Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #171
New Hire
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Position: B737NG/BBJ, G550
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former AA Pilot View Post
I took an early retirement from AA at age 52 with my full pension in tact. I've applied to several companies but sort of stumbled upon WGA. Early this week, I had my initial SKYPE interview with HR, Chief Pilot and B747 Fleet Manager. It was an awesome, friendly but professional experience. At the end of the Skype, the HR rep looked at the other two guys and invited me to Miami this week for a sim eval, written test and in person technical interview.

Training was stated as $100 a day and then move to FO pay of $362 per day with a 17 day guarantee. All travel and hotel is paid for training and for the in person interview.

I was told they have around 70 pilots and intend to slightly more than double that number to 150-160. They operate 13 MD-11's and 2 747-400 freighters. Upgrade time can be anywhere from 3 months to 1 year depending on need and experience but DOES require a recommendation from a Check Airman.

I'm sharing this information so as to help anyone else interested in working for this company.

I would greatly appreciate any additional info about ANY and ALL aspects of being a pilot for WGA.

Thanks everyone and fly safely.
Thanks for posting. Interesting place for sure....I'm not sure but I think they are in the process of obtaining 13 MD11's. Any WGA drivers to clarify?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #172
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: CA
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Thanks for posting. Interesting place for sure....I'm not sure but I think they are in the process of obtaining 13 MD11's. Any WGA drivers to clarify?
For the MD, There are 11 on the cert. another owned up in OSC that will come online eventually.

Also, theres a little over 70 MD pilots on list. Not sure how many 74 guys there are.
flyinggolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #173
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver130 View Post
I want to know how they operate 15 aircraft with 70 pilots...... even if you take a middle of the 7 pilots per seat and figuring they fly three man crews.... thats 21 pilots per aircraft.... meaning they have enough for 3 planes.... I just don't get it... hum.
They don't operate 15 aircraft, they have 15 aircraft. I always see 4-5 of their planes parked at RSW, probably more elsewhere. According to FlightRadar24 they have no planes in the air at this moment. Sounds like they have a lot of trolls posting here.
orka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:01 AM   #174
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2014
Posts: 48
Default

Company I work for operates 2 747's with 11 pilots. It involves quite a bit of commercialling but is possible. At any given time there is at least one captain and 1 f/o on days off. Occasionally guys will break the 70 hr guarantee, once in a blue moon does one hit 100 hrs in 28 days.

@Cliffatp: difference with Atlas is that at Atlas you need to travel to your base before start of your days-on to sit reserve, for which you also get imputed tax income. First year at WGA should be a big improvement over Atlas if you cannot get based in the city where you live: travel on on-days, no imputed tax, if you are not needed, you stay home longer. Training pay is a lot higher, first year pay is a lot higher.
overcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:49 AM   #175
Gets Weekends Off
 
atpcliff's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt
Posts: 2,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcast View Post
Company I work for operates 2 747's with 11 pilots. It involves quite a bit of commercialling but is possible. At any given time there is at least one captain and 1 f/o on days off. Occasionally guys will break the 70 hr guarantee, once in a blue moon does one hit 100 hrs in 28 days.

@Cliffatp: difference with Atlas is that at Atlas you need to travel to your base before start of your days-on to sit reserve, for which you also get imputed tax income. First year at WGA should be a big improvement over Atlas if you cannot get based in the city where you live: travel on on-days, no imputed tax, if you are not needed, you stay home longer. Training pay is a lot higher, first year pay is a lot higher.
First year compensation at Atlas is woefully inadequate.
atpcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #176
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: CA
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcast View Post

@Cliffatp: difference with Atlas is that at Atlas you need to travel to your base before start of your days-on to sit reserve, for which you also get imputed tax income. First year at WGA should be a big improvement over Atlas if you cannot get based in the city where you live: travel on on-days, no imputed tax, if you are not needed, you stay home longer. Training pay is a lot higher, first year pay is a lot higher.
Atlas doesn't pass WGA on FO rates until year 6 with new pay rates, At min guarantee, and its easy to go above min at WGA. And of course before imputed tax they do.
flyinggolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #177
Gets three weeks off.
 
aviatorhi's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Window Seat
Posts: 1,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver130 View Post
I want to know how they operate 15 aircraft with 70 pilots...... even if you take a middle of the 7 pilots per seat and figuring they fly three man crews.... thats 21 pilots per aircraft.... meaning they have enough for 3 planes.... I just don't get it... hum.
I don't know a lot about WGA, but I know that you don't need 7 guys sitting on top of each other to fly an airplane.

I do find this airline rather intriguing, but hard to get concise information on the place.
aviatorhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #178
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcast View Post
difference with Atlas is that at Atlas you need to travel to your base before start of your days-on to sit reserve, for which you also get imputed tax income. First year at WGA should be a big improvement over Atlas if you cannot get based in the city where you live: travel on on-days, no imputed tax, if you are not needed, you stay home longer. Training pay is a lot higher, first year pay is a lot higher.
I haven't had to travel on a off day in over a year and I have been imputed for one night in a hotel and one airline flight my whole time at Atlas.
be76flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #179
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 744 CA
Posts: 4,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post
I don't know a lot about WGA, but I know that you don't need 7 guys sitting on top of each other to fly an airplane.

I do find this airline rather intriguing, but hard to get concise information on the place.
Most airlines staff at about 5-7 pilots PER SEAT ....factor in training... vacations... days off.... if like some one else said... they flew 2 747s with 11 pilots..... its a shoestring operation at best. It severely limits home much you can fly a plane..... when a plane is sitting its not making money.
HercDriver130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #180
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Posts: 13
Default Western Global Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former AA Pilot View Post
I took an early retirement from AA at age 52 with my full pension in tact. I've applied to several companies but sort of stumbled upon WGA. Early this week, I had my initial SKYPE interview with HR, Chief Pilot and B747 Fleet Manager. It was an awesome, friendly but professional experience. At the end of the Skype, the HR rep looked at the other two guys and invited me to Miami this week for a sim eval, written test and in person technical interview.

Training was stated as $100 a day and then move to FO pay of $362 per day with a 17 day guarantee. All travel and hotel is paid for training and for the in person interview.

I was told they have around 70 pilots and intend to slightly more than double that number to 150-160. They operate 13 MD-11's and 2 747-400 freighters. Upgrade time can be anywhere from 3 months to 1 year depending on need and experience but DOES require a recommendation from a Check Airman.

I'm sharing this information so as to help anyone else interested in working for this company.

I would greatly appreciate any additional info about ANY and ALL aspects of being a pilot for WGA.

Thanks everyone and fly safely.
Thx for the info Former AA Pilot.. I have heard similar reviews about the interview process.. Very professional and friendly.. I would love to hear about your next step experience...

Have you heard anything about MD11 upgrade time?? I heard they were limited on eligible upgrade candidates and may have to hire Captains from the street..
CargoJockey380 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Western Airways captainmark266 Charter 1 07-14-2014 08:59 PM
SkyWest to fly for U.S. Airways Drums4life Regional 107 08-16-2011 11:21 PM
Republic/Chautauqua New Deal With US Airways for E-170 and E-190 Frisky Pilot Regional 15 10-01-2009 05:27 PM
Piecing together the US Airways Puzzle RockBottom Major 0 03-07-2005 11:04 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:13 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.3, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2017 Internet Brands, Inc.