Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #11  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWizDriver View Post
That's the one. Thanks for the assist.

Whether the release was accidental or otherwise, it is pretty clear the Chinese manipulated the virus know as Covid 19. Just like some of us have been saying all along.
At the direction of the World Economic Forum. See Event 201 and the bogus response from Johns hopkins. Nothing major happens on this planet without the blessing from Geneva.
Xtreme87 is offline  
Old 03-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #12  
Prime Minister/Moderator
Thread Starter
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 29,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme87 View Post
At the direction of the World Economic Forum. See Event 201 and the bogus response from Johns hopkins. Nothing major happens on this planet without the blessing from Geneva.
China is the last country on earth that wants any kind of reset???

They stay in power by ensuring their people have some economic opportunities... the CCP is realistic enough to know they'd get lynched if they tried to shut it all down just because.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 03-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #13  
:-)
 
Mesabah's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,774
Default

The closest genetic relative to Covid, by far, is a virus studied by the lab. It wouldn't be the first time the Chinese have leaked a Coronavirus either.
Mesabah is online now  
Old 03-16-2021, 10:52 PM   #14  
Prime Minister/Moderator
Thread Starter
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 29,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesabah View Post
The closest genetic relative to Covid, by far, is a virus studied by the lab. It wouldn't be the first time the Chinese have leaked a Coronavirus either.
It's possible, but they didn't do it intentionally.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 03-17-2021, 04:06 AM   #15  
Perennial Reserve
 
Excargodog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 6,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
It's possible, but they didn't do it intentionally.
Old military axiom: ‘a bullet may just have your name on it’ and there is nothing you can do about it. But most of the bullets whizzing around the battlefield are addressed ‘to whom it may concern.’

Whether THIS pandemic was laboratory caused or not, the evidence of history suggests that security in labs that work with such material needs to be tightened up - particularly in China:

https://armscontrolcenter.org/wp-con...17-14-copy.pdf

For that matter, there are places in the world that are sparsely settled that pose far less danger of inadvertent spread in the event of accidental release than a lab in the middle of a city of 11 million people. The Gobi desert, for instance, has a population density of three people per square mile.

Last edited by Excargodog; 03-17-2021 at 04:50 AM.
Excargodog is offline  
Old 03-17-2021, 04:08 AM   #16  
Speed, Power, Accuracy
 
GeeWizDriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: PIC
Posts: 1,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
It's possible, but they didn't do it intentionally.
That may be true. Likely even.

But when WHO tries to perpetuate the hoax that the bug started in a wet market, it points out for the umpteenth time how corrupt the alphabet "health" agencies are.
GeeWizDriver is offline  
Old 03-17-2021, 07:09 AM   #17  
Prime Minister/Moderator
Thread Starter
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 29,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
For that matter, there are places in the world that are sparsely settled that pose far less danger of inadvertent spread in the event of accidental release than a lab in the middle of a city of 11 million people. The Gobi desert, for instance, has a population density of three people per square mile.
Sure, but how do you get competent people to live in a place like that?

Bio-hazard safety protocols can be tightened... this isn't the 5th century, we absolutely have the technology to contain a virus in a lab, it just takes discipline on management's part. Fund the right equipment, staffing, and protocols and that will mean lower productivity for a given funding level. Maintain worker discipline and a safety culture.

I think the lab theory gets so much traction because it's more entertaining... something out of a science-fiction novel as opposed to just boring bio-science.

Also the bug was not engineered in any way... that kind of hacking leaves obvious genetic markers, and was ruled out very early on by simple inspection of the virus genome. It would be hypothetically possible to use selective breeding to try and achieve specific characteristics without any genetic engineering but if you're trying to make a virus more dangerous and contagious in humans, you'd have to use human hosts... LOTS of human hosts, possibly millions. Not even remotely practical.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 03-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Regularguy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: A Nobody
Posts: 1,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Also the bug was not engineered in any way... that kind of hacking leaves obvious genetic markers, and was ruled out very early on by simple inspection of the virus genome. It would be hypothetically possible to use selective breeding to try and achieve specific characteristics without any genetic engineering but if you're trying to make a virus more dangerous and contagious in humans, you'd have to use human hosts... LOTS of human hosts, possibly millions. Not even remotely practical.
Rickair

Well if I have read you correctly I will state unequivocally that you have fallen to the propaganda and also are a captive suffering from the “Stockholm Syndrome.”

1. No matter how competent, safety protocols are enacted, proper funding, and well educated the people are accident will, not might, happen. The airline industry attempts to work towards a zero accident and fatality position yet it has never fully succeeded.

2. Unless you are a microbiologist or viral researcher your information about markers and such aren’t totally true. It is true the COVID probably was not engineered, but a very simple search for what was going on in the China lab, and many others BTW, will reveal to you what kind of work is going on. Even Dr. Fauci is a known supporter of the particular, and dangerous work that is being done.

3. As far as human hosts go, well that is also not true. All the virility testing can be done in labs without actual human testing. That is reserved for the time when the researchers decide they have a viable product to test.

