Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Career Questions
Degree - anyone who has done this recently >

Degree - anyone who has done this recently

Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

Degree - anyone who has done this recently

Old 07-11-2021, 09:20 AM
  #1  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2016
Posts: 72
Default Degree - anyone who has done this recently

An ATP with many thousands of hours at a regional, looking to move up but missing the sought after degree. Have an Associates so am now looking for the quickest, cheapest way to get the Bachelors. Has anyone done this recently? Which college did you study through and how much did it cost? Really do not want to do a mundane degree in aviation but I suppose that way, I could use my flying experience as credit? All recommendations please!
Jatinsel is offline  
Old 07-11-2021, 11:34 AM
  #2  
On Reserve
 
TheBum's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2021
Posts: 10
Default

I was looking for a similar solution and the best i found was an online degree from TESU (Tommy Eddison University) and taking the credit for your ratings as well as previous school. (I have about 2yrs before I dropped out to pay for flight school). After enrolling in the required classed take the CLEP exams and clep out (entire websites dedicated to this) so you dont have to waste time in the classroom and save some cash.

(Full disclosure I am not currently enrolled, but plan to in the near future so I will be competitive by the time I have the hours needed for the big leagues.) This is the best solution I've found after spending a lot of time researching the quickest and cheapest way to check that box.
TheBum is offline  
Old 07-11-2021, 11:41 AM
  #3  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2016
Posts: 72
Default

Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
I was looking for a similar solution and the best i found was an online degree from TESU (Tommy Eddison University) and taking the credit for your ratings as well as previous school. (I have about 2yrs before I dropped out to pay for flight school). After enrolling in the required classed take the CLEP exams and clep out (entire websites dedicated to this) so you dont have to waste time in the classroom and save some cash.

(Full disclosure I am not currently enrolled, but plan to in the near future so I will be competitive by the time I have the hours needed for the big leagues.) This is the best solution I've found after spending a lot of time researching the quickest and cheapest way to check that box.
Will look into that! Thank you!
Jatinsel is offline  
Old 07-17-2021, 02:12 PM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 711
Default

I totally understand the box check mentality. However, itís tough to overstate the value of a degree that gives you options outside of aviation. Donít be a one trick pony.
tnkrdrvr is offline  
Old 07-17-2021, 08:00 PM
  #5  
Gets Everyday Off
 
TransWorld's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed
Posts: 4,034
Default

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
I totally understand the box check mentality. However, itís tough to overstate the value of a degree that gives you options outside of aviation. Donít be a one trick pony.
Yep, a degree in business, engineering, or sciences and one can get a decent paying job most any day. A degree in general studies qualifies you to become an over the road truck driver (not that there is anything bad about my friends who drive trucks. And they make a living). It is just not my cup of tea.
TransWorld is offline  
Old 07-18-2021, 06:34 AM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2021
Posts: 103
Default

a variety of Texas schools offer great (easy) online degrees. all fully recognized/certified and all with "real" campus's in case that perception matters
hercretired is offline  
Old 07-19-2021, 04:30 AM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2011
Position: E145 CA
Posts: 361
Default

Originally Posted by Jatinsel View Post
An ATP with many thousands of hours at a regional, looking to move up but missing the sought after degree. Have an Associates so am now looking for the quickest, cheapest way to get the Bachelors. Has anyone done this recently? Which college did you study through and how much did it cost? Really do not want to do a mundane degree in aviation but I suppose that way, I could use my flying experience as credit? All recommendations please!
If you are an ALPA member, the deal they have with TESU is fairly good. With your associates degree already completed it should only be $2-3k for an aviation degree.

https://TESU.edu/alpa

I agree it would be nice to have a different concentration just in case. But the quickest cheapest route to a regionally accredited degree is aviation at TESU.
tallpilot is offline  
Old 08-30-2021, 05:36 PM
  #8  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Aug 2021
Posts: 9
Default Finish college

Find a college that has a traditional day-time curriculum and an expedited adult night time degree program.

Line up your grant funding and students loans ahead of time, while you have a job. Then take a leave of absense and take both day-time courses and night-time courses. Test out of as many credits as you can.

Treat it like a job, tell your instructors what youíre doing and most will map out test dates and paper due dates on the first day of class. If you do the work they will help you succeed.

Map out your courses from beginning to the end, with your counselor before you start. Knock it out.

I went from zero to accredited BS degree in 18 months. With a well known respected college.

If you need some extra income (besides loans) take a part time security guard job on a slow night shift. Read and do homework n between your rounds.

You can do this ... youíre half way there already.
WindwardPilot is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ERJ135
Flight Schools and Training
7
12-14-2019 08:26 PM
suppakuppa
Flight Schools and Training
31
02-06-2018 04:17 PM
BlueMoon
Career Questions
78
12-17-2012 03:34 AM
skypimp92
Flight Schools and Training
6
03-27-2012 03:08 PM
theblueone
Flight Schools and Training
7
02-06-2007 04:36 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread