Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > > >
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Dec 2014
Posts: 23
Default Tokyo non rev

Somehow I pulled two weeks off in July! Thinking about taking my family (wife and three kids 11-14) to Tokyo for 4 or 5 days than head to Hawaii. Any gouge and recommendations and things to do there, tips on non rev & getting around Tokyo?
Thanks in advance
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #2  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Somehow I pulled two weeks off in July! Thinking about taking my family (wife and three kids 11-14) to Tokyo for 4 or 5 days than head to Hawaii. Any gouge and recommendations and things to do there, tips on non rev & getting around Tokyo?
Thanks in advance
As a foreigner you can get a japan rail pass for reasonable prices, covers all trains (minus metro and a handful of super high speed rail). This allows you to enter anywhere really, NRT and HND are connected with airport specific rails that take you right to downtown Tokyo.

Recommend Kyoto and we also did a ďsmallĒ town (3 million people) called Kanazawa, check out the ninja temple.
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #3  
Line Holder
 
captainchipotle's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: Off the magenta line
Posts: 69
Default

Iíve gone to japan a few times. My wife and I love it. Stay anywhere close to a metro stop and transportation is easy. Last time we stayed next to the main Tokyo station and it was reasonably priced for Tokyo (about $100/nt 3 stars). Itís right by metro lines and JR railways. Youíre a 30 min metro ride to HND, and a 1hr bus ride to NRT (for $10! And the bus was really nice and comfortable).

We went to a Tokyo Giants baseball game this trip, if you like baseball Iíd highly recommend it, it was an awesome experience. Also if youíve got young ones, Tokyo Disneyland and Disney sea would be good. Again, all a short metro ride if you stay close to the main station.

Shinjuku and kabukicho for nightlife... ...check out the robot bar/restaurant. We loved it and there were families that brought their kids (it has a reputation for being swanky but the ladies were covered up)

The Tokyo skytree tower is amazing too. One of the best observatories in the world
captainchipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Narrow/Left Wide/Right
Posts: 2,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainchipotle View Post
Iíve gone to japan a few times. My wife and I love it. Stay anywhere close to a metro stop and transportation is easy. Last time we stayed next to the main Tokyo station and it was reasonably priced for Tokyo (about $100/nt 3 stars). Itís right by metro lines and JR railways. Youíre a 30 min metro ride to HND, and a 1hr bus ride to NRT (for $10! And the bus was really nice and comfortable).

We went to a Tokyo Giants baseball game this trip, if you like baseball Iíd highly recommend it, it was an awesome experience. Also if youíve got young ones, Tokyo Disneyland and Disney sea would be good. Again, all a short metro ride if you stay close to the main station.

Shinjuku and kabukicho for nightlife... ...check out the robot bar/restaurant. We loved it and there were families that brought their kids (it has a reputation for being swanky but the ladies were covered up)

The Tokyo skytree tower is amazing too. One of the best observatories in the world

I agree with all, if your military related, you can sometimes get last minute rooms at the New Sanno which is in the heart of Tokyo. My kids loved the Pokemon store as well at that age.
For a small excursion, take the train to Hakone for a night, there is a cable car overlooking a great lake and lots of hotsprings.

Lastly, the morning after you arrive don't let a good case of jet lag pin you down, head out to Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo (goes from about 4:30am till 9am) where all the sushi restaurant buyers get their daily catch of fresh ocean creatures that are kept alive till the very last second. Many of the creatures look like they are from a different planet. Your kids will be amazed and there are Tuna being auctioned off for thousands of dollars every morning.
Also second the Tokyo Giants game if able, unlike any baseball game in the US with organized chants and ladies serving beer from pony kegs attached to their backs. Lastly, if you can attend any sumo event, that is great as well.

Sayonara
full of luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Posts: 353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by full of luv View Post
I agree with all, if your military related, you can sometimes get last minute rooms at the New Sanno which is in the heart of Tokyo. My kids loved the Pokemon store as well at that age.
For a small excursion, take the train to Hakone for a night, there is a cable car overlooking a great lake and lots of hotsprings.

Lastly, the morning after you arrive don't let a good case of jet lag pin you down, head out to Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo (goes from about 4:30am till 9am) where all the sushi restaurant buyers get their daily catch of fresh ocean creatures that are kept alive till the very last second. Many of the creatures look like they are from a different planet. Your kids will be amazed and there are Tuna being auctioned off for thousands of dollars every morning.
Also second the Tokyo Giants game if able, unlike any baseball game in the US with organized chants and ladies serving beer from pony kegs attached to their backs. Lastly, if you can attend any sumo event, that is great as well.

Sayonara
2, best sushi I have ever had.
C130driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:48 AM   #6  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Dec 2014
Posts: 23
Default

Thanks for all the gouge!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #7  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2013
Posts: 55
Default

Me and the wife did a 10 day trip over there out of ATL a few months ago. It was Cherry blossom season so the loads were tight... but yea everything said above is solid.

We also did the Arakura Sengen Shrine out of Tokyo as an easy day trip at the last minute. Very simple to get around if you get the rail pass and you can buy it at the Narita airport. The cost is a little more if you buy it the day of but with non reving you never quite know if or when youll arrive.

Have fun!
Expat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #8  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Default

Leaving Tokyo Haneda as I write this....

Tokyo is really a cash city, very few places accept credit cards, unless itís a chain restaurant, or an upscale sit down restaurant. Cash was also required at the currency exchange at the airports and metro stations. There is a 72 hour unlimited ride on the metro ticket that can be purchased at multiple places around the city and both airports. 15 dollars for adults and 7.50 for kids. These do not work on the JR LINES, only the metro lines. You must show your passport to purchase. We purchased ours at TIC which stands for tourist information center. The Tokyo metro website lists the places you can purchase them. Use the Tokyo metro app to get around the city. There is a metro guide by the metro stations that lists some of the sights. Harajku is a popular place for kids and has lots of little stores and cafes including cafes where you can play with cats and pet owls.
The Tokyo Tower and Skytree are beautiful at night and Ueno is a nice park with a zoo in it. If you fly into Haneda the Keikyu line runs into the Asakusa line to take you into the city, all included in the 72 hour pass. If you stay near a metro station you can pretty much get anywhere. Hope you like fish!
717Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #9  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Dec 2014
Posts: 23
Default

Thanks for all of the replies!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #10  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 27
Default

All the above are great points on Tokyo. Especially it being a cash city.

Another point I will second is get one of the rail/transit cards for each person on arrival. We used the PASMO card and it worked on pretty much everything in Tokyo except high speed trains. Then we returned it at HND for a full refund of what was left on the cards.

Google mapís transit directions (and having the above cards) were a godsend and made using public transport to get around effortless. We also used uber a couple of times too without any issues.

If youíve never been to a Japanese bbq place be sure to try that out too! The one we went to was called Gyu-Kaku. There are several around Tokyo. We have them in the US too but might as well try the original while in Japan.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connect through Tokyo or Hong Kong? rswitz Asia 1 09-18-2015 02:09 PM
Good News - Tokyo Haneda Toddnel United 15 03-02-2014 01:23 AM
Tokyo to Narita Commute HSLD Your Photos and Videos 8 11-13-2011 02:18 PM
Update on Tokyo Accident 69boeing Cargo 32 04-18-2010 09:37 PM
Nonrev to Tokyo dudeskibro Major 10 10-09-2009 09:37 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:35 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands