Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Career Questions (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/career-questions/)
-   -   Background checks and driving record (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/career-questions/134353-background-checks-driving-record.html)

Apache 07-10-2021 05:14 PM

Background checks and driving record
 
I'm about to pull the trigger and go finish my fight training so I can change careers. But, I'm trying to sort out a few things beforehand to make sure I'm actually going to be hireable when I'm done.

To that end...
I'm good to go regarding criminal history/drugs/alcohol/credit.
I'm scheduling a consult with my AME to discuss my medical history before I apply for my medical.
I've done a background check on myself and pulled my driving records. I also have my NDR and State Police records on the way.



About my driving record...
I've pulled my 10-yr driving record in both states I've lived in, and they show nothing. However, I've had 6-7 speeding tickets in the past. Many of the tickets are 20-ish years old, with the most recent being 13 years ago (I'm 45, BTW). One was a reckless driving (not DUI related) for speeding back in 2000, which carries a misdemeanor charge here in VA.


Two questions:

1. With my driving record, is there a place for me commercial aviation? I'm not dead set on 121, and I'm fully aware that the Majors are out, but would regionals still be a possibility if I did want to go 121?

2: Can anyone recommend a better way to check my records? DMV and court records that I have access to only go back 10 and 15 years, respectively. But I want to be as accurate and straightforward as possible during any application process. I tried an online background check service (Truthfinder), and it showed a few old tickets, but there were some inaccuracies as well.


Thanks in advance for your help!

QRH Bingo 07-13-2021 04:38 AM

Your last ticket was 13 years ago and youíre in your 40ís? My opinion is your ability to pass a 1st class medical carries more weight. Youíre fine.
*Iím just a cog in the wheel with zero insight to HR issues.

jaxsurf 07-13-2021 05:39 AM

Sent you a PM.

Apache 07-13-2021 10:49 AM

Thanks! My next step is a consult with my AME to discuss a few potential issues before I apply for my 1st class medical.

PotatoChip 07-15-2021 06:26 AM


Originally Posted by Apache (Post 3261894)


1. With my driving record, is there a place for me commercial aviation? I'm not dead set on 121, and I'm fully aware that the Majors are out, but would regionals still be a possibility if I did want to go 121?


I'm in my 40s. As a teenager I had my license suspended for exceeding 100mph. I've had about 5-6 other tickets. Last ticket was seven years ago. I'm at a major airline and fully disclosed all of the above. Did it hurt my ability to get hired sooner? Probably. Did it add red flags and make my app a non-starter at a legacy or two? Probably.
Thankfully, however, there's still a place for us in aviation!

Apache 07-15-2021 10:00 AM


Originally Posted by PotatoChip (Post 3263846)
I'm in my 40s. As a teenager I had my license suspended for exceeding 100mph. I've had about 5-6 other tickets. Last ticket was seven years ago. I'm at a major airline and fully disclosed all of the above. Did it hurt my ability to get hired sooner? Probably. Did it add red flags and make my app a non-starter at a legacy or two? Probably.
Thankfully, however, there's still a place for us in aviation!

Thanks! I plan on being 100% upfront about everything, so hopefully I won't have too many issues.

Excargodog 07-15-2021 10:03 AM


Originally Posted by Apache (Post 3263947)
Thanks! I plan on being 100% upfront about everything, so hopefully I won't have too many issues.

Word of caution-
Donít get another speeding ticket until you are at your career employer.

Not a single one.

Apache 07-15-2021 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by Excargodog (Post 3263950)
Word of caution-
Donít get another speeding ticket until you are at your career employer.

Not a single one.

Thatís my plan.

tnkrdrvr 07-17-2021 02:19 PM


Originally Posted by Apache (Post 3261894)
I'm about to pull the trigger and go finish my fight training so I can change careers. But, I'm trying to sort out a few things beforehand to make sure I'm actually going to be hireable when I'm done.

To that end...
I'm good to go regarding criminal history/drugs/alcohol/credit.
I'm scheduling a consult with my AME to discuss my medical history before I apply for my medical.
I've done a background check on myself and pulled my driving records. I also have my NDR and State Police records on the way.



About my driving record...
I've pulled my 10-yr driving record in both states I've lived in, and they show nothing. However, I've had 6-7 speeding tickets in the past. Many of the tickets are 20-ish years old, with the most recent being 13 years ago (I'm 45, BTW). One was a reckless driving (not DUI related) for speeding back in 2000, which carries a misdemeanor charge here in VA.


Two questions:

1. With my driving record, is there a place for me commercial aviation? I'm not dead set on 121, and I'm fully aware that the Majors are out, but would regionals still be a possibility if I did want to go 121?

2: Can anyone recommend a better way to check my records? DMV and court records that I have access to only go back 10 and 15 years, respectively. But I want to be as accurate and straightforward as possible during any application process. I tried an online background check service (Truthfinder), and it showed a few old tickets, but there were some inaccuracies as well.


Thanks in advance for your help!

Every major/legacy is a little different, but, assuming you donít add anything new between now and getting hired, you should be fine. I may have been busted going so far over the limit in a 35 mph zone that the cop couldnít catch me until I stopped at a red light. (I didnít know I was even being pursued) Companies care about who you are today, not 20 years ago. If your resume is solid you will get a call.

JohnBurke 07-17-2021 06:05 PM

If your resume is solid, you may get a call.

Very well qualified people go their entire career and never get the call. There are far more applicants than jobs with the legacy airlines.

There are a lot of other jobs in aviation other than the legacy airlines, too.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:06 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands