Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #1741  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for all your inputs.
cingalls is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #1742  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Blackhawk's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Honestly the only difference between a junior and senior captain is the ability to bid lines that are worth more than 64 hours. Right now the higher value lines seem to be DHL, so the junior guys tend to do Turkish and China.
Iíve found even the 50 hourish lines are pushing above guarantee when R2s are thrown in. Mileage may vary.
Blackhawk is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #1743  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 5
Question

Thanks again. One more question:

What do you current Kalitta guys realistically expect to happen in a new contract? Dec 2020 correct?

I see the retirement as a major hole right now.
cingalls is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #1744  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Riverside's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingalls View Post
Thanks again. One more question:

What do you current Kalitta guys realistically expect to happen in a new contract? Dec 2020 correct?

I see the retirement as a major hole right now.
Who knows. Might be right away, or a couple years. It's not guaranteed that when a contract becomes amenable that it will pass.
Riverside is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #1745  
Seeing the World
 
maxjet's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: B747-4 CA
Posts: 1,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingalls View Post
Thanks again. One more question:

What do you current Kalitta guys realistically expect to happen in a new contract? Dec 2020 correct?

I see the retirement as a major hole right now.
Why do you see retirement as a major hole? If we did not get retirement, would you then leave and start over at the bottom of the pay scale at a new carrier. I realize you donít work here yet, but if you got hired next week and the contract was renewed 4 years from today that is a question you would have to answer.

My opinion? Anyone who gets hired here and does not put 20% of their pay away for retirement is a fool. You may make more money later and have more discretionary income but You can never get the time back for compounding your interest in an investment.

If you took $25.00 an hour of your starting pay and put it into retirement you would still be making more per hour than most other starting salaries. Why depend on an employer to provide your retirement when you can so easily do so yourself.
maxjet is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #1746  
Gets Weekends Off
 
goinaround's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjet View Post
Why do you see retirement as a major hole? If we did not get retirement, would you then leave and start over at the bottom of the pay scale at a new carrier. I realize you donít work here yet, but if you got hired next week and the contract was renewed 4 years from today that is a question you would have to answer.

My opinion? Anyone who gets hired here and does not put 20% of their pay away for retirement is a fool. You may make more money later and have more discretionary income but You can never get the time back for compounding your interest in an investment.

If you took $25.00 an hour of your starting pay and put it into retirement you would still be making more per hour than most other starting salaries. Why depend on an employer to provide your retirement when you can so easily do so yourself.
Just about every other carrier out there offers a 15% DC. Anything you put on top of that is gravy. That's a deal breaker for a lot of people that have many years left in the industry. And yeah, I think a lot of people would leave after a few years and start over. FDX pay is about $180K second year. That's a LOT of cheddar over a 20 year career.
goinaround is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #1747  
Gets Weekends Off
 
No Land 3's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinaround View Post
Just about every other carrier out there offers a 15% DC. Anything you put on top of that is gravy. That's a deal breaker for a lot of people that have many years left in the industry. And yeah, I think a lot of people would leave after a few years and start over. FDX pay is about $180K second year. That's a LOT of cheddar over a 20 year career.
180k? I've flown with 2nd year guys here that topped 220k. Just some perspective for you.

Last edited by No Land 3; 06-28-2019 at 06:00 PM.
No Land 3 is online now  
Old 06-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #1748  
Gets Weekends Off
 
goinaround's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Land 3 View Post
We have 2nd year FO's that make that too, or more. It is a lot of cheddar, and why many don't want to go elsewhere.
I'm quoting FDX guarantee pay. I'm sure a lot of those guys can break 230 with OT just like some of our first officers break guarantee (but 180K?....I haven't come even close). Gotta look at reality here. Not everyone has a pension and funded 401 from a previous career like Max. Most will be relying on K4 for a funded retirement.
goinaround is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #1749  
Gets Weekends Off
 
goinaround's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Land 3 View Post
180k? I've flown with 2nd year guys here that topped 220k. Just some perspective for you.
Well I'm rocking an average of 72 hrs a month. With the raise...that'd be around $115K a year. To make $220K you'd have to average 140 credit hours a month. That's over double guarantee pay...and I'm using $131/hr for that figure. There is absolutely no overtime available right now. I call shenanigans.
goinaround is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #1750  
Gets Weekends Off
 
No Land 3's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinaround View Post
I'm quoting FDX guarantee pay. I'm sure a lot of those guys can break 230 with OT just like some of our first officers break guarantee (but 180K?....I haven't come even close). Gotta look at reality here. Not everyone has a pension and funded 401 from a previous career like Max. Most will be relying on K4 for a funded retirement.
I'm thinking of rental properties, additional sources of income I can continue to do beyond age 65. 401K is nice but not enough
No Land 3 is online now  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Subcontract Airlines (Part 121 "Regional") winglet Regional 47 05-15-2016 10:45 PM
Any New News on Kalitta Air Hiring? alphonso1 Charter 31 12-20-2014 09:23 PM
Kalitta Air attending job fair AeroCrewSolut Cargo 6 05-16-2012 07:55 PM
DAL to replace 100 757's with 739's FastDEW Major 201 09-03-2011 07:42 AM
Pilots, Air Canada book dates to negotiate wage re-opener flystraightin Major 4 05-31-2006 07:31 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:12 PM.