Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
theUpsideDown's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,740
Default Predicting the future

So, this might be better as a poll, but lets play a game. Monday, our CEO is gonna have to explain yet another holiday screwup on staffing. So what takes the blame? How does he phrase it?

Write up three half truths he'll tell. Winner gets a giant prize, bragging rights and everyone has to write recommendation letters for winner to apply for the ceo position when Ed gets canned.
I Think he'll hit three bullet points.
  • This weekend shows we have addressed some staffing issues but more work is to be done. As you know we had 300 cancellations for a smaller schedule. Now we only had 80 cancellations for a larger, more complex schedule.
  • We've already returned all our pilots to active status but we are experiencing a bottleneck on training as we've never had to do this before, and we're taking our commitment to the customers seriously
  • We will maintain our commitment to operation excellence.
theUpsideDown is offline  
Old 04-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Trip7's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theUpsideDown View Post
So, this might be better as a poll, but lets play a game. Monday, our CEO is gonna have to explain yet another holiday screwup on staffing. So what takes the blame? How does he phrase it?



Write up three half truths he'll tell. Winner gets a giant prize, bragging rights and everyone has to write recommendation letters for winner to apply for the ceo position when Ed gets canned.

I Think he'll hit three bullet points.
  • This weekend shows we have addressed some staffing issues but more work is to be done. As you know we had 300 cancellations for a smaller schedule. Now we only had 80 cancellations for a larger, more complex schedule.
  • We've already returned all our pilots to active status but we are experiencing a bottleneck on training as we've never had to do this before, and we're taking our commitment to the customers seriously
  • We will maintain our commitment to operation excellence.
This was the third major holiday in a row. Thanksgiving, Xmas, and Easter have been disasters. Memorial Day will be another disaster. The Cross Divisional Tiger team excuse won't work this time. If they were somewhat honest they would say we were overly conservative with our Pandemic recovery planning and are trying to catch back up.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Trip7 is offline  
Old 04-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
tennisguru's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: Pilot
Posts: 1,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip7 View Post
This was the third major holiday in a row. Thanksgiving, Xmas, and Easter have been disasters. Memorial Day will be another disaster. The Cross Divisional Tiger team excuse won't work this time. If they were somewhat honest they would say we were overly conservative with our Pandemic recovery planning and are trying to catch back up.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
That's literally all I want from them. Not some huge mea culpa detailed every dumb move they've done, and there's been lots of those, but it'd be incredibly refreshing for just a tiny amount of honesty and humility that while they tried to guess, their guess was wrong and they're just trying to readjust as quickly as they can. Part of what worries me over the short- to mid-term is their seeming complete unwillingness to actually admit what the root cause of all these holiday meltdowns have been. If they're unwilling or unable to even do that I have little faith in their ability to not keep stubbing their operational toes going forward.
tennisguru is offline  
Old 04-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #4  
Nonsense Spewer
 
Air Stang 7's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: In the corner using a lampshade as a hat.
Posts: 397
Default

We believe science is real, love is love, black lives matter, women's rights are human rights. Along with tons of other empty platitudes so it's fantastic!! Very stunning, very brave airline operation nobody will question.
Air Stang 7 is offline  
Old 04-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FL370esq's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Stang 7 View Post
We believe science is real, love is love, black lives matter, women's rights are human rights. Along with tons of other empty platitudes so it's fantastic!! Very stunning, very brave airline operation nobody will question.
Yup....and, despite all that beautiful goodness, we are gonna xcl the $&#t out of Memorial Day weekend. #Winning! #FireEd!
FL370esq is offline  
Old 04-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
DeltaboundRedux's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2020
Position: 81+ Million Votes!
Posts: 323
Default

Perusing the bio's of the Delta Board of Directors members would suggest that the current CEO will probably have plenty of support for recent public decisions. (Ex Coca-Cola, Home Depot, etc.) Ex very senior level US government types as well; there is a cultural zeitgeist that skews heavily in one direction at that level.

I don't pretend to understand Fortune 500 company boardroom politics in the least; however, no one gets to the top of a huge company without being very, very canny about climbing the greasy poll for decades. Don't sell the guy short.

