Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major > Delta
DL Hiring: New Process >

DL Hiring: New Process

Notices

DL Hiring: New Process

Old 01-26-2022, 10:36 AM
  #1481  
Optimized
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 324
Default

I wanted to give a bit of perspective for the candidates out there. Iíve worked pilot interviews and can attest that the set up is pretty effective if you think about what our job entails.

The stress that you really want this job is the trigger to put you in a crunch situation that is having abnormalities on the line. Case in point, the sudoku with a timer. Donít let the timer rush you, work at your rate and correct answers matter - line flying equivalent of a QRH. Psych panel, donít think about the test as a whole, think about the question as itís own entity and youíll answer it honestly and be much more consistent. Line equivalent of a passenger issue, donít bring in outside influence, try to apply policy on the situation that is at hand. Your app is a preflight, attention to detail is of high importance, but if errors are made, admit a mistake, learn from it. Getting defensive with a check airmen about forgetting engine heat doesnít do you any favors, neither will arguing that your speeding ticket 5 years ago was because the cop was a jerk, you were speeding, just own up.

The interview team is trying to make sure your malleable enough to be the pilot delta wants, they are nervous as well because if they hire a problem child they created a 30-40 year problem for the company.

Good luck out there, Delta does reward persistence, a TBNT is not final.
Gooner is offline  
Old 01-26-2022, 11:30 AM
  #1482  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 2,279
Default

Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
I wanted to give a bit of perspective for the candidates out there. Iíve worked pilot interviews and can attest that the set up is pretty effective if you think about what our job entails.

The stress that you really want this job is the trigger to put you in a crunch situation that is having abnormalities on the line. Case in point, the sudoku with a timer. Donít let the timer rush you, work at your rate and correct answers matter - line flying equivalent of a QRH. Psych panel, donít think about the test as a whole, think about the question as itís own entity and youíll answer it honestly and be much more consistent. Line equivalent of a passenger issue, donít bring in outside influence, try to apply policy on the situation that is at hand. Your app is a preflight, attention to detail is of high importance, but if errors are made, admit a mistake, learn from it. Getting defensive with a check airmen about forgetting engine heat doesnít do you any favors, neither will arguing that your speeding ticket 5 years ago was because the cop was a jerk, you were speeding, just own up.

The interview team is trying to make sure your malleable enough to be the pilot delta wants, they are nervous as well because if they hire a problem child they created a 30-40 year problem for the company.

Good luck out there, Delta does reward persistence, a TBNT is not final.
Great perspective....sums it up nicely
Buck Rogers is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 06:12 AM
  #1483  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Is there someone on this thread that has worked in pilot selection (specifically as a part time interviewer, but full time would likely still know the answers) that would be willing to PM me? I am interested and have a few questions. Thanks!
Flyer119 is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 09:19 AM
  #1484  
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
 
Margaritaville's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,583
Default

Originally Posted by Flyer119 View Post
Is there someone on this thread that has worked in pilot selection (specifically as a part time interviewer, but full time would likely still know the answers) that would be willing to PM me? I am interested and have a few questions. Thanks!
Wow there's a trap if I ever saw one. SMH at some of the naive stuff I read on here.
Margaritaville is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 12:22 PM
  #1485  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat
Posts: 12,197
Default

Originally Posted by Flyer119 View Post
Is there someone on this thread that has worked in pilot selection (specifically as a part time interviewer, but full time would likely still know the answers) that would be willing to PM me? I am interested and have a few questions. Thanks!
Bless your heart for trying though!
gloopy is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 02:02 PM
  #1486  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: UNA
Posts: 3,400
Default

Originally Posted by Flyer119 View Post
Is there someone on this thread that has worked in pilot selection (specifically as a part time interviewer, but full time would likely still know the answers) that would be willing to PM me? I am interested and have a few questions. Thanks!
delta pilot recruitment FB page.
Gone Flying is online now  
Old 01-29-2022, 06:02 PM
  #1487  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Ok fair enough, Iíll clarify since my post was a little ambiguous. Iíve come up empty trying to search on this topic and I am interested in working in pilot selection and was hoping to get some candid feedback on the job from someone who has done it. Things like scheduling, parts of the job that you didnít anticipate for better or worse, etc. If there is someone willing to share their experience please let me know on PM.
Flyer119 is offline  
Old 01-29-2022, 06:28 PM
  #1488  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Big ones
Posts: 498
Default

Try the cpo
tripled is offline  
Old 01-31-2022, 05:50 PM
  #1489  
Gets Weekends Off
 
cessna157's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: Aeroplanes
Posts: 1,162
Default

Does anyone happen to know class frequency? I have heard at least 200/month, but how often are classes? Weekly? 2x/month?
cessna157 is offline  
Old 01-31-2022, 05:51 PM
  #1490  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Der Meister's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 320B
Posts: 864
Default

Originally Posted by cessna157 View Post
Does anyone happen to know class frequency? I have heard at least 200/month, but how often are classes? Weekly? 2x/month?
Running weekly at the moment I believe
Der Meister is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
GeeWizDriver
NetJets
1211
10-21-2022 11:15 AM
EUhoppa
Career Questions
10
07-22-2013 12:13 PM
sl0wr0ll3r
United
114
11-22-2010 04:40 PM
PistolP
Regional
12
11-22-2006 09:20 PM
Pylot
Hangar Talk
8
09-04-2006 06:13 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread