Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #31  
Seeing the World
 
maxjet's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: B747-4 CA/Instructor
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
So it's about image, then.

What difference does it make what the crew thinks of you if you're in their jumpseat? Are you seriously suggesting taking a job for the benefit of looking better, being considered an equal, or however you wish to parse it, while in the jump seat?

If that's your goal, it might work out for you. In my experience, having flown ACMI widebody international, when jumping, nobody cared who I flew for, and most had no idea who my employer was, when I told them.

It really comes down to your goal here. If you're after international experience, that's understandable, and if you're interested in experiencing a wide body airframe, ok. If you want to travel, look for variety, or see this as an opportunity with relatively short upgrade times, there's something. It's not a fast path to a major. I can't imagine the notion of seeking out a job however, in order to upgrade your appearance to the crew operating a flight on which you're jumpseating. Seems a tad overkill for a superficial, even vain benefit, if it could be considered a benefit at all, don't you think?

You're not likely to fly enough hours to fast track yourself anywhere, or to use the job as a stepping stone, so hiring on will need to be for the job itself, rather than some pass-through benefit. If it's about looking good to the cockpit crew of your jumpseat ride, it seems quite an effort to make for a very insignificant return...those impressed crewmembers (they won't be) aren't going to get you closer to an alternate goal.

Sounds like an advanced stage of shiny jet syndrome; big shiny jet syndrome.

I can think of a lot of good reasons to take the job. How it makes you look in passing to mainline crew isn't one of them.
I donít think no land 3 was talking about any of the things you disparage him for. I noticed the same thing he has after my first wide body type. All of a sudden major airline Captains wanted to talk to me about flying. Didnít do Adamn thing to enhance my career but it sure made the ride in the jump seat much more pleasurable. I also seemed to notice an increase in Captains who would personally tell the lead FA to put me in first if they had an opening. It is always better to be treated as a peer and not the hired help.
maxjet is offline  
Old 01-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #32  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: B767 Capt.
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjet View Post
I also seemed to notice an increase in Captains who would personally tell the lead FA to put me in first if they had an opening. It is always better to be treated as a peer and not the hired help.
I would also tell my lead FA to seat you in my First Class section if we have an opening. 😬🤣
gumpscheck is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #33  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjet View Post
I donít think no land 3 was talking about any of the things you disparage him for. I noticed the same thing he has after my first wide body type. All of a sudden major airline Captains wanted to talk to me about flying. Didnít do Adamn thing to enhance my career but it sure made the ride in the jump seat much more pleasurable. I also seemed to notice an increase in Captains who would personally tell the lead FA to put me in first if they had an opening. It is always better to be treated as a peer and not the hired help.

I too have noticed an instant change I mainline pilot attitudes toward me when I introduce myself as MD11 rather than 145.

It's obviously not a good reason to take a job barring all else, but, it is nice to be seen as a peer instead of a yong punk that works in the part of the business that contributed to your furlough back in 2002.
WinggedHussars is offline  
Old 01-09-2018, 02:19 AM   #34  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: Md11
Posts: 57
Default

Do guys have EFBís over there at Western? Thanks
Need4speed21 is offline  
Old 01-09-2018, 03:48 AM   #35  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2013
Position: erj-145 FO
Posts: 163
Default

they have 4g ipads, pm of you are thinking of interviewing
24601 is offline  
Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #36  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 14
Default

Is the 13 days off consecutive? If a pilot volunteers to extend their days on duty while on a trip affect other pilots that are starting their 17 days on? Does the company break up your 13 day segment stretch? Do you have to sign a training contract? What kind of hotels are you staying in? Are all crew meals provided? Is ground transportation used instead of a airline tickets to get you back to your base sometimes?
2018jet is offline  
Old 01-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #37  
On Reserve
 
mothergoose's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2014
Posts: 24
Default

I would really like to PM somebody in the company. I recently applied for spot and wondering who I could talk to about getting application looked at. Iíve already spent a lot of time flying around the world the past year in a Hawker 800. Been to every continent except Australia and Antarctica. Just luck of crew scheduleing. Iím ready to do these legs in a big jet and put some seniority down at a company
mothergoose is offline  
Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #38  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: Md11
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothergoose View Post
I would really like to PM somebody in the company. I recently applied for spot and wondering who I could talk to about getting application looked at. Iíve already spent a lot of time flying around the world the past year in a Hawker 800. Been to every continent except Australia and Antarctica. Just luck of crew scheduleing. Iím ready to do these legs in a big jet and put some seniority down at a company
Ií Been trying to get a interview also but no luck I guess the next step is to go to head quarters in Astero Fl and walk my resume since I live pretty close to them
Need4speed21 is offline  
Old 01-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #39  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4speed21 View Post
Ií Been trying to get a interview also but no luck I guess the next step is to go to head quarters in Astero Fl and walk my resume since I live pretty close to them
Iíve been told that they have a lot of resumes on file now and are being a bit more selective.
No Land 3 is offline  
Old 05-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #40  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2006
Posts: 52
Default Questions

I have a few questions.

Can I PM someone who works there?
Front Office is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feeling the "APA LUV"! Route66 American 6 04-08-2015 06:38 AM
Eagle Pilots: A Must Read 32LTangoTen Regional 0 08-19-2012 01:47 PM
American Eagle ALPA & AA APA Strike bgmann Regional 31 11-19-2011 07:33 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:47 PM.