Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2021, 04:07 AM   #1  
Frequent Furlough Club
Thread Starter
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,602
Default Symptoms

After 10 months of carefully remaining in my family bubble, wearing masks religiously (everywhere except the cockpit), and cleaning hotel rooms before I even take off my shoes, I finally drew the short straw.

Figured I would share how it's going, and maybe others will do the same to show how symptoms differ between people.

1/6 Woke up with an intermittent dry cough, and a migraine headache. Headache lasted throughout the day but was easily managed with Tylenol. Went to bed early that night, but woke up freezing! Could not get warm. Put on sweat pants, sweat shirt, thick socks, winter ski cap, two blankets including an electric blanket on 'high' all night. Still couldn't get warm. Fever only about 100.3

1/7 Woke up feeling ok, but went to get tested right away since those symptoms were uncharacteristic for a cold for me. Rapid test showed positive. Went home and quarantined in the master bedroom. Wife and son stayed away and we both wore KN95s when they brought food. Mild symptoms the rest of the day. Chills, body aches, fatigue. No fever. O2 saturation 97-98%

Started taking Vitamin C / zinc
Mucinex
Tylenol for pain and fever

1/8 Slept well. Woke to achy muscles, general feeling of fatigue. My skin 'hurt' if that makes any sense. Like it hurt to brush my hair. Took a two hour nap in the afternoon and awoke to head-cold type symptoms. Cough, runny nose/stuffy nose. No fever. O2 saturation holding at 97%-98%

Added vitamin D supplement

1/9 Woke up a lot. Hot and cold again. Couldn't get comfortable. General head-cold type symptoms. Unproductive cough. In the morning woke up to no fever. Headache. Stuffy nose. Oxygen saturation 95-96, but can increase it back to 97-98 with deep breaths.

So that's where I am right now. Guess this is day 4 of symptoms. I'll update if there are significant changes.

What really makes me mad (at myself) is that after all this time, to get the virus NOW, within just months of being able to vaccinate. So frustrating.

Stay safe out there everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZapBrannigan is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 04:23 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
tlove482's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapBrannigan View Post
After 10 months of carefully remaining in my family bubble, wearing masks religiously (everywhere except the cockpit), and cleaning hotel rooms before I even take off my shoes, I finally drew the short straw.

Figured I would share how it's going, and maybe others will do the same to show how symptoms differ between people.

1/6 Woke up with an intermittent dry cough, and a migraine headache. Headache lasted throughout the day but was easily managed with Tylenol. Went to bed early that night, but woke up freezing! Could not get warm. Put on sweat pants, sweat shirt, thick socks, winter ski cap, two blankets including an electric blanket on 'high' all night. Still couldn't get warm. Fever only about 100.3

1/7 Woke up feeling ok, but went to get tested right away since those symptoms were uncharacteristic for a cold for me. Rapid test showed positive. Went home and quarantined in the master bedroom. Wife and son stayed away and we both wore KN95s when they brought food. Mild symptoms the rest of the day. Chills, body aches, fatigue. No fever. O2 saturation 97-98%

Started taking Vitamin C / zinc
Mucinex
Tylenol for pain and fever

1/8 Slept well. Woke to achy muscles, general feeling of fatigue. My skin 'hurt' if that makes any sense. Like it hurt to brush my hair. Took a two hour nap in the afternoon and awoke to head-cold type symptoms. Cough, runny nose/stuffy nose. No fever. O2 saturation holding at 97%-98%

Added vitamin D supplement

1/9 Woke up a lot. Hot and cold again. Couldn't get comfortable. General head-cold type symptoms. Unproductive cough. In the morning woke up to no fever. Headache. Stuffy nose. Oxygen saturation 95-96, but can increase it back to 97-98 with deep breaths.

So that's where I am right now. Guess this is day 4 of symptoms. I'll update if there are significant changes.

What really makes me mad (at myself) is that after all this time, to get the virus NOW, within just months of being able to vaccinate. So frustrating.

Stay safe out there everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully you recover quickly and the family doesn't catch it. Glad you are checking O2 levels.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
tlove482 is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Peabody17's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Position: Right Seat
Posts: 141
Default

This is a great post to follow and add to. Any idea how you were exposed?
Peabody17 is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 06:00 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
reCALcitrant's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Posts: 562
Default

Hope you feel better soon!
reCALcitrant is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 06:04 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RustyChain's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody17 View Post
This is a great post to follow and add to. Any idea how you were exposed?
sounds like a NYE party...

Seriously though, OP, feel better.
RustyChain is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 06:19 AM   #6  
Frequent Furlough Club
Thread Starter
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,602
Default Symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody17 View Post
This is a great post to follow and add to. Any idea how you were exposed?

I suspect it was at work. My family is/has been very careful with regard to masks, distancing, etc. We stayed home during the holidays, haven't been out of the house with friends or any type of gatherings. If we did go out, it was typically to get groceries and then come right back home.

My son does attend physical school but there too they wear masks, have plexiglass dividers, and have to clean shared materials. Plus school had been out since mid December.

The only place I dropped my guard was at work, and only once the cockpit door was closed and the constant parade of flight attendants, gate agents, mechanics, etc stop coming up front. I would take the mask off during flight.

On overnights I was bringing my own food and not congregating with the crew.