We all want to think the world is essentially sweetness and goodness, but it just isn’t true. There is a never ending stream of sociopathic individuals waiting to dominate and use others for their personal world vision.
Regularguy is offline  
Old 03-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #19  
Prime Minister/Moderator
Thread Starter
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 29,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regularguy View Post
Rickair

Well if I have read you correctly I will state unequivocally that you have fallen to the propaganda and also are a captive suffering from the “Stockholm Syndrome.”

1. No matter how competent, safety protocols are enacted, proper funding, and well educated the people are accident will, not might, happen. The airline industry attempts to work towards a zero accident and fatality position yet it has never fully succeeded.
The airline industry could get a lot closer to zero fatalities if cost were no object... but of course it's a business with economics. With bio-hazard research cost should not be an object, if you can't afford to do it safaly you have no business doing it all. They should certainly be able to reduce instances of escape to something minuscule like once every century or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regularguy View Post
2. Unless you are a microbiologist or viral researcher your information about markers and such aren’t totally true. It is true the COVID probably was not engineered, but a very simple search for what was going on in the China lab, and many others BTW, will reveal to you what kind of work is going on. Even Dr. Fauci is a known supporter of the particular, and dangerous work that is being done.
I used to work in the bio-tech industry and am quite familiar with microbiology and viral function. I've also updated my knowledge quite a bit in the last year. I know what kind of work they were doing in the lab, that's why the lab was located in that region in the first place, that much is obvious. The question is did the bug escape from the lab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regularguy View Post
3. As far as human hosts go, well that is also not true. All the virility testing can be done in labs without actual human testing. That is reserved for the time when the researchers decide they have a viable product to test.
Yes it is, maybe you misread what I said. If you're BREEDING a virus/bacteria, so as to avoid leaving smoking-gun genetic engineering markers, to achieve specific behavior in humans that's going to be hard to do without humans hosts especially if you're looking for a bio-weapon. You could probably use primates (likely need actual apes) to work towards enhanced contagiousness, but there are actually far fewer apes in the world than humans, they're all endangered, and obviously export-controlled. You could try doing your breeding in common lab animals, but after all the work there's no guarantee the results would translate well to humans (or any other random species).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regularguy View Post
We all want to think the world is essentially sweetness and goodness, but it just isn’t true. There is a never ending stream of sociopathic individuals waiting to dominate and use others for their personal world vision.
Yes, but the ones we're worried about are very high-functioning and no more interested in getting caught attempting mass-murder with WMD's than anyone else. They enjoy power, wealth, and privilege... few actually DESIRE to preside over a Dante-esque distopia. None want a 0200 wake-up call from somebodies national mission force. With millions dead world-wide, nukes would actually be on the table too... US, RUS, and probaby FRA have the PRC thoroughly outgunned in that regard. Besides the PRC plays a very looong game, way out of their cultural context to take crazy chances to rush to the finish line. And this is the kicker that rules out intentional bio-terrorism on the part of the PRC: Trump. They would have waited for an administration which might just possibly not nuke them if they got caught. Just like how the hostage in iran got returned minutes before Reagan was sworn in, that was not a coincidence.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 03-17-2021, 07:50 AM   #20  
Perennial Reserve
 
Excargodog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 6,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Sure, but how do you get competent people to live in a place like that?

Bio-hazard safety protocols can be tightened... this isn't the 5th century, we absolutely have the technology to contain a virus in a lab, it just takes discipline on management's part. Fund the right equipment, staffing, and protocols and that will mean lower productivity for a given funding level. Maintain worker discipline and a safety culture.

I think the lab theory gets so much traction because it's more entertaining... something out of a science-fiction novel as opposed to just boring bio-science.

Also the bug was not engineered in any way... that kind of hacking leaves obvious genetic markers, and was ruled out very early on by simple inspection of the virus genome. It would be hypothetically possible to use selective breeding to try and achieve specific characteristics without any genetic engineering but if you're trying to make a virus more dangerous and contagious in humans, you'd have to use human hosts... LOTS of human hosts, possibly millions. Not even remotely practical.
I didn’t claim it was engineered. In fact, for the other escaped viruses in the article I cited, the very fact that their genome WAS so closely identical to the original was evidence that this WAS a lab escape because the random mutations that would have been expected if it hadn’t been stored in a freezer for a few decades simply weren’t there. And the problem is that they plainly WERE NOT maintaining worker discipline and a safety culture. Not with the frequency of incidents that have occurred in the past.

https://thebulletin.org/2019/02/huma...ndemic-threat/

https://genomebiology.biomedcentral....ht-20040427-03

And how do you get competent people to live somewhere like that? Seriously? Do you think the Chinese HAVEN’T shipped people to Outer Mongolia? That they don’t do so routinely when it suits their interests?


https://www.pbs.org/newshour/features/uighurs/

But yeah, the Gobi Desert suggestion was sort of tongue-in-cheek, but clearly there are areas that aren’t in towns with an 11 million populations that are major rail, River, and airline hubs where they could put these labs.


Excargodog is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check My Math NotMrNiceGuy COVID19 7 09-23-2020 06:07 PM
Airplane Pilot Job, Bethel - US Fish Wildlife vagabond Hiring News 10 03-06-2009 05:25 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:12 PM.