Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
StartngOvr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2014
Position: A320 DAL
Posts: 176
Default BOS Meltdown 7/31

Anyone else get caught up in Boston yesterday? Total disaster with gate space and ramp control. Mine was one of multiple aircraft held out for gates over two hours. This was AFTER we had airborne holding, diverted, reboarded and continued to BOS. One 321 was begging for a lab service as legs were full to nearly overflowing. They wouldn’t even find a way to come dump the lavs off the gate somewhere.

By the time we got a gate and opened the door we were within 15-20 minutes of violating the three hour DOT tarmac rule.

To think we are going to add even more flying and make BOS a “hub” makes me think it won’t go well, especially without the resources of a pilot base there to help staff IROPs like this.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
StartngOvr is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Posts: 680
Default

Aren’t those added flights offset by taking over SWA’s gates sometime soon?


GP
GuardPolice is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartngOvr View Post
Anyone else get caught up in Boston yesterday? Total disaster with gate space and ramp control. Mine was one of multiple aircraft held out for gates over two hours. This was AFTER we had airborne holding, diverted, reboarded and continued to BOS. One 321 was begging for a lab service as legs were full to nearly overflowing. They wouldn’t even find a way to come dump the lavs off the gate somewhere.

By the time we got a gate and opened the door we were within 15-20 minutes of violating the three hour DOT tarmac rule.

To think we are going to add even more flying and make BOS a “hub” makes me think it won’t go well, especially without the resources of a pilot base there to help staff IROPs like this.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That can happen when you have thunderstorms generating hurricane force winds!

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...513449571.html

Last edited by sailingfun; 08-01-2019 at 02:13 PM.
sailingfun is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
StartngOvr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2014
Position: A320 DAL
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardPolice View Post
Aren’t those added flights offset by taking over SWA’s gates sometime soon?


GP


We’re going to get another four or five gates, yes. However, the blind alley and the fact that aircraft from three different terminals all have to funnel through the one exit point at spot 7 is a major bottleneck. Same inbound at spot 1. I’m sure network will avoid scheduling flights that all arrive or depart at roughly the same time though....

The station seems to always be understaffed as well, which I think adds to the problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
StartngOvr is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
StartngOvr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2014
Position: A320 DAL
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
That can happen when you have thunderstorms generating hurricane force winds!



https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...513449571.html


Yes, the weather was rough. But well after it cleared, is it reasonable that Delta was still trying to recover 7,8,9 hours after the system moved through? We were the only carrier affected this badly. B6 operates more flights than we do, and they had nothing like this going on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
StartngOvr is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #6  
veut gagner à la loterie
 
forgot to bid's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Light Chop
Posts: 22,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartngOvr View Post
Yes, the weather was rough. But well after it cleared, is it reasonable that Delta was still trying to recover 7,8,9 hours after the system moved through? We were the only carrier affected this badly. B6 operates more flights than we do, and they had nothing like this going on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We do business in Boston in a back-alleyway.

I think the cool moms say "that's what you get for doing business in a back-alleyway."
forgot to bid is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 10:40 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
WHACKMASTER's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: DOWNGRADE COMPLETE: Thanks Gary. Thanks SWAPA.
Posts: 2,731
Default

Yeah, your alley was all effed up last night. We got caught in it as well. Don’t get me wrong......I appreciate the overblock! $$$$
WHACKMASTER is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOS Commuting / Parking TallFlyer American 6 03-24-2019 09:23 AM
BOS Reserve 95wahoo JetBlue 61 01-21-2019 11:28 AM
FedEx BOS Terminal Transfer map76 FedEx 3 01-13-2016 01:43 PM
jetblue BOS domicile EagleInfused Major 10 06-14-2015 04:26 AM
BOS SAAB Pilots?? Prancinghorse Hiring News 25 01-30-2012 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:08 PM.