Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2021, 06:36 AM   #11  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Crown's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2016
Position: Not an RJ driver anymore
Posts: 561
Default

I for one am very pessimistic about the next 2-3 years. This coming from the eternal optimist...or at least mostly one.

Every time we seem to be turning a corner in this Covid fight, there's a doom and gloom headline out there. Just read one this morning that Michigan's cases are "skyrocketing". Every time with one of these headlines, the headline screams doom and gloom while the article, about 3-4 paragraphs down, mentions that the death rate from Covid is still decreasing even as cases seem to have stabilized.

Furthermore, the CDC director a few days ago said she had the feeling of "impending doom" coming. I do believe that's hyperbole, but how many average people out there believe what she's saying? How many government officials are going to listen to her, in the name of "science"?

Finally, until the mask mandate is gone (not just by jurisdiction or state, but gone gone), a lot of people will not want to travel. While I do give Biden a lot of credit for vaccine distribution, my personal feeling on this is he cannot claim victory over Covid until masks are gone. With that idiot Fauci constantly moving the goalposts (we don't need to beat it to death any more than we already have), I still see people in the airports wearing two masks, face shields, goggles, and sanitizing EVERYTHING.

My point is, my gut is telling me that the headlines for the next 12-18 months at least will be doom and gloom, trying to keep people indoors and away from their "normal" lifestyles. You're seeing a big pushback on it to be sure, but there's still plenty of people who are afraid of this Covid thing, and the media is doing us no favors.

I think we're all putting the cart before the horse thinking we're out of this.
Crown is offline  
Old 04-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #12  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GucciBoy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: Fetal
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown View Post
I for one am very pessimistic about the next 2-3 years. This coming from the eternal optimist...or at least mostly one.

Every time we seem to be turning a corner in this Covid fight, there's a doom and gloom headline out there. Just read one this morning that Michigan's cases are "skyrocketing". Every time with one of these headlines, the headline screams doom and gloom while the article, about 3-4 paragraphs down, mentions that the death rate from Covid is still decreasing even as cases seem to have stabilized.

Furthermore, the CDC director a few days ago said she had the feeling of "impending doom" coming. I do believe that's hyperbole, but how many average people out there believe what she's saying? How many government officials are going to listen to her, in the name of "science"?

Finally, until the mask mandate is gone (not just by jurisdiction or state, but gone gone), a lot of people will not want to travel. While I do give Biden a lot of credit for vaccine distribution, my personal feeling on this is he cannot claim victory over Covid until masks are gone. With that idiot Fauci constantly moving the goalposts (we don't need to beat it to death any more than we already have), I still see people in the airports wearing two masks, face shields, goggles, and sanitizing EVERYTHING.

My point is, my gut is telling me that the headlines for the next 12-18 months at least will be doom and gloom, trying to keep people indoors and away from their "normal" lifestyles. You're seeing a big pushback on it to be sure, but there's still plenty of people who are afraid of this Covid thing, and the media is doing us no favors.

I think we're all putting the cart before the horse thinking we're out of this.

A minimum of 30 million people have had COVID. There’s near universal agreement that the number is much higher. If we say that the infection rate is only twice as high as known cases, that’s still 60 million. Nearly 3 million people are getting a vaccine dose (or as Phins refers to it, “that poison”) every day. There won’t be anyone left to comprise a “4th wave”. It’s just math.
GucciBoy is offline  
Old 04-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Crown's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2016
Position: Not an RJ driver anymore
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciBoy View Post
A minimum of 30 million people have had COVID. There’s near universal agreement that the number is much higher. If we say that the infection rate is only twice as high as known cases, that’s still 60 million. Nearly 3 million people are getting a vaccine dose (or as Phins refers to it, “that poison”) every day. There won’t be anyone left to comprise a “4th wave”. It’s just math.
look I agree with you completely. I really do. But the media/government isn't pushing that narrative. Their narrative is still "you can infect people if you've been vaccinated" and "you can get infected if you've been vaccinated." Hard to open everything up when people are saying "what's the point?" My mother got screamed at for not wearing a mask outside walking down the street. She's had covid and has been vaccinated; yet the fear is in people, and not seeming to go away. I don't know.
Crown is offline  
Old 04-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #14  
Line Holder
 
GeneralLee's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2020
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsg View Post
All cars will be electric.

Jet fuel will collapse.

Air lines will print money.

Relax and enjoy. Massive profit sharing.

Best decade of your life.

Deep breaths.
I would have believed this with Trump in office. Not sure with Bi..err Harris running the show.
GeneralLee is offline  
Old 04-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #15  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GucciBoy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: Fetal
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLee View Post
I would have believed this with Trump in office. Not sure with Bi..err Harris running the show.

Vaccines, fiscal stimulus power U.S. employment; economy blooming

https://reut.rs/3ufZ50X
GucciBoy is offline  
Old 04-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
TegridyFarms's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2020
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown View Post
I for one am very pessimistic about the next 2-3 years. This coming from the eternal optimist...or at least mostly one.

Every time we seem to be turning a corner in this Covid fight, there's a doom and gloom headline out there. Just read one this morning that Michigan's cases are "skyrocketing". Every time with one of these headlines, the headline screams doom and gloom while the article, about 3-4 paragraphs down, mentions that the death rate from Covid is still decreasing even as cases seem to have stabilized.

Furthermore, the CDC director a few days ago said she had the feeling of "impending doom" coming. I do believe that's hyperbole, but how many average people out there believe what she's saying? How many government officials are going to listen to her, in the name of "science"?

Finally, until the mask mandate is gone (not just by jurisdiction or state, but gone gone), a lot of people will not want to travel. While I do give Biden a lot of credit for vaccine distribution, my personal feeling on this is he cannot claim victory over Covid until masks are gone. With that idiot Fauci constantly moving the goalposts (we don't need to beat it to death any more than we already have), I still see people in the airports wearing two masks, face shields, goggles, and sanitizing EVERYTHING.

My point is, my gut is telling me that the headlines for the next 12-18 months at least will be doom and gloom, trying to keep people indoors and away from their "normal" lifestyles. You're seeing a big pushback on it to be sure, but there's still plenty of people who are afraid of this Covid thing, and the media is doing us no favors.

I think we're all putting the cart before the horse thinking we're out of this.
All the same headline. Different news outlets to avoid being called a political bigot. “CDC says fully vaccinated people can travel with low risk.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/02/health/cdc-travel-guidance-fully-vaccinated-wellness/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/02/cdc-fully-vaccinated-may-travel/

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/cdc-fully-vaccinated-people-travel-low-risk
TegridyFarms is offline  
Old 04-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Crown's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2016
Position: Not an RJ driver anymore
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TegridyFarms View Post
All the same headline. Different news outlets to avoid being called a political bigot. “CDC says fully vaccinated people can travel with low risk.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/02/healt...ess/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ed-may-travel/

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/cdc-f...ravel-low-risk
I saw this just broke today, and my lord is it good news...not that I worried about needing the CDC's permission to travel. But there are plenty of people out there who "follow the science" and if the CDC gives the green light to do something, they'll do it. That's a monster relief
Crown is offline  
Old 04-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GogglesPisano's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: 73NA
Posts: 4,652
Default

Now if only Europe would get their act together.

I predict restriction-free travel between the US, Israel, and the the UK by summer (to join Iceland.)
GogglesPisano is offline  
Old 04-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #19  
Gets Weekends Off
 
JamesBond's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2015
Posts: 4,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciBoy View Post
Vaccines, fiscal stimulus power U.S. employment; economy blooming

https://reut.rs/3ufZ50X
LOL and you credit Xiden?

Please do tell what policies of his have led to this 'growth'.
JamesBond is offline  
Old 04-02-2021, 02:46 PM   #20  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GucciBoy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: Fetal
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
LOL and you credit Xiden?

Please do tell what policies of his have led to this 'growth'.

gzsg: Makes claims about robust economy

GeneralLee: Says he would’ve believed them if Trump had won, but it’s nothing going to happen under Biden

Me: Posts Reuters article that describes a recovering economy

You: Texts Phins and runs a couple of fun names by him, settles on Xiden. Assumes my post was some sort of pro-Biden post, not a post to show GeneralLee that he doesn’t have to “believe” anything, the numbers are out there.
GucciBoy is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Class Drops RedOverWhite JetBlue 1021 03-06-2020 11:12 PM
26K Airplane ATPs Out By 2025 Outlaw2097 Hangar Talk 7 06-17-2011 01:34 PM
Forecast for AA pilot retirements to 2025 bgmann Major 62 04-26-2010 12:08 PM
Alteon: Be A Commercial Pilot In Half The Time vagabond Major 3 04-30-2007 04:55 PM
Boeing 2025 favila008 Hangar Talk 0 11-14-2006 05:04 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:27 PM.