Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #101  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Single occupancy hotel during regional training: THE defining criteria of a successful regional career. It won't matter at all if you get stuck chained to JO's oar for a decade as long as you had your own hotel room for a few weeks as a new hire.

You'd have to be insane to voluntarily choose mesa for any reason other than they are the only place which will hire you. People say they've changed, but as long as JO is there they haven't really. If he ever leaves, then they'd probably be similar to any other regional. But you don't want that guy holding a gun to your QOL and personal dignity.
Well, it shows how little the company appreciates you. Mesa pays better, both hire anyone. Hard to compare really.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #102  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
Well, it shows how little the company appreciates you. Mesa pays better, both hire anyone. Hard to compare really.
I just looked up the payscales, and I was making considerably more at SkyWest as a 175 CA than I would have at Mesa. Why do you say Mesa pays better?
wrxpilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #103  
Prime Minister
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 21,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
Well, it shows how little the company appreciates you. Mesa pays better, both hire anyone. Hard to compare really.


Yes mesa appreciates you. Bending over. But hey, if that's your thing...
rickair7777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #104  
Airborne bus driver
 
RadialGal's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: sky gypsy
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post


Yes mesa appreciates you. Bending over. But hey, if that's your thing...

Isn't the "term de jour" "leaning forward" or some such nonsense??

PS, send "dickie-do dillbert," over to Alaska; we will show him how real female fliers fly.

RadialGal

Last edited by RadialGal; 08-09-2018 at 10:59 PM. Reason: quotes are hard
RadialGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #105  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Default

Aside this guy excuses and completely wrong attitude about his failures, after 3000 hours of given instruction in GA and a couple hundred in a 142 center I’m really amazing how easy some of you judge 5 checkrides failures considering this guy useless or not cut to be a pilot.

I have many experiences about guys with no failures unable to complete a single engine ILS approach, feathering wrong engine, panicking in an engine cut…etc. I saw 757 senior captains mistaken the loc frequency and therefore approaching to the wrong runway, and 320 TRI turning to wrong side in a hold, etc… Also I remember several guys with 5- 6 failures in their records with an incredible flying skills, decision making, good attitude and I wondered what happened in their checkrides…..

Failures don’t mean too much, especially when it came from South Florida FSDO… one of the worst and shameful in the nation, having DPE with a very questionable judgment and integrity.

I would love to fly with some of those perfect pilots who have commented that this guy doesn’t fit for pilot because the failures. I would be amazed if after 17 instructional years you show me a perfect ride with no errors at all.
tmontana6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #106  
Prime Minister
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 21,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontana6 View Post
Aside this guy excuses and completely wrong attitude about his failures, after 3000 hours of given instruction in GA and a couple hundred in a 142 center I’m really amazing how easy some of you judge 5 checkrides failures considering this guy useless or not cut to be a pilot.

I have many experiences about guys with no failures unable to complete a single engine ILS approach, feathering wrong engine, panicking in an engine cut…etc. I saw 757 senior captains mistaken the loc frequency and therefore approaching to the wrong runway, and 320 TRI turning to wrong side in a hold, etc… Also I remember several guys with 5- 6 failures in their records with an incredible flying skills, decision making, good attitude and I wondered what happened in their checkrides…..

Failures don’t mean too much, especially when it came from South Florida FSDO… one of the worst and shameful in the nation, having DPE with a very questionable judgment and integrity.

I would love to fly with some of those perfect pilots who have commented that this guy doesn’t fit for pilot because the failures. I would be amazed if after 17 instructional years you show me a perfect ride with no errors at all.
It's possible that a young, inexperienced person could get caught up in a bad situation in part 91 and rack up a bunch of failures... general aviation (including 141 to a degree) is pretty inconsistent. With some experience, that person might be a great pilot.

It's also possible that someone with multiple failures just sucks. "Checkride-itis" is unfornuayely not a valid excuse, because employers need pilots who can not only fly safe but also complete training events in a timely and cost effective manner. Honestly a lot of them hire for the later criteria, and "assume" that completion of training will then correlate to safe pilot.

Employers don't know which you are, and they are not required to give anyone a "fair shake", so they'll typically move on to other candidates whose records don't pose an analytical dilemma.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter how good a pilot you are, or will become, a big part of the game you're playing is to keep your nose clean.
rickair7777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #107  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
It's possible that a young, inexperienced person could get caught up in a bad situation in part 91 and rack up a bunch of failures... general aviation (including 141 to a degree) is pretty inconsistent. With some experience, that person might be a great pilot.

It's also possible that someone with multiple failures just sucks. "Checkride-itis" is unfornuayely not a valid excuse, because employers need pilots who can not only fly safe but also complete training events in a timely and cost effective manner. Honestly a lot of them hire for the later criteria, and "assume" that completion of training will then correlate to safe pilot.

Employers don't know which you are, and they are not required to give anyone a "fair shake", so they'll typically move on to other candidates whose records don't pose an analytical dilemma.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter how good a pilot you are, or will become, a big part of the game you're playing is to keep your nose clean.

I completely agree with you and in some cases is not fair at all..is why I say that failures doesn't mean un-safe... is true that can mean difficult to train (checkride-itis) which also is important from the business perspective.

Agree also that is more easy choose the "clean" candidate but in the real 142 training you see which one are trainable and which are not... and that is not related his incident/accident/ride failures.

In Europe the airlines cannot see applicant failures because is personal data, so they do an full simulator assessment before hire anyone, and under my opinion... thats is quite more realistic and effective about pilot skills.

Also, all this things are related to market moment... someone told me that DAL hired recently individuals with DUI/Incident/Accident records, something unthinkable some time ago.
tmontana6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #108  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 3,570
Default

Sim assessments were once standard in the US.

Rickair777: were sim “rides” banned at some point? Or thought too expensive for the value?

GF
galaxy flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #109  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Sim assessments were once standard in the US.

Rickair777: were sim “rides” banned at some point? Or thought too expensive for the value?

GF
Thats a really good question... guess is cost and time
tmontana6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #110  
Prime Minister
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 21,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Sim assessments were once standard in the US.

Rickair777: were sim “rides” banned at some point? Or thought too expensive for the value?

GF
Rare these days. Costly in terms of time and money. But there's another reason too...

The regionals probably decided to give applicants a more thorough look-see via new-hire sim training. I think the interview sim was useful but it was not consistent across all applicants... applicants who had experience in type, experience in sims, or were maybe current instrument instructors had a marked advantage over those who were not. Also it was common for applicants to get sim prep at significant personal expense. I would say there were probably good pilots who got passed over because they didn't have experience in that particular sim.

I passed both of my regional interview sims, but the one which I had CFI instructor time in went a lot better than the 707 at AA!

That said, the end of the interview sim eval appeared to mark an inflection point in new-hire quality at my regional.
rickair7777 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rogue Examiners (Flying magazine) Reservist Technical 77 04-28-2013 12:08 AM
Checkride failures for current pilots? topgun Regional 80 06-16-2009 07:29 PM
Checkride failures brewcrew Regional 26 07-02-2007 08:44 AM
Checkride failures brewcrew Regional 5 06-30-2007 08:26 PM
checkride failures UConnQB14 Flight Schools and Training 20 07-09-2006 06:54 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:30 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1