Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #101  
Tuk er jerbs!
 
NightIP's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B767
Posts: 1,324
Default

TiredSoul:

Managementís goal is to make us weary and pit us against our own union leadership. Itís a well-worn playbook thatís been around for decades, and they still use it because it works.

As a guy who does work ďbehind the scenesĒ within our union, I can say with 100% honesty and integrity that we do win more than we lose, particularly on the grievance front.

But, airline labor in this country is hamstrung by the RLA, and weíre fighting a war of attrition with one hand tied behind our backs. We are, however, represented by a group of individuals who tirelessly grind away at managementís tactics to try to make this a better place. Without them, you and I would have gotten steamrolled 3 years ago.

Donít let managementís playbook wear you down; weíre in the best bargaining position weíve had in years. Keep the faith, brother.
NightIP is offline  
Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #102  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Posts: 54
Default

Would not a strategic approach include a full frontal assault on management both as a group and individually ? After all , they undoubtedly read this , learn from it , use it against you , and ultimately cost each of you $$$. Shouldnít it be time to play hardball ? Nothing illegal - but within the rules - just as they are doing. Just saying.
ROBsINtheHOOD is offline  
Old 07-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #103  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2009
Posts: 582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBsINtheHOOD View Post
Would not a strategic approach include a full frontal assault on management both as a group and individually ? After all , they undoubtedly read this , learn from it , use it against you , and ultimately cost each of you $$$. Shouldnít it be time to play hardball ? Nothing illegal - but within the rules - just as they are doing. Just saying.
Full frontal assault...all I could picture was 1,000,000 people storming Area 51 on September 20th.
JonnyKnoxville is online now  
Old 07-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #104  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: 175 FO
Posts: 3,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyKnoxville View Post
I appreciate the respectful response. We view our leverage in a vastly different light than what I gathered from your post but I understand how our position may not look that way from outside of the company.

We currently have three B-777s parked and two B737-800s parked all due to lack of crew. This is already on a systemwide reduced schedule due to staffing issues. Last month broke the all-time record for the most open time trips issued in a given month and this month looks to be significantly higher than June.

Our no-show rate for new-hire classes is greater than 50% and our failure rate for the new-hires that do show is 30% at Atlas Air and 60% at Southern Air. (No spin here, these are the hard facts)

We literally have nothing to lose here. Our only option by management is an extension of our current CBA (in terms of signing the same language into the next CBA). We find this completely unacceptable and would be hard-pressed to find any pilot that would disagree with us on this once we explained what is really at stake and what is really being offered.

I think it would be a challenge to find anyone, no matter how management friendly, that thinks it is reasonable to sign a CBA to extend our current CBA work rules and pay. A CBA where we make 50-60% less than industry standard with the rest of the industry starting their next negotiation cycle in a positive pattern bargaining environment.

If/when management decides to move with a reasonable mindset, we can get a CBA negotiated in three weeks or less.
No dog in this fight, but just out of curiosity;

If staffing is as tight as you say, why are they turning away candidates with 2500hrs and 1000hrs turbine?

Anyone with under 2500 hours gets sent the "no thanks for Atlas but how about 737 at Southern"-email, and 2500-3500 gets sent a "wish you had more TPIC, how about Southern"-email.

You all are saying Atlas will hire anyone with a pulse, but the fact is - 2500 hours with 1000 hours 121 won't even get you an interview.
dera is offline  
Old 07-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #105  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2009
Posts: 582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
No dog in this fight, but just out of curiosity;

If staffing is as tight as you say, why are they turning away candidates with 2500hrs and 1000hrs turbine?

Anyone with under 2500 hours gets sent the "no thanks for Atlas but how about 737 at Southern"-email, and 2500-3500 gets sent a "wish you had more TPIC, how about Southern"-email.

You all are saying Atlas will hire anyone with a pulse, but the fact is - 2500 hours with 1000 hours 121 won't even get you an interview.
I have no idea. What I can tell you is we have countless cancellations right now due to lack of crew. We are running 85% of our normal summer schedule already because of staffing issues. Three B777s are parked and two B737-800 as well all due to staffing. Right now the entire operation is in bad shape.

I do not know why they would turn you away but be thankful they did.
JonnyKnoxville is online now  
Old 07-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #106  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 38
Default

I have a close friend at Atlas (74 side) and I ask him this question all the time...has anyone been kept out past 17 days? The answer is always no. If the company isn’t using that option, they still have more slack in the system. You will know they are out of options and the pressure will be on for some kind of contract when they are all out of levers they can pull. I hope you guys get a new contract soon, I’m on your side but I think you guys are overestimating how bad things are for the company right now. Last quarter results didn’t show any signs of impact to earnings or revenue. All that to say I think this is going to be a longer process than we would hope for. The company doesn’t seem to be hurt at this point and has more options to keep the freight moving.

Last edited by Lumberg823; 07-15-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Lumberg823 is offline  
Old 07-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #107  
Gets Weekends Off
 
atpcliff's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt
Posts: 2,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberg823 View Post
I have a close friend at Atlas (74 side) and I ask him this question all the time...has anyone been kept out past 17 days? The answer is always no. If the company isnít using that option, they still have more slack in the system. You will know they are out of options and the pressure will be on for some kind of contract when they are all out of levers they can pull. I hope you guys get a new contract soon, Iím on your side but I think you guys are overestimating how bad things are for the company right now. Last quarter results didnít show any signs of impact to earnings or revenue. All that to say I think this is going to be a longer process than we would hope for. The company doesnít seem to be hurt at this point and has more options to keep the freight moving.
Atlas cannot "keep you out past 17 days". Under certain, limited conditions, they can extend you to "protect the operation." For most Atlas pilots, on a typical line, with a typical schedule, they cannot be extended unless they volunteer to work on their days off...
atpcliff is offline  
Old 07-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #108  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: 175 FO
Posts: 3,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyKnoxville View Post
I have no idea. What I can tell you is we have countless cancellations right now due to lack of crew. We are running 85% of our normal summer schedule already because of staffing issues. Three B777s are parked and two B737-800 as well all due to staffing. Right now the entire operation is in bad shape.

I do not know why they would turn you away but be thankful they did.
This was an honest "asking for a friend" -question.
But clearly staffing isn't that critical for the company as of now.
dera is offline  
Old 07-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #109  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
This was an honest "asking for a friend" -question.
But clearly staffing isn't that critical for the company as of now.
I think everyone is assuming there's probably more to your story that maybe you're not even aware of since you're asking for a friend. So no, you cannot say, "clearly staffing isn't that critical" based on your story.
dwight3 is offline  
Old 07-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #110  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: 175 FO
Posts: 3,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight3 View Post
I think everyone is assuming there's probably more to your story that maybe you're not even aware of since you're asking for a friend. So no, you cannot say, "clearly staffing isn't that critical" based on your story.
I've seen his resume. Clean, no black marks, yet not a chance for an interview.
CFI, CFII, MEI, 135 PIC->121 FO->121PIC.
dera is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Atlas Files Lawsuit Against Their Own Pilots Screwed Cargo 38 02-26-2017 01:37 PM
Do not apply at atlas ! Screwed Cargo 7 02-08-2017 11:40 AM
Interview with ATLAS coming up, favor? Metering Cargo 12 02-26-2016 01:29 PM
Atlas Shrugged jungle Money Talk 48 12-28-2009 12:11 PM
Atlas Air Press Release GIANT PILOT Cargo 33 06-13-2008 06:22 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:36 AM.