Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Charlie Murphy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Posts: 126
Default UPS System Bid 08-101

Should read System Bid 08-101

20 74y Cpt Anc
31 74y F/o Anc
13 Md11 F/o Sdf
-7 747 F/o Sdf
-17 747 S/o Sdf
-3 757 Cpt Sdfz
-8 Md11 Cpt Sdf
-3 757 Cpt Ont
-6 747 Cpt Sdf

Last edited by Charlie Murphy; 02-26-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Charlie Murphy is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #2  
Tri-tanic operator
 
CactusCrew's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Doggie
Posts: 2,382
Default

Good numbers Charlie ... Thanks ...

Systemwide numbers:

64 vacancies (20 74Y Capt, 31 74Y FO, 13 MD11 FO)
44 displacements (eventually all fleets most likely)



Let the System Bid Games begin !





Last edited by CactusCrew; 02-26-2008 at 07:17 AM. Reason: dyslexia with numbers
CactusCrew is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Nashmd11's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: CA 767
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusCrew View Post
Good numbers Charlie ... Thanks ...

Systemwide numbers:

64 vacancies (31 74Y Capt, 20 74Y FO, 13 MD11 FO)
44 displacements (eventually all fleets most likely)



Let the System Bid Games begin !




It's 20 74Y Capt. and 31 74Y FO's- I like your version better.
Nashmd11 is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #4  
Tri-tanic operator
 
CactusCrew's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Doggie
Posts: 2,382
Default Duh ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashmd11 View Post
It's 20 74Y Capt. and 31 74Y FO's- I like your version better.

You do know 5 out of 4 pilots suffer from dyslexia ...

CactusCrew is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
IPAMD11FO's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: MD11 FO
Posts: 166
Default

It's actually worse than it looks. 20 Capt 74Y vacancies and 45 Capt displacements on the other fleets = net loss of 25 Capt positions system wide.

Then factor in the 17 747 FE's who definitely will get another shot up front, not to mention the DC-8 FE's who can hold 74Y Capt.

Bottom line - you can figure a minimum of 45 current Capts losing their seat, potentially more. The ripple effect is going to be enormous.

If you're junior, I hope you have a very understanding spouse. Gonna be ugly around here for a very long time!

Last edited by IPAMD11FO; 02-26-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typo
IPAMD11FO is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
v2plus25's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: MD 11 FO
Posts: 191
Default

What are they trying to say about the engineers? I can't seem to figure that one out. Are they going to let the 63-65 747 engineers bypass bid, but not the -8 guys? And they're only going to let the -8 engineers upgrade at the company's discretion?

All I can say is.... no one come to the bus! The schedules are crappy and the plane is really really screwy. And don't forget the tail could fall off at any moment!
v2plus25 is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
brownwhalerider's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: MD 11 FO
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAMD11FO View Post
It's actually worse than it looks. 20 Capt 74Y vacancies and 45 Capt displacements on the other fleets = net loss of 25 Capt positions system wide.

Then factor in the 17 747 FE's who definitely will get another shot up front, not to mention the DC-8 FE's who can hold 74Y Capt.

Bottom line - you can figure a minimum of 45 current Capts losing their seat, potentially more. The ripple effect is going to be enormous.

If you're junior, I hope you have a very understanding spouse. Gonna be ugly around here for a very long time!
I think you a partially right. However, it looks like a loss of 20 current captains and a gain of 20 74y captains. So that part is a wash, but you a correct as to the 17 engineers or DC8 engineers that will bid the vacancies. The other uh oh, is if all the 747 FEs wait to get displaced, and let the realignment close and the displacement open. So then they could displace to wherever their seniority could hold. So ultimately you could see some initial captain upgrades just to be yanked.
brownwhalerider is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
UPSFO4LIFE's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DC-8 756/767
Posts: 1,021
Default

What they are saying is that if you are an 8 s/o you better bid for the open ANC slots now, or you may never make it back up front. They may be parking some eight's but they are not displacing off of it. So, get your capt. slots now old timers on the eight, because it may be a while before any vacancies come available.

I may add that nobody knows what is going to happen in a displacement. Too many variables to look at to guess what is going to happen. All I can say is that UPS has just made life and quality of life more difficult for I would guess 2/3 of the pilots. The next few years around here are not going to fun.
UPSFO4LIFE is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #9  
Tri-tanic operator
 
CactusCrew's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Doggie
Posts: 2,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSFO4LIFE View Post
What they are saying is that if you are an 8 s/o you better bid for the open ANC slots now, or you may never make it back up front. They may be parking some eight's but they are not displacing off of it. So, get your capt. slots now old timers on the eight, because it may be a while before any vacancies come available.

I may add that nobody knows what is going to happen in a displacement. Too many variables to look at to guess what is going to happen. All I can say is that UPS has just made life and quality of life more difficult for I would guess 2/3 of the pilots. The next few years around here are not going to fun.
In other words ... bid the ANC vacancies or die on the panel. At least this year, and that's all that you need to know ...

Only 2/3 's unhappy ... ? Who's the 1/3 that will be happy when it is over ?
CactusCrew is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
IPAMD11FO's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: MD11 FO
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownwhalerider View Post
I think you a partially right. However, it looks like a loss of 20 current captains and a gain of 20 74y captains. So that part is a wash,
In the big picture, it's far from a wash. Contractually, during a realignment bid the number of new vacancies must equal the number of positions being realigned. I think this is what you're looking at. However, if you look at the displacement bid, it shows net loss of 45 Capts in the lower 48. So gain of 20 and loss of 45 = -25 system wide.

This is the not the only number we should be worried about, as I described above.
IPAMD11FO is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Deal with Teamsters Cujo Cargo 4 10-01-2007 11:08 PM
Continental Equipment System Bid Seniority and DOH CAL EWR Major 35 08-05-2007 08:31 PM
UPS System Bid Freighter Captain Cargo 17 08-20-2005 08:01 PM
UPS counters IPA Freighter Captain Cargo 0 07-11-2005 09:59 AM
UPS-IPA contract talks Freighter Captain Cargo 0 07-05-2005 10:50 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:58 PM.