Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 215
Default Atlas MEC Statments

Did Atlas MEC really say “Amazon Carriers are a ticking bomb”

Just read that, news stories are referenced to it. Some Bloke is trying to say because low wages cant get good pilots. Id say that is encredible poor taste and lack of decency. Im at ATI, perhaps Im not an astronaut but Im safe and never failed anything. Just not fortunate to land a good interview. Those kind of statements are inappropriate
midnightshuttle is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #2  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: 747 First Officer
Posts: 16
Default

I believe these comments were made before the IAH accident.
PAOFlyer is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #3  
Polyester Pilot
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: 744 CA
Posts: 348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAOFlyer View Post
I believe these comments were made before the IAH accident.
That's the problem with the internet. Statements last forever. Might be a little awkward for the EXCO if they meet the families of the crew of 3591.
sky jet is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: Wichita
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightshuttle View Post
Did Atlas MEC really say “Amazon Carriers are a ticking bomb”

Just read that, news stories are referenced to it. Some Bloke is trying to say because low wages cant get good pilots. Id say that is encredible poor taste and lack of decency. Im at ATI, perhaps Im not an astronaut but Im safe and never failed anything. Just not fortunate to land a good interview. Those kind of statements are inappropriate
So, you didn’t read the article I take it.
JackStraw is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightshuttle View Post
Did Atlas MEC really say “Amazon Carriers are a ticking bomb”

Just read that, news stories are referenced to it. Some Bloke is trying to say because low wages cant get good pilots. Id say that is encredible poor taste and lack of decency. Im at ATI, perhaps Im not an astronaut but Im safe and never failed anything. Just not fortunate to land a good interview. Those kind of statements are inappropriate
I had read the article and believe it was written and quoted long before the 23rd. With that said, it's my opinion that many of the operations within the ACMI world are higher risk than in past times.

The experience level in many ACMI flight decks is minimal when compared to past times. That does not necessarily mean only high time pilots are good pilots, etc. Historically many carriers that have experienced high turn-over, rapid expansion, and quick upgrades also have increased operational issues. Most are not "accidents" (and I'm not directly implying this to Atlas 3591) and can be trended through ASAP, FOQA, LOSA, and internal airline reports. Those are just the reported occurrences, many stay within the flight deck walls and are never reported.

ATI for one has several quick upgrades with low time in type. So does Atlas and others. ABX is temporarily immune since any upgrades (which there are none..) would be from FO's with over 20yrs and thousands of hours in company type. They too will eventually hit the same benchmarks as others....not good from what I have seen on the line and in the jumpseat.

Of course, others will view this as a method to higher wages and/or rest rules. All of which are needed to play a single level of safety. His statements are far from inappropriate and more on the level of overdue and under-heard.
abxflyr is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #6  
Line Holder
 
Airplaneflyer11's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Slightly tilted right and mostly asleep.
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abxflyr View Post
I had read the article and believe it was written and quoted long before the 23rd. With that said, it's my opinion that many of the operations within the ACMI world are higher risk than in past times.

The experience level in many ACMI flight decks is minimal when compared to past times. That does not necessarily mean only high time pilots are good pilots, etc. Historically many carriers that have experienced high turn-over, rapid expansion, and quick upgrades also have increased operational issues. Most are not "accidents" (and I'm not directly implying this to Atlas 3591) and can be trended through ASAP, FOQA, LOSA, and internal airline reports. Those are just the reported occurrences, many stay within the flight deck walls and are never reported.

ATI for one has several quick upgrades with low time in type. So does Atlas and others. ABX is temporarily immune since any upgrades (which there are none..) would be from FO's with over 20yrs and thousands of hours in company type. They too will eventually hit the same benchmarks as others....not good from what I have seen on the line and in the jumpseat.

Of course, others will view this as a method to higher wages and/or rest rules. All of which are needed to play a single level of safety. His statements are far from inappropriate and more on the level of overdue and under-heard.
Abxflyr...the voice of reason
Airplaneflyer11 is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAOFlyer View Post
I believe these comments were made before the IAH accident.


Yes after further research your correct however the news sites were posting it as it had just happened as in post accident.
midnightshuttle is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #8  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: sandwich
Posts: 81
Default

Hard to believe some are stupid enough to think these statements came after the accident. Really? REALLY!?

The author corrected the title of his clickbait bs story.
https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...-232343-1.html
Nate2046 is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #9  
Polyester Pilot
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: 744 CA
Posts: 348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
Hard to believe some are stupid enough to think these statements came after the accident. Really? REALLY!?

The author corrected the title of his clickbait bs story.
https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...-232343-1.html
No, what is stupid is making these kinds of statements and then trying to walk them back when you have an accident. As I said above, in this day and age statements never go away. He clearly implied that an accident/incident was a possibility due to lowered hiring standards and or fatigue and morale. Now that one has happened those words are being used by the press to tarnish the reputations of the crew by insinuation. A statement from the union after the fact can not put the genie back in the bottle.
sky jet is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #10  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Dec 2018
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky jet View Post
No, what is stupid is making these kinds of statements and then trying to walk them back when you have an accident. As I said above, in this day and age statements never go away. He clearly implied that an accident/incident was a possibility due to lowered hiring standards and or fatigue and morale. Now that one has happened those words are being used by the press to tarnish the reputations of the crew by insinuation. A statement from the union after the fact can not put the genie back in the bottle.

Hear, hear - hear, hear.
scrupulous is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Straight talk from LAX Council 16 rube Delta 23 12-14-2016 02:57 PM
SLC CAPT/CHAIR Resigns.... newKnow Delta 80 08-24-2015 12:10 AM
It is not about the 747/777!!! Flyguppy United 227 10-26-2012 04:23 PM
CAL MEC Update Redeye Pilot United 92 10-19-2010 09:02 PM
Polar MEC Chair Message Freighter Captain Cargo 0 09-24-2005 09:50 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:56 PM.