Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #21  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,675
Default

Well, Atlas could be a "diamond in the rough" like K4 was right before the new contract, IF your contract IS right around the corner.
No Land 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #22  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Packrat's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green
Posts: 3,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Land 3 View Post
Well, Atlas could be a "diamond in the rough" like K4 was right before the new contract, IF your contract IS right around the corner.
Omni was the same way before they got their new contract. Hopefully, the Atlas pilots will be the same soon.
Packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:18 AM   #23  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Atlas Shrugged's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: 747 CA
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLurker View Post
Sounds horrible, Iím sure schedules like that destroyís families!

Are you staying for a career? Jumping ship laterally to other ACMIís? Have apps out to LLCís?

If schedule so horrible and family so important, why are many of you staying? What are the attrition numbers like (if published)? Data must exist.
This is the frustrating part. I have been here 12 years now and have been a 74 CA for almost 4 years. Those who can leave, and are in an earlier stage of their career, are leaving. But for many of us, leaving is easier said than done.

Almost everyone will tell you that they enjoy the actual job, but the lies and abuse from management, including the absolute refusal to negotiate a fair contract that would stop the bleeding and allow Atlas Air to capture market share, has reached suicidal levels and left most of us shaking our heads.

Everything is punitive at Atlas. I average about 70 hours a month. The only way to make any real money here is work a lot of overtime. But you have to be able to get the overtime which comes and goes in waves.

The pilots are viewed as the enemy by Bill and John which is why we have a toxic work culture here. We will be lucky if we don't kill more people before it is all said and done.

The crazy thing is that pilots come to this site and hear all this, but somehow don't believe it.

Atlas could be one of the best jobs in aviation if only for a fair contract. Many of us are going to have to ride it out one way or another.
Atlas Shrugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #24  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Position: RJ
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
This is the frustrating part. I have been here 12 years now and have been a 74 CA for almost 4 years. Those who can leave, and are in an earlier stage of their career, are leaving. But for many of us, leaving is easier said than done.

Almost everyone will tell you that they enjoy the actual job, but the lies and abuse from management, including the absolute refusal to negotiate a fair contract that would stop the bleeding and allow Atlas Air to capture market share, has reached suicidal levels and left most of us shaking our heads.

Everything is punitive at Atlas. I average about 70 hours a month. The only way to make any real money here is work a lot of overtime. But you have to be able to get the overtime which comes and goes in waves.

The pilots are viewed as the enemy by Bill and John which is why we have a toxic work culture here. We will be lucky if we don't kill more people before it is all said and done.

The crazy thing is that pilots come to this site and hear all this, but somehow don't believe it.

Atlas could be one of the best jobs in aviation if only for a fair contract. Many of us are going to have to ride it out one way or another.
Nobody expects everyone to be in a position to leave.

Some strong people need to stick around to fight the 'good fight'.
Varsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:43 AM   #25  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
This is the frustrating part. I have been here 12 years now and have been a 74 CA for almost 4 years. Those who can leave, and are in an earlier stage of their career, are leaving. But for many of us, leaving is easier said than done.

Almost everyone will tell you that they enjoy the actual job, but the lies and abuse from management, including the absolute refusal to negotiate a fair contract that would stop the bleeding and allow Atlas Air to capture market share, has reached suicidal levels and left most of us shaking our heads.

Everything is punitive at Atlas. I average about 70 hours a month. The only way to make any real money here is work a lot of overtime. But you have to be able to get the overtime which comes and goes in waves.

The pilots are viewed as the enemy by Bill and John which is why we have a toxic work culture here. We will be lucky if we don't kill more people before it is all said and done.

The crazy thing is that pilots come to this site and hear all this, but somehow don't believe it.

Atlas could be one of the best jobs in aviation if only for a fair contract. Many of us are going to have to ride it out one way or another.
Atlas was built on the back of guys like shrugged here. And when it came time to pay up the company chose to litigate and stall instead of negotiate fairly and this is the mess we are in now.