I am based in a southern city with a overwhelmingly conservative pilot group. The captain who I believe I may have acquired it from wore a gaiter - but removed it every chance he got. He talked about visiting friends and family over the holidays and even met a college friend for dinner on one of our overnights.

So no way to know of course. Could have just as easily gotten it from a TSA agent or a Walmart cashier, but that's my guess.

PS - stayed home with the wife and son on New Years Eve. Started a trip on 1/1.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZapBrannigan is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
wrxpilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767
Posts: 1,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody17 View Post
This is a great post to follow and add to. Any idea how you were exposed?
I would also like to know how you think you caught it. Zap, I know you’ve been careful and took this serious... Thanks for making the post.

Edit:
Just saw the follow up. Very frustrating when you have selfish coworkers that don’t take it seriously.
wrxpilot is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 06:26 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
BobbyLeeSwagger's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2017
Position: MEC Chairman, Snack Basket Committee
Posts: 1,743
Default

Zap,

I had covid 12/19, symptoms ended 12/29 with lingering occasional cough which is gone now. Positive pcr test 12/24 and a recent follow up negative antigen test.
​​​​​​
Some highlights for me: no fever & no shortness of breath (or very occasional shortness of breath).

Constant symptoms were fatigue, feeling of a head rush that would last a couple hours, nausea, loss of appetite. Wet cough became progressively dry
First three days was bad body aches, felt like I slept on a concrete floor or something. Took motrin and it helped some

Day 4 I lost taste and smell COMPLETELY. It's a very weird situation. It lasted 3 days before it started to come back. But things didn't taste right at first. Honey bunches of oats cereal tasted minty and coffee which I love tasted terrible. That lasted another three days.

All in all, I'd call my symptoms mild, but still was not fun. I did the same vitamin regiment as you except I also took 10 mg of melatonin at night. As I understand it the melatonin helps your immune response.

Get well man

Last edited by BobbyLeeSwagger; 01-09-2021 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Spacing
BobbyLeeSwagger is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 06:29 AM   #9  
Frequent Furlough Club
Thread Starter
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLeeSwagger View Post
Zap,

I had covid 12/19, symptoms ended 12/29 with lingering occasional cough which is gone now. Positive pcr test 12/24 and a recent follow up negative antigen test.
​​​​​​
Some highlights for me: no fever & no shortness of breath (or very occasional shortness of breath).

Constant symptoms were fatigue, feeling of a head rush that would last a couple hours, nausea, loss of appetite. Wet cough became progressively dry
First three days was bad body aches, felt like I slept on a concrete floor or something. Took motrin and it helped some

Day 4 I lost taste and smell COMPLETELY. It's a very weird situation. It lasted 3 days before it started to come back. But things didn't taste right at first. Honey bunches of oats cereal tasted minty and coffee which I love tasted terrible. That lasted another three days.

All in all, I'd call my symptoms mild, but still was not fun. I did the same vitamin regiment as you except I also took 10 mg of melatonin at night. As I understand it the melatonin helps your immune response.

Get well man

Hey thanks Bobby. I forgot to mention the melatonin because I take that pretty frequently anyway, but yes I've been taking that as well. Also added a baby aspirin to try and prevent blood clots.

My wife brought a chair into the bedroom so I could sit up, rather than in bed all day. I've heard being upright helps to prevent fluids from pooling in the lungs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZapBrannigan is offline  
Old 01-09-2021, 06:31 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RhinoPherret's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2012
Posts: 983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapBrannigan View Post
I suspect it was at work. My family is/has been very careful with regard to masks, distancing, etc. We stayed home during the holidays, haven't been out of the house with friends or any type of gatherings. If we did go out, it was typically to get groceries and then come right back home.

My son does attend physical school but there too they wear masks, have plexiglass dividers, and have to clean shared materials. Plus school had been out since mid December.

The only place I dropped my guard was at work, and only once the cockpit door was closed and the constant parade of flight attendants, gate agents, mechanics, etc stop coming up front. I would take the mask off during flight.

On overnights I was bringing my own food and not congregating with the crew.

I am based in a southern city with a overwhelmingly conservative pilot group. The captain who I believe I may have acquired it from wore a gaiter - but removed it every chance he got. He talked about visiting friends and family over the holidays and even met a college friend for dinner on one of our overnights.

So no way to know of course. Could have just as easily gotten it from a TSA agent or a Walmart cashier, but that's my guess.

PS - stayed home with the wife and son on New Years Eve. Started a trip on 1/1.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishing you the absolute best during your recovery.
You did the right things to mitigate catching and/or spreading COVID. So, commend yourself for taking those proven actions. It is all about decreasing the odds of spreading or catching the virus. Ultimately though, sometimes it still boils down to luck and circumstances. You cannot control them all the time, but you work to mitigate the odds. Even Vegas loses occasionally.
RhinoPherret is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COVID-19 Antibody Testing Information mikea72580 Delta 29 05-07-2020 07:42 PM
FA Non-uniformity NavyFlyer Delta 178 01-13-2020 05:14 PM
Hypoxic Kalitta Crew FMI Cargo 14 10-21-2009 11:15 AM
Advice Please!!!!!!!!!!!!! olbob629 Pilot Health 10 08-21-2007 09:54 AM
6 symptoms you should not ignore Tech Maven Pilot Health 0 03-07-2006 12:32 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:13 AM.