Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2019, 04:15 AM   #11  
Gets Weekends Off
 
cr700's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2016
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo665 View Post
Omni, but from speaking with friends at K4, ATI and oddly enough even Atlas, your depiction based solely upon the ABX experience isnít exactly a fair depiction of the industry. Lots of great improvements have been happening. Guys are refusing to settle for scraps. The tide is turning.
Itís a great time to be an Envoy pilot
Fixed it for you.
cr700 is offline  
Old 07-17-2019, 04:56 AM   #12  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Riverside's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr700 View Post
Fixed it for you.
And yet, you guys can't get a pay increase.
Riverside is offline  
Old 07-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
MoarAlpha's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: B744 FO
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Land 3 View Post
My 16.5 days on the road I would never trade away because I love having all of my days off in a consecutive row, and the stress of commuting is for the birds. I have no interest in going to the pax world ever again if it means I have to commute home every three to four days, rinse and repeat. Every time I am in an airline terminal in uniform, I feel like a tool, basically living at the airport. Nothing beats going through security at a freight hub, super quick and easy. Oh, a flight cancels? I now have to find a hotel room? Nope, that's already taken care for me. The only money I spend on the road is for my own desires, not needs.
I completely agree. I just finished my first full trip and had 3 weeks off after. I'm doubling down to do 30 on and have 30 off this trip. I understand everyone has different schedules, but with my wife's ability to work when I'm gone and be off when I'm home it's great!

Ok, maybe 3 weeks home together was almost too much. I was ready to go back to work and stop doing chores.
MoarAlpha is offline  
Old 07-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #14  
Gets Weekends Off
 
nitefr8dog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Land 3 View Post
My 16.5 days on the road I would never trade away because I love having all of my days off in a consecutive row, and the stress of commuting is for the birds. I have no interest in going to the pax world ever again if it means I have to commute home every three to four days, rinse and repeat. Every time I am in an airline terminal in uniform, I feel like a tool, basically living at the airport. Nothing beats going through security at a freight hub, super quick and easy. Oh, a flight cancels? I now have to find a hotel room? Nope, that's already taken care for me. The only money I spend on the road is for my own desires, not needs.
Cancelled flights while airlining into position happen from time to time at ABX also...mostly because of an ridiculous connection time between flights. And yes the company buys a hotel....I am not really sure what other option they would have if they what to get someone into position. Pretty sure if the company did not the crewmember would be headed home and they would be looking for a new pilot. Maybe I am missing something....
nitefr8dog is online now  
Old 07-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #15  
Gets Weekends Off
 
goinaround's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitefr8dog View Post
Cancelled flights while airlining into position happen from time to time at ABX also...mostly because of an ridiculous connection time between flights. And yes the company buys a hotel....I am not really sure what other option they would have if they what to get someone into position. Pretty sure if the company did not the crewmember would be headed home and they would be looking for a new pilot. Maybe I am missing something....
I went to K4 from ABX. You paint a strange picture from what I experienced. I never had any dead head airline trips into position to start work. I was always sweating the two leg RJ jump seat to get to CVG. If you happen to live in a city that is serviced by DHL hub service...I suppose it's fine. I live out in the boonies....and for me the difference with home basing now is night and day better. AND....the company is contractually bound to get me home on my last day. No JRM. This month...I'm going home a day early with a 1 in 7 on my schedule for the last day....which I will enjoy at home.
goinaround is offline  
Old 07-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
nitefr8dog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinaround View Post
I went to K4 from ABX. You paint a strange picture from what I experienced. I never had any dead head airline trips into position to start work. I was always sweating the two leg RJ jump seat to get to CVG. If you happen to live in a city that is serviced by DHL hub service...I suppose it's fine. I live out in the boonies....and for me the difference with home basing now is night and day better. AND....the company is contractually bound to get me home on my last day. No JRM. This month...I'm going home a day early with a 1 in 7 on my schedule for the last day....which I will enjoy at home.
Was that pre Amazon? You never see some of our pilots anymore with all the commercials...it also probably depends on where you are on the seniority list and what trips you can hold. In the last 20+ yrs I have maybe jumpseated to/from work on a passenger carrier 6-8 times. Usually it's because I went to visit my Daughter on my days off and could not ride in on our system. I have been a two hour drive from a system jumpseat the whole time with missed trip protection. If for some reason I get bumped, weight, mechanical etc..I go home.Ymmv. I think it's funny sometimes when an off line carrier pilot with home basing decides instead of going to the hotel at 3 am then getting up and going to the terminal to catch his flight home starts riding on us or another system carrier because he can be on his way 2 hrs after block in and get home 10 hrs early going to the same destination...had to give up something to get the homebasing...crazy. As far as JRM...nobody does them unless they want to...I don't.
nitefr8dog is online now  
Old 07-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
goinaround's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitefr8dog View Post
Was that pre Amazon? You never see some of our pilots anymore with all the commercials...it also probably depends on where you are on the seniority list and what trips you can hold. In the last 20+ yrs I have maybe jumpseated to/from work on a passenger carrier 6-8 times. Usually it's because I went to visit my Daughter on my days off and could not ride in on our system. I have been a two hour drive from a system jumpseat the whole time with missed trip protection. If for some reason I get bumped, weight, mechanical etc..I go home.Ymmv. I think it's funny sometimes when an off line carrier pilot with home basing decides instead of going to the hotel at 3 am then getting up and going to the terminal to catch his flight home starts riding on us or another system carrier because he can be on his way 2 hrs after block in and get home 10 hrs early going to the same destination...had to give up something to get the homebasing...crazy. As far as JRM...nobody does them unless they want to...I don't.
JRM.....so when you call in to screw scheduling on your last leg in on day 17 and they JRM or advance JRM you...you can say "no thanks"? That's not how it works at Abex.

