Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Closed
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #21  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: 777 Left window seat
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
With military experience you are overqualified for Southern, even if itís not jet experience. How many DUIs do you have? Thereís a 3 DUI minimum to apply.
Maybe you should step away from the keyboard and actually say that face to face to a Southern pilot!
Birdsmash is online now  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #22  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddriver View Post
So I read tons of neg posts... makes Southern 777 opportunity look pretty concerning.... straight scoop please...

Am I to understand you can get paid less than Min-G (62 hours)? How does that work....

I am at a regional getting maybe 45 -55 Hours a month after losing flights to displacement etc.... I feel like flying a 777 at rates that appear much higher than regional FO pay would be a great opportunity... But reading posts makes it seem like thatís a very wrong thought on my end!

I am military and need more Turbine time to be competitive at what I feel would be my desired career airlines...I would like to get some Cargo experience as I truly believe I would prefer nights and straight trips 15-17 days rather than broken 4 on 2-3 off with passengers.... but again.... everyone seems to be so Neg about this... inputs please; real data...
Expect to be gone for 40 days straight at Southern. It happens sometimes.

Why not go to Omni or Kalitta? They get paid wayyy more and Kalitta loves hiring military guys. They're also only gone 16 or 17 days a month. ATI and NAC also get paid a lot more and have better schedules. There are just so many better options.

And then of course there's Allegiant, Spirit, Frontier and probably more that I can't think of right now that all have better schedules and get paid a lot more. Those would all be great choices that would get you to your career destination.
kolt66 is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #23  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Fetal and Fatigued
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolt66 View Post

And then of course there's Allegiant, Spirit, Frontier and probably more that I can't think of right now that all have better schedules and get paid a lot more.
Letís not leave Home Depot, Loweís and being a Walmart greeter out of the equation. All of which would be better choices than Southern.
Jurassic Jet is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #24  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Jet View Post
Letís not leave Home Depot, Loweís and being a Walmart greeter out of the equation. All of which would be better choices than Southern.
You should probably stick to info about ABX.
WhipWhitaker is online now  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #25  
Gets Weekends Off
 
atpcliff's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt
Posts: 2,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddriver View Post
So I read tons of neg posts... makes Southern 777 opportunity look pretty concerning.... straight scoop please...

Am I to understand you can get paid less than Min-G (62 hours)? How does that work....

I am at a regional getting maybe 45 -55 Hours a month after losing flights to displacement etc.... I feel like flying a 777 at rates that appear much higher than regional FO pay would be a great opportunity... But reading posts makes it seem like thatís a very wrong thought on my end!

I am military and need more Turbine time to be competitive at what I feel would be my desired career airlines...I would like to get some Cargo experience as I truly believe I would prefer nights and straight trips 15-17 days rather than broken 4 on 2-3 off with passengers.... but again.... everyone seems to be so Neg about this... inputs please; real data...
I'm not sure about Southern 777, but Atlas 747/767 or Southern 737 you will fly less than you are now.

Some of the regionals are flying a lot...look into switching regionals and taking the bonus for doing so...
atpcliff is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #26  
Gets Weekends Off
 
DC8DRIVER's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 747
Posts: 1,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdsmash View Post
Maybe you should step away from the keyboard and actually say that face to face to a Southern pilot!
I'm pretty sure that wasn't a slight towards the Southern guys. Others have said as much about Atlas and I didn't take offense.

Jack is simply saying that Southern's pay and working conditions are so poor that qualified pilots usually head for better jobs at reputable airlines.
DC8DRIVER is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:52 AM   #27  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Dec 2018
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
I'm not sure about Southern 777, but Atlas 747/767 or Southern 737 you will fly less than you are now.

Some of the regionals are flying a lot...look into switching regionals and taking the bonus for doing so...
Good points; thanks to everyone who is posting legit responses... anyone replying as a 777 guy at southern? Would be interested in knowing how many hours you are getting...
skiddriver is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:32 AM   #28  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Dec 2018
Posts: 24
Default

No, not time build.... I would like to fly larger aircraft internationally... I would like to compare the differences between ACMI / Cargo world and my current passenger flying world. At the same time If the hours and pay is more than I am getting now it seems like an opportunity... but again, I am researching and honestly asking questions to hear opinions.... Thanks for sharing thoughts
skiddriver is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #29  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2014
Posts: 181
Default

Funny how no one understands the sarcasm in this thread. You guys need to lighten up.

Do your really think that all the negative things discussed in this thread have changed in a little over a month?

Southern - It is what it is. Will never get better. Never has, never will. It will only get worse. Crew shortages mean that life will only get more miserable. I have already been called at home on days off. They attempted to involuntarily assign me a trip that would chew up my remaining 5-6 days off, which would put me right back on the road for the scheduled trip with no break whatsoever. What's to learn in that?

Married? Family? Not after a turn at SAI.

SAI is not ACMI anymore. It used to be fun when it was. Right now it is one contract, constantly going to the same places over and over. 14+ hour legs, which your are not going to get a lot of experience on. It will be a battle to keep current on your landings. What you will learn is how to sleep on an aircraft, how to get minimal rest when you land - maybe. When you do get a chance to get a longer layover in Hong Kong you will learn how to get your freak on in Wan Chai, get p**s drunk, and put your marriage in jeopardy.

When crews meet the first question to each other is "Did you get any sleep?". No joke.

As to the DUI reference - obviously a joke, you know back to that sarcasm thing. Just remember there is always a bit of truth behind a joke. You can read into that whatever way you want, hic!

Last edited by Diesel8; 01-11-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Diesel8 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #30  
Gets Weekends Off
 
CaptDave's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Position: Upright, 32A
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742Dash View Post
Regardless of how you feel about the 73 at Southern, this is a small industry. And the HR people move around just like the pilots do. In fact one of the reasons that HR people like job fairs is that they get to look around for their next job.

It is not a good idea to go off on anyone in the hiring system, to include the van drivers and receptionists.
it wasnít about the 73. My dream since I was a kid was to be a 737 CA. I love the 73. The issue is, itís not what I applied for and when the pay was discussed, I just about choked on my coffee. 50hr guarantee at $80/hr? Whoa.
CaptDave is offline  
 
 
 

 
Closed
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marine Corps raising Pilot Retention Bonuses AirBear Military 34 07-23-2018 07:39 PM
Orange Air... alphonso1 Charter 142 05-01-2017 08:29 PM
PRIA questions 321SeeYa Career Questions 14 03-18-2014 04:04 PM
Southern Air emerges from Chapter 11 Sata 4000 RP Cargo 3 04-17-2013 07:35 AM
Direct Air files for bankruptcy trent890 Charter 17 04-15-2012 06:39 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:17 PM.