Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Default 401K/Retirement

I work for one of the top corporate aviation departments my management tells me. I'm wondering what I should expect the 401K/Retirement from such a top department should be.

Can anyone help me answer that?

Thanks,

SeaTurtle
SeaTurtle is offline  
Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Otterbox's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger
Posts: 1,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTurtle View Post
I work for one of the top corporate aviation departments my management tells me. I'm wondering what I should expect the 401K/Retirement from such a top department should be.

Can anyone help me answer that?

Thanks,

SeaTurtle

The unions at the majors seem to be fighting for 16%+ company direct contribution outside of pay.

Unfortunately, you'll probably find your 401k is in line with company benefits package for the rest of its employees... At a lot of companies that's about a 5% match and not a direct contribution. I wouldn't get my hopes up about getting some deal beyond what the rest of the employee group gets.
Otterbox is offline  
Old 09-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #3  
Line Holder
 
G550av8r's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 55
Default

Corporate aviation is currently way behind the curve in this department when compared to the majors. They will have to make some adjustments in the near future in order to retain and bring up talent.
G550av8r is offline  
Old 09-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Likeabat's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Rebuilding the career
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G550av8r View Post
Corporate aviation is currently way behind the curve in this department when compared to the majors. They will have to make some adjustments in the near future in order to retain and bring up talent.
Hence the airline applications I've recently completed.
Likeabat is offline  
Old 09-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #5  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks guys for the replies. That is in line with what little I have been able to find out. I did get picked up by Southwest and I wanted to let them know in the exit interview in a nice way that I couldn't plan to ever retire by staying.... My time in the corporate world has been good, but....time to move on.

SeaTurtle
SeaTurtle is offline  
Old 09-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Qotsaautopilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,361
Default

Great job. If the southwest agreement in principle gets a passing vote you will see a 15% defined contribution by the end of its term. Corporate America needs to get it together. It's impossible to save the amount you need for retirement with these small matching plans. Profits profits profit, where do they go because Americas employees sure aren't seeing them.
Qotsaautopilot is offline  
Old 09-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
cgtpilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: A320
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterbox View Post
The unions at the majors seem to be fighting for 16%+ company direct contribution outside of pay.

Unfortunately, you'll probably find your 401k is in line with company benefits package for the rest of its employees... At a lot of companies that's about a 5% match and not a direct contribution. I wouldn't get my hopes up about getting some deal beyond what the rest of the employee group gets.
United has had a 16% B fund since the 2000s bankruptcy contract.
cgtpilot is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:37 AM.