I will say that our board appears to be extremely China friendly. That was a bit of a surprise.

This company's future is tied to the good fortunes and decisions of our CEO. For all our sakes, I wish him well.
DeltaboundRedux is offline  
Old 04-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #7  
Optimized
 
Phins2right's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: Gummed
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaboundRedux View Post
Perusing the bio's of the Delta Board of Directors members would suggest that the current CEO will probably have plenty of support for recent public decisions. (Ex Coca-Cola, Home Depot, etc.) Ex very senior level US government types as well; there is a cultural zeitgeist that skews heavily in one direction at that level.

I don't pretend to understand Fortune 500 company boardroom politics in the least; however, no one gets to the top of a huge company without being very, very canny about climbing the greasy poll for decades. Don't sell the guy short.

I will say that our board appears to be extremely China friendly. That was a bit of a surprise.

This company's future is tied to the good fortunes and decisions of our CEO. For all our sakes, I wish him well.
this is by design. The fortune 500 is following a path.

All part of the movement to corpocracy. Enjoy the ride to serfdom.

Ed is not going anywhere until he wants to.

Sad to see a great airline fail. I heard similar stories from my father when he was at Pan Am when the wheels were coming off with them.
Phins2right is offline  
Old 04-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
All 5 Stages's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaboundRedux View Post
Perusing the bio's of the Delta Board of Directors members would suggest that the current CEO will probably have plenty of support for recent public decisions. (Ex Coca-Cola, Home Depot, etc.) Ex very senior level US government types as well; there is a cultural zeitgeist that skews heavily in one direction at that level.

I don't pretend to understand Fortune 500 company boardroom politics in the least; however, no one gets to the top of a huge company without being very, very canny about climbing the greasy poll for decades. Don't sell the guy short.

I will say that our board appears to be extremely China friendly. That was a bit of a surprise.

This company's future is tied to the good fortunes and decisions of our CEO. For all our sakes, I wish him well.
Barbarians at the Gate is a fantastic read, although somewhat dated now, detailing the machinations inside of the board room. The CEO/CFO/BoD community seems quite incestuous -- everybody knows everybody, and they all sit on each other's boards.

I'm fairly certain not much has changed since its publication; probably just a bigger club now, including academia, ex-political appointees, and NGOs.

A5S
All 5 Stages is offline  
Old 04-05-2021, 03:47 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
theUpsideDown's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,740
Default AJC

“Delta teams have been working through various factors, including staffing, large numbers of employee vaccinations and pilots returning to active status," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is carrying this, I don't have an actual statement from Delta, so this is probably just emails over the weekend from Delta's PR to the AJC.

I got one prediction right, "pilots returning to active status". I should have guessed at the vaccines being pointed to. I assume the: “We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience, and the majority have been rebooked for the same travel day,” is saying 'hey this isn't as big as the last holiday screwup, we got same day service at least'.

A couple other groups have picked up the AJC, since there is no press release then media had no desire to publish a full statement. They just took whatever the AJC said, which is that access jounalism angle, and ran with it meaning Delta execs will dodge a bullet. The only way this is a bigger deal is if Republicans push some sort of "taxpayers paid for pilots and the company pocketed the money" and the narrative takes hold.

Maybe we get this sorted out soon and don't go for #4 screwup in a row.
theUpsideDown is offline  
Old 04-05-2021, 04:50 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
opt0712's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2012
Posts: 181
Default

They should just tell the truth: They messed up and let their employees sit at home too long on the taxpayer's dime, and got caught flat footed.
opt0712 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gambling on XJT and their future JetJock16 Regional 278 03-10-2017 02:03 PM
Investing for the future par8head Money Talk 31 12-23-2015 03:03 AM
Eagle's Future warriordriver Regional 36 07-10-2014 04:39 PM
The Financial Crisis and Future of America FloridaGator Hangar Talk 26 10-02-2008 10:24 AM
Merger Basics For the Future flyharm Mergers and Acquisitions 5 09-11-2008 05:08 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:32 PM.