Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Fr8doggie's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Junior
Posts: 277
Default FDX - Getting out of hotel stby early?

I am hoping to get on a flight 30 minutes before the hotel stby period ends on the last day. Has anyone had experience getting released early? If so who would I ask about that? Scheduling said it's up to GOC since they don't track the flights I would be covering.
Fr8doggie is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Jetjok's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired
Posts: 3,589
Default

I've tried a few times and all of them have been unsuccessful. The Newark hotel standby would end about 6 A.M., and without a usable jet on the ground, they still never released us early. But I guess it depends on how nice you come across and how much on top of things GOC is at the time. Good Luck. But are you trying to "game" the system? Better watch out for AA as he hates that.
Jetjok is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #3  
EGGMAN
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I asked about 4 years ago and she said it was the first time she had ever heard of such a thing and ah.....no.
 
Old 01-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hamfisted's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2006
Posts: 356
Default

I had it in Indy last year. Same situation..asked to be released FIFTEEN minutes early to board a flight. Nein, nichts, nada, zilch, pound sand. Guy acted like I was asking to date his wife.
hamfisted is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
AFW_MD11's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: MD11 FO, ANC
Posts: 1,098
Default

I got released about an hour early in Dec from hotel standby.

I had called the scheduler asking for a 4-hour early release and he said the same thing as above - "that's up to GOC, not me"

he went on to say they usually don't even think about letting you go until inside an hour to go - told me to call back at the 1-hour to go point.

I called him back at 1-hour left, he called GOC, and they released me.
AFW_MD11 is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Fr8doggie's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Junior
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFW_MD11 View Post
I got released about an hour early in Dec from hotel standby.

I had called the scheduler asking for a 4-hour early release and he said the same thing as above - "that's up to GOC, not me"

he went on to say they usually don't even think about letting you go until inside an hour to go - told me to call back at the 1-hour to go point.

I called him back at 1-hour left, he called GOC, and they released me.
Well then there is hope. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

FD
Fr8doggie is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Deuce130's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 777 FO
Posts: 614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
I've tried a few times and all of them have been unsuccessful. The Newark hotel standby would end about 6 A.M., and without a usable jet on the ground, they still never released us early. But I guess it depends on how nice you come across and how much on top of things GOC is at the time. Good Luck. But are you trying to "game" the system? Better watch out for AA as he hates that.
What's with all the pessimism and vitriol? Sounds like you need a lecture from a grandfatherly figure on how to act on message boards.


Oh, sorry, forgot the
Deuce130 is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Jetjok's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired
Posts: 3,589
Default

It's not pessimism, it was the reality of asking to get off early. The other method that's been used by some, who shall remain nameless, is to just go. They probably won't call, and if they do, you can blame it on an old guy anyway.
Jetjok is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #9  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: MD-11
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8doggie View Post
I am hoping to get on a flight 30 minutes before the hotel stby period ends on the last day. Has anyone had experience getting released early? If so who would I ask about that? Scheduling said it's up to GOC since they don't track the flights I would be covering.
This is what I have done:
Made sure the company had my cell phone #
Packed and left hotel to get on a flight home
Hotel standby expires prior to getting on the flight.
Should you get a call prior to boarding, simply leave the pax terminal and take a cab to Fedex Ops. (no checked baggage)
Turbo is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Purple F/O's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: MD-11 F/O
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
to get off early.
Early? At your age you should feel lucky to get off at all.
Purple F/O is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unhappy with FDX ALPA/ALPA NAtional.....what to do? hamfisted Cargo 52 06-22-2008 10:19 PM
What's the best way to get a job w/ FDX? Laxrox43 Cargo 77 06-05-2008 09:28 AM
New FDX CDG Layover hotel (Meridien) question MD11HOG Cargo 3 08-05-2007 01:30 PM
FDX Stocks and FDX Pilots angry tanker Cargo 20 07-10-2007 04:31 AM
FDX hotel discounts? Fr8 Pup Cargo 9 07-09-2007 06:24 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:02 AM.