Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > COVID19
Omicron may be headed for Rapid Drop in US >

Omicron may be headed for Rapid Drop in US

Notices
COVID19 Pandemic Information and Reports

Omicron may be headed for Rapid Drop in US

Old 01-12-2022, 11:18 AM
  #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA
Posts: 1,135
Default Omicron may be headed for Rapid Drop in US

https://apnews.com/article/omicron-w...%20Subscribers

Basically Omicron is running out of people to infect.
AirBear is offline  
Old 01-12-2022, 12:04 PM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
DeltaboundRedux's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2020
Position: Unkwn Virus of Unspcified Origin
Posts: 740
Default

Given how the country is spread out and the reported mildness of the symptoms, how could you even know? Unless everyone was tested on a very regular basis....but they're not, because tests aren't A.) Available or B.) Free*

Wife had all the symptoms last week. Fever, fatigue, muscle aches, cough, runny nose...everything except the telltale "can't taste".

Over and done in 3 days. Covid tests 3 days in a row came up "negative".

(*) - Yes, POTUS waved a magic memo and told insurance companies to reimburse everyone up to 8 tests a month. Because everyone LOVES spending 6 months to get 25 bucks back from insurance companies, this is a fantastic plan.
DeltaboundRedux is offline  
Old 01-14-2022, 11:05 AM
  #3  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA
Posts: 1,135
Default

My brother's wife and 13yr old daughter tested positive last week, so far my brother is negative. All are vax'd and boosted. I expect for every "official" positive report of COVID19 Omicron variant there are many more who tested positive at home and aren't included in the official totals.

I really hope Omicron puts and end to this pandemic.

Originally Posted by DeltaboundRedux View Post
Given how the country is spread out and the reported mildness of the symptoms, how could you even know? Unless everyone was tested on a very regular basis....but they're not, because tests aren't A.) Available or B.) Free*

Wife had all the symptoms last week. Fever, fatigue, muscle aches, cough, runny nose...everything except the telltale "can't taste".

Over and done in 3 days. Covid tests 3 days in a row came up "negative".

(*) - Yes, POTUS waved a magic memo and told insurance companies to reimburse everyone up to 8 tests a month. Because everyone LOVES spending 6 months to get 25 bucks back from insurance companies, this is a fantastic plan.
AirBear is offline  
Old 01-14-2022, 12:58 PM
  #4  
Perennial Reserve
 
Excargodog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 7,268
Default

I seriously doubt if the average person getting omicron even gets tested. A number of healthcare organizations in CA are asking their personnel to come back to work regardless of infection status, just as long as they can do the job.
Excargodog is offline  
Old 01-14-2022, 01:00 PM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: MD-88 FO
Posts: 679
Default

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
I seriously doubt if the average person getting omicron even gets tested.
Thatís the problem. So many businesses are still paying for Covid leaves that anybody with a cold symptoms get tested daily just hoping they pop positive.
Myfingershurt is offline  
Old 01-14-2022, 01:11 PM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
DeltaboundRedux's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2020
Position: Unkwn Virus of Unspcified Origin
Posts: 740
Default

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
I seriously doubt if the average person getting omicron even gets tested. A number of healthcare organizations in CA are asking their personnel to come back to work regardless of infection status, just as long as they can do the job.
50,000 tests being done a day in the small state of UT. People sitting in their cars for up to 4 hours. They're running out of tests.

The state epidemiologist just telling everyone " If you think you have it, stay home and isolate."

Testing does not appear to be stopping the spread in the slightest; get rid of all those tests, and get ready for a "rapid drop".
DeltaboundRedux is offline  
Old 01-14-2022, 01:16 PM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: MD-88 FO
Posts: 679
Default

Originally Posted by DeltaboundRedux View Post
50,000 tests being done a day in the small state of UT. People sitting in their cars for up to 4 hours. They're running out of tests.

The state epidemiologist just telling everyone " If you think you have it, stay home and isolate."

Testing does not appear to be stopping the spread in the slightest; get rid of all those tests, and get ready for a "rapid drop".
Haha. Iíve been saying this since day one. If youíre not dying, why get tested. Ignorance is bliss!
Myfingershurt is offline  
Old 01-14-2022, 01:53 PM
  #8  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 31,550
Default

Originally Posted by DeltaboundRedux View Post
50,000 tests being done a day in the small state of UT. People sitting in their cars for up to 4 hours. They're running out of tests.

The state epidemiologist just telling everyone " If you think you have it, stay home and isolate."

Testing does not appear to be stopping the spread in the slightest; get rid of all those tests, and get ready for a "rapid drop".
No kidding. We only got tested so the kid could go back to school asap and the wife could go on her girl's weekend. I didn't bother.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 01-16-2022, 08:23 PM
  #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hoover's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: cpt 737
Posts: 1,433
Default

My neighbor who is a nurse new policy for work is come to work if you have covid even if you have symptoms but not if the symptoms are too bad. That's a quote.
if this is acceptable then why are mandates etc still in effect? Stop testing and end the madness.
hoover is offline  
Old 01-17-2022, 07:02 AM
  #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 534
Default

Originally Posted by Myfingershurt View Post
Haha. Iíve been saying this since day one. If youíre not dying, why get tested. Ignorance is bliss!
This logic is a bit backwards, isn't it?

I mean, if you're dying from COVID symptoms, then why bother? It's pretty obvious at that point.

But if you're mildly sick and therefore CONTAGIOUS, a test to confirm COVID is a pretty reasonable thing to do so that you know to stay away from those who are elderly, immunocompromised and/or unvaccinated.

Just because you were lucky enough to suffer only mild symptoms (perhaps because you were vaxxed, or maybe you're just very healthy otherwise) the person YOU INFECT may not be so lucky.

I don't know what's happened to common sense in this country. Ignorance is indeed bliss.
zerozero is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Pielut
Major
187
03-23-2010 07:20 PM
unemployedagain
Major
1
04-23-2009 09:20 AM
fireman0174
Foreign
2
10-12-2008 08:03 PM
captain_drew
Major
0
08-19-2005 10:35 PM
Gordon C
Major
0
05-29-2005 12:11 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread