05-18-2018, 01:29 PM
  #18  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 1
Default Total fantasy

Originally Posted by GWBic View Post
First off I want to say I understand I am very lucky to be in the position I'm in. In my case it TRULY is who you know when it comes to part 91 flying. I often pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming. Now my story:

I currently have 4 hours TT. Yes, 4 hours. But I do have more aviation background than the typical student pilot. I have a connection with a company (currently a gag order so no specifics here) that will be purchasing a Global 5000 and they want me to fly it. I understand it will take some time but my connection has a lot of pull in the company and they are willing to pay for ALL of my flight training including getting me SIC type rated until I get my hours up.

I have my B.S. and I have looked into finishing my flight training at ATP Flight School. By going there it will allow me to receive ~275 total hours with 100 hours Multi time. I will also receive my CFI, CFII, and MEI. From there I will be sent to Montreal or Dallas to become SIC type rated as I will be flying Internationally.

I understand the regs pertaining to part 61.55 but the only thing that I am not sure about is part 91.1053 crewmember experience:

(a) No program manager or owner may use any person, nor may any person serve, as a pilot in command or second in command of a program aircraft, or as a flight attendant on a program aircraft, in program operations under this subpart unless that person has met the applicable requirements of part 61 of this chapter and has the following experience and ratings:
(1) Total flight time for all pilots:
(i) Pilot in command—A minimum of 1,500 hours.
(ii) Second in command—A minimum of 500 hours.

Does the min 500 hours TT only apply for part 135 flying or also 91? If so, am I able to fly in the right seat for domestic flights to build time until I get SIC type rated? I guess what's confusing is what's considered a "program flight/aircraft". I'd appreciate any info on part 91 flying. Also, any advice with ATP flight school is welcome!

I understand many well qualified pilots would kill to be in the position I am in and it is a dream come true! No big head on these shoulders.

Thanks!
Won't happen. There is no insurance company in the world that will take on such liability. No matter how much you pay them.
fly4hireG200 is offline  
Old 05-18-2018, 03:13 PM
  #19  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 35,622
Default

Umm, this thread is four years old...
rickair7777 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
SempreInVolare
Career Questions
11
01-07-2014 06:34 PM
Jazzland
Flight Schools and Training
5
11-09-2011 02:31 PM
bsh932
Regional
6
08-13-2007 10:11 PM
Yamaha Dave
Hangar Talk
1
06-27-2007 04:07 PM
DJB23
Flight Schools and Training
8
04-10-2006 12:44 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread