Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Charter Part 121 pax charter airlines
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #751
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMpilot View Post
Does anyone have a good HR contact at Sun Country? I've had my app in for a while and haven't heard anything back.

6000TT, over 2500 in the NG, with 700 being PIC.

If you are not a former Mesaba or compass or know someone at SCA who worked there you probably won't hear anything .
If you show up for an interview and you happen to be of a visible minority chances are that you won't make it through the interview process .

SCA new hires fit a very specific mold

Age : early to mid 30s
Education : a degree from one of the aviation colleges in Minnesota
Flew as a captain for one of the regionals above
White of Scandinavian origins ( you can count the ones that are not on the fingers of one amputated hand , if you are 100% an African American and you get hired you'll be the first one - use it if you are or call the EEOC )

CP 651 681 3984

HR 651 681 3900
Demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #752
Gets Weekends Off
 
beech1980's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: B-737
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoman View Post
If you are not a former Mesaba or compass or know someone at SCA who worked there you probably won't hear anything .
If you show up for an interview and you happen to be of a visible minority chances are that you won't make it through the interview process .

SCA new hires fit a very specific mold

Age : early to mid 30s
Education : a degree from one of the aviation colleges in Minnesota
Flew as a captain for one of the regionals above
White of Scandinavian origins ( you can count the ones that are not on the fingers of one amputated hand , if you are 100% an African American and you get hired you'll be the first one - use it if you are or call the EEOC )

CP 651 681 3984

HR 651 681 3900
Wow. Not true but if that's the way you see it... I've seen new hires from early 20's into early 50's. All sorts of backgrounds, military, regional, corporate, fractional. To be honest some that shouldn't be handed a sharp knife and some that are way over qualified to be here... They are hiring a ton of commuters from all over the country and the local ones, I've flown with plenty of guys with non aviation related degrees as well. Yes there are more Caucasians due to the demographics make up of Minnesota. You need to take a deep breath and pull your head out of your arse!
beech1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #753
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoman View Post
If you are not a former Mesaba or compass or know someone at SCA who worked there you probably won't hear anything .
If you show up for an interview and you happen to be of a visible minority chances are that you won't make it through the interview process .

SCA new hires fit a very specific mold

Age : early to mid 30s
Education : a degree from one of the aviation colleges in Minnesota
Flew as a captain for one of the regionals above
White of Scandinavian origins ( you can count the ones that are not on the fingers of one amputated hand , if you are 100% an African American and you get hired you'll be the first one - use it if you are or call the EEOC )

CP 651 681 3984

HR 651 681 3900
It's funny... I remember seeing a photo of SCA pilots not too long ago that made it look like most SCA pilots are women and people of color. You're outing yourself as an idiot, Demoman.
sidelinesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #754
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoman View Post
If you are not a former Mesaba or compass or know someone at SCA who worked there you probably won't hear anything .
If you show up for an interview and you happen to be of a visible minority chances are that you won't make it through the interview process .

SCA new hires fit a very specific mold

Age : early to mid 30s
Education : a degree from one of the aviation colleges in Minnesota
Flew as a captain for one of the regionals above
White of Scandinavian origins ( you can count the ones that are not on the fingers of one amputated hand , if you are 100% an African American and you get hired you'll be the first one - use it if you are or call the EEOC )

CP 651 681 3984

HR 651 681 3900
Snowflake.
RezRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #755
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidelinesam View Post
It's funny... I remember seeing a photo of SCA pilots not too long ago that made it look like most SCA pilots are women and people of color. You're outing yourself as an idiot, Demoman.

These are pretty much all of them...who is the idiot now ?
Demographics ?
Demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #756
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech1980 View Post
Wow. Not true but if that's the way you see it... I've seen new hires from early 20's into early 50's. All sorts of backgrounds, military, regional, corporate, fractional. To be honest some that shouldn't be handed a sharp knife and some that are way over qualified to be here... They are hiring a ton of commuters from all over the country and the local ones, I've flown with plenty of guys with non aviation related degrees as well. Yes there are more Caucasians due to the demographics make up of Minnesota. You need to take a deep breath and pull your head out of your arse!
Very true for RECENT NEW HIRES , in the past it was different but than management was too...
more Caucasians ? one (half ) African American of aprox 300 pilots , demographics ? how about pure racism ?
Demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #757
Gets Weekends Off
 
beech1980's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: B-737
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoman View Post
Very true for RECENT NEW HIRES , in the past it was different but than management was too...
more Caucasians ? one (half ) African American of aprox 300 pilots , demographics ? how about pure racism ?
Well we had probably our first gay pilot but of course he got picked up by a legacy. I wouldn't say racism or sexism. Until about 2-3 years ago you couldn't get hired unless a current pilot walked in your resume. Things have clearly changed since then. I think we are all hoping for a massive change in management with Jude. A breathe of fresh air after years of incompetence and no foresight on how to run an airline. For an airline to be around for 34 years and be at 23 planes is insane.
beech1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #758
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech1980 View Post
Well we had probably our first gay pilot but of course he got picked up by a legacy. I wouldn't say racism or sexism. Until about 2-3 years ago you couldn't get hired unless a current pilot walked in your resume. Things have clearly changed since then. I think we are all hoping for a massive change in management with Jude. A breathe of fresh air after years of incompetence and no foresight on how to run an airline. For an airline to be around for 34 years and be at 23 planes is insane.
Amen to that ! I think these days you won't find any new hire who wasn't recommended from within .
As far as gay pilots , we still have our CP T.L. ( doesn't get much gayer than that , no offence to the rest in the LBGT community )
Demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #759
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 21
Default Will new CEO transform Sun Country?

Is This Tiny Airline About to Challenge Delta Air Lines?


For the first time in several years, Sun Country Airlines has a CEO with lots of experience in the airline industry. Some big strategic changes could be coming soon.

Adam Levine-Weinberg
(TMF Gem Hunter)
Jul 16, 2017 at 8:15AM

For most of its 35-year history, Sun Country Airlines has been a perennial also-ran in the airline industry. It's hard to survive as a smaller airline in the U.S., and Sun Country has been further hampered by periodic mismanagement.

However, Sun Country may finally be serious about improving its competitiveness. Last week, the company hired longtime Allegiant Travel (NASDAQ:ALGT) executive Jude Bricker as its new CEO.

Bricker's appointment will likely usher in a new strategy at Sun Country Airlines. This could give it a better shot at competing with market leader Delta Air Lines (NYSEAL) in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Sun Country's main base of operations.

Weak profitability has been a constant.

Sun Country Airlines was lucky to survive the Great Recession. The combination of record oil prices and plunging demand caused several airlines to go bust in 2008. Moreover, Sun Country found itself in the midst of a scandal that year, as its chairman and CEO was arrested on fraud charges. The company was only able to survive by filing for bankruptcy and forcing employees to take a massive temporary pay cut.

Sun Country eventually emerged from bankruptcy in 2011. However, it hasn't joined in the recent airline industry renaissance -- and profitability has been sinking recently.

Sun Country Airlines is barely profitable right now. Image Source: Sun Country Airlines.

[U]During the 12 months ending in March 2017, Sun Country Airlines posted a meager operating profit of $3 million, putting its operating margin well below 1%.[/U] In the prior 12 months, Sun Country's operating profit had been significantly higher, at $32 million. Yet even then, its 6% operating margin was far worse than the double-digit margins common at other U.S. airlines.

Professional management is coming.

In addition to its small size, Sun Country has also suffered in recent years from not having an experienced management team. In 2011, the company was bought out of bankruptcy by the owners of Cambria: a Minnesota-based company that specializes in kitchen countertops. Additionally, Sun Country was led for most of the past two years by Zarir Erani, an executive with no previous experience in the airline industry.

By contrast, new CEO Jude Bricker worked for Allegiant Travel -- a highly successful ultra-low cost carrier -- for more than a decade, most recently as chief operating officer. Thus, Bricker will bring fresh ideas and much-needed industry know-how to Sun Country Airlines.

Costs are too high.

Right now, Sun Country's biggest problem is that its costs are too high for a low-cost carrier (especially a small one with little pricing power). During the 12-month period that ended in March, Sun Country's cost per available seat mile (CASM) was 10.57 cents. For comparison, Allegiant posted CASM of 8.36 cents during the same period, despite facing significant cost pressures related to its ongoing fleet transition.

Meanwhile, Delta Air Lines' CASM has been around 13 cents recently -- but Delta can generate much higher unit revenue due to its full-service hub-and-spoke business model.

Sun Country needs to reduce its costs to compete with Delta. Image Source: Delta Air Lines.

With more than 70% market share at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, Delta is by far Sun Country Airlines' most important competitor. (Nearly all of Sun Country's scheduled flights touch Minneapolis-St. Paul.) In order to thrive, the carrier will need a bigger cost advantage.

Can Sun Country be fixed?

At this point, the clearest path forward for Sun Country Airlines would be to transform itself into an ultra-low-cost carrier. Its new CEO is already familiar with the ULCC business model from his time at Allegiant. Furthermore, Frontier Airlines successfully reshaped itself as a ULCC a few years ago and has become strongly profitable since then despite facing customer backlash in its hometown of Denver.

One of the most basic ways that ULCCs keep costs down is by squeezing as many seats as possible onto their planes. Reconfiguring Sun Country's fleet might take a year or two, but it would be a straightforward way to reduce unit costs.

Ultra-low-cost carriers also generally implement substantial fees for using high-cost amenities like reservations call centers and agent-assisted check-in. By prodding customers to take advantage of self-service options like booking online and printing a boarding pass at home, they can further reduce their costs.

Sun Country Airlines could also go a different route, such as trying to position itself as a "premium" brand like Virgin America. However, such a transformation would be far tougher to pull off. Converting to an ultra-low-cost carrier business model is both the most promising and the most likely path that Sun Country will take under its new CEO.
AU MD FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #760
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Content
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMpilot View Post
Does anyone have a good HR contact at Sun Country? I've had my app in for a while and haven't heard anything back.

6000TT, over 2500 in the NG, with 700 being PIC.
They go off of airlineapps and internal recs. Hiring only 20 more this year.
i fly planes is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's Buying Sun Country? Green Banana Major 76 03-29-2011 06:25 PM
SWA in position to buy Sun Country? djrogs03 Major 5 09-21-2010 10:28 PM
Sun Country files Chapter 11 A320Flyer Major 16 11-10-2009 01:01 PM
Sun Country Tells Workers It May Shut Down Dec. 1 Green Banana Major 6 10-06-2008 04:06 PM
Sun Country lets go 30% of pilots stbloc Major 23 04-06-2008 05:20 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:42 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.3, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2000 - 2017 Internet Brands, Inc.