Also...you say YMMV. Why yes....with 28 years of seniority and living in a DHL out base...things are significantly different. What I'm saying is that for the guy that wants to live on a lake in BFE....you're situation does not apply. Hence.....YMMV. I work less here and make way more than I ever did at ABX in two years......post Amazon. You "legacy Airborne" guys still think you're top of the heap. Not so much though.....
goinaround is offline  
Old 07-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
goinaround's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinaround View Post
JRM.....so when you call in to screw scheduling on your last leg in on day 17 and they JRM or advance JRM you...you can say "no thanks"? That's not how it works at Abex.

Also...you say YMMV. Why yes....with 28 years of seniority and living in a DHL out base...things are significantly different. What I'm saying is that for the guy that wants to live on a lake in BFE....you're situation does not apply. Hence.....YMMV. I work less here and make way more than I ever did at ABX in two years......post Amazon. You "legacy Airborne" guys still think you're top of the heap. Not so much though.....
Ahhh shoot....you know..I sounded a bit snarky in that last post. I'll just say...you Airborne guys had one of the best jobs in aviation when the times were good (they were for a long time). And the guys I flew with were all great. Adapting to the new ACMI reality is a hard pill to swallow...I realize that. All the best in the future.......
goinaround is offline  
Old 07-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #19  
Gets Weekends Off
 
jonnyjetprop's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,346
Default

Ex World guy here. The ACMI lifestyle is either something you love or hate. Thereís not a lot of middle ground. Additionally, itís your spouse or significant other that will determine if the lifestyle works for you.
jonnyjetprop is offline  
Old 07-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #20  
Gets Weekends Off
 
nitefr8dog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinaround View Post
Ahhh shoot....you know..I sounded a bit snarky in that last post. I'll just say...you Airborne guys had one of the best jobs in aviation when the times were good (they were for a long time). And the guys I flew with were all great. Adapting to the new ACMI reality is a hard pill to swallow...I realize that. All the best in the future.......
I thought when I said position on the seniority list can play a factor...Anyway quite a bit more commercial trips than before....and saying that I think most companies see a benefit in getting a crewmember to work if a flt cancels while commuting for a company assignment.
nitefr8dog is online now  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Latest and Greatest" about jetBlue Crash Major 3437 01-30-2013 06:51 PM
A question for CAL guys tsquare United 2 03-02-2012 08:08 AM
Question for PDT guys DirectTo Technical 3 09-20-2011 12:19 PM
Question for AA guys DANCRJ Major 15 05-30-2008 11:49 AM
Question for all you night guys... bertramcheeks22 Cargo 33 09-03-2007 06:05 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:10 AM.