I am also worried about the lasting legacy this protracted labor dispute will leave. Guys with 4-5 yrs on property came in with tons of experience from other carriers and have now all upgraded , but as they steadily flow from the left seat to other jobs the newest captains will have less and less. Iím sure most are sharp and will be fine but for many this will be their first pic experience. You just donít get good at flying doing this kind of work. If they didnít get some good hands on Time from where they came I donít know how they will get it now.
kodiakallstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #26  
Gets Weekends Off
 
DC8DRIVER's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 747
Posts: 1,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav3atps View Post
Without this turning into a bashing contest about Atlas, would someone, preferably newer, be so kind to post their typical schedule for the month on the 767? I hear they're based out of Ontario Ca. these days if I've heard right. Thanks
I can't speak to the 767 or ONT, but please do yourself the favor of reading up on the current situation at Atlas. The main thread is on the Hiring section here on APC. You should be able to make up your own mind by doing that research. It's very extensive and informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Land 3 View Post
Well, Atlas could be a "diamond in the rough" like K4 was right before the new contract, IF your contract IS right around the corner.
In my personal experience of 7+ years at Atlas, my opinion is that there will not be a new contract anytime in the next several years. Hoping there will be one will not change the way management operates. JMHO
DC8DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #27  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLurker View Post
Sounds horrible, Iím sure schedules like that destroyís families!

Are you staying for a career? Jumping ship laterally to other ACMIís? Have apps out to LLCís?

If schedule so horrible and family so important, why are many of you staying? What are the attrition numbers like (if published)? Data must exist.
Right now Iím sitting at top %40 in company. Very senior on the jet. Live in base, work the system. It is what it is. Trying to get out ASAP.
boeingdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #28  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: sitting
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
This is the frustrating part. I have been here 12 years now and have been a 74 CA for almost 4 years. Those who can leave, and are in an earlier stage of their career, are leaving. But for many of us, leaving is easier said than done.

Almost everyone will tell you that they enjoy the actual job, but the lies and abuse from management, including the absolute refusal to negotiate a fair contract that would stop the bleeding and allow Atlas Air to capture market share, has reached suicidal levels and left most of us shaking our heads.

Everything is punitive at Atlas. I average about 70 hours a month. The only way to make any real money here is work a lot of overtime. But you have to be able to get the overtime which comes and goes in waves.

The pilots are viewed as the enemy by Bill and John which is why we have a toxic work culture here. We will be lucky if we don't kill more people before it is all said and done.

The crazy thing is that pilots come to this site and hear all this, but somehow don't believe it.

Atlas could be one of the best jobs in aviation if only for a fair contract. Many of us are going to have to ride it out one way or another.
I'm listening. With only 7 years left before 65 to get back into this just for an adventure, doesn't sound worth the headaches. Much appreciate your insight. As well as to others who posted productive information. Currentlly work a non flying gig as an avionics tech home every night, mediocre money but sustainable. Had a great flying gig for 19 years but got furloughed a few years back. Best to just be appreciative for the good memories but no longer obtainable at my age. Thank you again...
hav3atps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #29  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 99
Default

Any particular reason you're focused on Atlas? Kalitta and Omni have similar schedules but MUCH better contracts.
CardboardCutout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #30  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: Wichita
Posts: 308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardCutout View Post
Any particular reason you're focused on Atlas? Kalitta and Omni have similar schedules but MUCH better contracts.
The money isn’t nearly as good at Atlas but it’s more laid back and chill.
JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Atlas Air Hiring 1st Supersonic Hiring News 17563 Yesterday 09:30 AM
Alaska Air Wins U.S. Approval for Virgin Flyin1500 Alaska 63 04-01-2017 12:27 PM
Direct Air files for bankruptcy trent890 Charter 17 04-15-2012 06:39 AM
Atlas Air Press Release GIANT PILOT Cargo 33 06-13-2008 05:22 PM
SkyWest looking to buy MAG, XJT, or both Deez340 Regional 160 05-06-2008 09:41 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:57 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1