Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #21  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: 74 FO
Posts: 94
Default

If they are going to hire candidates with minimal experience, how about re-introducing the sim evaluation. Let’s make sure someone can at least manually fly a plane around the pattern in IMC. Frankly, some of what I’m seeing online is disturbing and unsettling.

Atlas meet Darwin, Darwin Atlas.
useless is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #22  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: 777 Left window seat
Posts: 219
Default

^ ^ yes please!
Birdsmash is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #23  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: Wichita
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless View Post
If they are going to hire candidates with minimal experience, how about re-introducing the sim evaluation. Let’s make sure someone can at least manually fly a plane around the pattern in IMC. Frankly, some of what I’m seeing online is disturbing and unsettling.

Atlas meet Darwin, Darwin Atlas.
They can’t spare any sim time for interviewees due to all the remedial training being given. F
JackStraw is online now  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #24  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: 777 Left window seat
Posts: 219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
They canít spare any sim time for interviewees due to all the remedial training being given. F
My guess is it would cut the already dismal number of applicants in half. Canít have that. Put meat in the seat at all costs.
Birdsmash is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 05:35 AM   #25  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: May 2019
Posts: 2
Default

Either Jonny doesnít grasp written language or he just wants to scare people off.
Jonny post the email for all to read, bet they come away with a different interpretation. I bet you had a rough time getting through training. You probably came away from your type like you did your English class, just barley.




Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyKnoxville View Post
So, the head of training and the fleet captain finally admit to the high bust rate for initial training. They want to address all the failures by failing more new hires earlier in training to avoid the high failure rate on the FAA type rating.

No discussion about raising the minimum requirements to get hired above the legal minimums. No discussion about a new and improved CBA to attract pilots with experience likely to successfully carry one through training.

Come to Atlas or Southern. If you are not sure if you have what it takes, we will sort it out for you. If you don't have what it takes, we will give you a pink slip you will have for the rest of your career requiring an explanation for all future interviews. Good Luck!
Flyboy88 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #26  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GogglesPisano's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: 73NA
Posts: 3,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy88 View Post
You probably came away from your type like you did your English class, just barley.
Irony award.
GogglesPisano is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #27  
Line Holder
 
Sailfish234's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Position: Atlas 767 Captain
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
Irony award.
ďIt's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubtĒ
Sailfish234 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #28  
Line Holder
 
pony172's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: long haul
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
Irony award.
Nice one!! Funny stuff
pony172 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #29  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: A320 FO
Posts: 196
Default

I left there as an FO a little over a year ago. My seniority at the time could have held 747 CA. I was hired in 2013 as a C-5 IP and my typical classmates were C-5/C-17/KC-10 IPs or former MD-11/747 ACMI guys. When I left in 2018, the typical new hire was a regional FO with 0 TPIC. One of the reasons I left is because the risk to my license was getting too high. I did not want to be put into a position where I was "single pilot" as the SHTF going into Africa or Asia at night in the weather with someone with zero heavy international experience and the bare mins to get an ATP as my FO.
kme9418 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #30  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kme9418 View Post
I left there as an FO a little over a year ago. My seniority at the time could have held 747 CA. I was hired in 2013 as a C-5 IP and my typical classmates were C-5/C-17/KC-10 IPs or former MD-11/747 ACMI guys. When I left in 2018, the typical new hire was a regional FO with 0 TPIC. One of the reasons I left is because the risk to my license was getting too high. I did not want to be put into a position where I was "single pilot" as the SHTF going into Africa or Asia at night in the weather with someone with zero heavy international experience and the bare mins to get an ATP as my FO.
Flying for Atlas is demanding and not for everyone. The difference in pay and QOL between being a senior rj captain making fairly good money and starting over at Atlas just isnít worth it for most. The low time f/o making almost no money looks at Atlas as a big pay raise and heavy jet time to build a resume. The company can either offer a compensation package that would attract and retain qualified pilots, change the training footprint to accommodate those who arenít ready to be there, or just continue washing out those who bit off more than they can chew. Iím betting that they go with the last option.
Itsajob is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATSG / Atlas Southern ACMItrash Cargo 0 04-01-2019 03:49 PM
Atlas, Southern or Kallita guys..... dudewannabe Cargo 36 01-17-2019 06:59 AM
Atlas Purchases Southern Air MD-11Loader Mergers and Acquisitions 1 01-30-2016 08:21 AM
High Failure Rate at Eagle 20% unitedflyers1 Regional 54 03-24-2008 09:14 AM
Atlas / Polar, about to hire ??? WingOffLight Cargo 26 01-12-2007 06:35 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:38 PM.