Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Cargo
not taking résumés, not hiring: why UPS @ job fair? >

not taking résumés, not hiring: why UPS @ job fair?

Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

not taking résumés, not hiring: why UPS @ job fair?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 PM
  #71  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Jet Pilot
Posts: 792
Default

Originally Posted by Dog Breath View Post
Is it me or are you trying to stir up trouble? Some of your recent posts indicate to me that it's the latter.
Honestly, I don't believe that he is trying to stir up trouble. With all of the growth in the international arena and with the rumor of only hiring 50 people this year, the competition is going to be stiff. It would only make sense that the most competitive candidates would and should come from an international heavy-jet background.

I have perused the regional board, and no offense to commuter pilots, but based on the vast majority of the posts that I read there is a serious lack of maturity among many of the pilots. The impression they give is that they are nothing but high-school punks who think that they are just "way to cool" because they are flying the RJ.
Lab Rat is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
  #72  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Tigerpilot1995's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SDF A300 FO
Posts: 441
Default

I am fully aware of the pay scale. I also don't think in a million years I would be displaced to the panel. I am just saying I don't want to be ANC based that badly.

Originally Posted by FrontSeat View Post
It's a big pay cut....f/e earns way less and you have state taxes to pay...it is warmer though
Tigerpilot1995 is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 02:07 PM
  #73  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SaltyDog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal
Posts: 1,627
Default

Originally Posted by Lab Rat View Post
Honestly, I don't believe that he is trying to stir up trouble. With all of the growth in the international arena and with the rumor of only hiring 50 people this year, the competition is going to be stiff. It would only make sense that the most competitive candidates would and should come from an international heavy-jet background.

I have perused the regional board, and no offense to commuter pilots, but based on the vast majority of the posts that I read there is a serious lack of maturity among many of the pilots. The impression they give is that they are nothing but high-school punks who think that they are just "way to cool" because they are flying the RJ.
I think FBC likes the anonymous pot stir, jabs and runs. May have kernel of a point, but that doesn't validate an idea. I have met (and trained) many mature regional pilots who are now very successfully flying intl at UPS. If they come from an Intl carrier prior to UPS/Fedex, many were regional background anyway. Means they were trainable and teachable with good, mature personalities, etc. Have confidence in Fedex and UPS HR depts. to be able to determine same capablity. UPS was in unique situation in 2007. Satrted a domicile in ANC. Had all that flying been out of the SDF domicile, All the new hires would be domestic. UPS would have hired a bunch more regional folks. So the idea is a bit more oriented to teachability rather than one specific type of background.
SaltyDog is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 02:25 PM
  #74  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Rocco's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Posts: 425
Default

FBC..the Moderators are on to you.....

FS....Shouldn't you be studying??

FWIW.......I did hear there will be a Realignment/Displacement bid in March though...I wish someone would put it in writing.
Rocco is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 02:26 PM
  #75  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Tigerpilot1995's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SDF A300 FO
Posts: 441
Default

Originally Posted by FlyByCable View Post
Why would you want UPS to hire regional pilots? All our growth is going to be international and a newhire engineer will eventually be flying internationally. I'd rather have someone with experience in international ops vs. some regional pilot who hasn't flown anything bigger than a rj.
I think you should pound sand up where the sun don't shine.

Do you know where some of these "regional" pilots are flying to these days? Look up any hilljack city in Mexico and tell yourself that some poor bastard "regional" captain in flying in there tonight after a 12 plus hour duty day. The guy in the right seat probably doesn't have 1000 hours, you are doing a vor dme arc, there is severe mountainous terrain around, and the controllers will grant you any wish.

Are these guys not qualified to learn how to do a "crossing"?
Tigerpilot1995 is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 02:36 PM
  #76  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan
Posts: 3,227
Default

Originally Posted by Tigerpilot1995 View Post
Are these guys not qualified to learn how to do a "crossing"?
Position reports are tough, man. While it's been a learning experience and I have by no means mastered the international realm, the hardest part is the timing on how to not over cook my top sirloin.
Slice is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM
  #77  
Banned
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Posts: 512
Default

Hang tough Slice, you will get the hang of cooking in that little oven sooner or later!
bifff15 is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
  #78  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Tigerpilot1995's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SDF A300 FO
Posts: 441
Default

Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Position reports are tough, man. While it's been a learning experience and I have by no means mastered the international realm, the hardest part is the timing on how to not over cook my top sirloin.
Just don't do what my engineer did a few weeks ago. He put his food, while still in the styrofoam container, in the oven. I had tears rolling down my face from laughing so hard. He scraped off the white goo and ate the food!
Tigerpilot1995 is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM
  #79  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Rocco's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Posts: 425
Default

Originally Posted by FrontSeat View Post
So how happy will you be when we go to the 8 panel this fall?
Happiness is a state of mind....not defined by what you do...

Besides I've got my side job flying G-IV's.....

I am sure I could figure the panel out.....though all those levers scare me!!!
Rocco is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 PM
  #80  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SaltyDog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal
Posts: 1,627
Default

Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
Happiness is a state of mind....not defined by what you do...

Besides I've got my side job flying G-IV's.....

I am sure I could figure the panel out.....though all those levers scare me!!!
Rocco,
Don 't worry, I'll tell you which ones we need to move
SaltyDog is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
FNG1
Flight Schools and Training
12
12-08-2007 06:35 AM
pilot_man
Regional
2
11-02-2007 01:24 PM
FlyingDog
Hiring News
4
10-18-2007 08:54 AM
captscott26
Major
10
08-31-2007 08:52 PM
Sir James
Hiring News
9
05-19-2006 03:46 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread