Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > > >
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #21  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: Right
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualAttitude View Post
Which jet?
currently sitting on the Bus
GoAroundFlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #22  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: Right
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
Sincere questions:
Why haven''t you taken the 1.5 year upgrade? more coin doing your current strategy? lifestyle?

How many trained and released to line flying 757 captains with a 1.5 year seniority? or is it really a longer period as F/O waiting for training? i.e what is DOH of the junior MEM 757 CPT bidding/flying as CPT
Thx
SD
I elected not to upgrade because I wanted to enjoy a little seniority for a bit. Bid mostly day flying or double dead head trips.

Like my post said guys were awarded the left seat of the 757 but haven't trained. But like the other guys said probably in the next year they will be.
GoAroundFlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:24 PM   #23  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2015
Position: FO of my house.
Posts: 191
Default

If you start on the 75 and then are awarded something different on a later bid, but have to wait to start training, are you paid at the new aircraft’s higher rate while you wait? Or do you keep getting paid the same until you train on the new metal?
GatorHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 PM   #24  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Adlerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 777F FO
Posts: 3,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
Sincere questions:
Why haven''t you taken the 1.5 year upgrade? more coin doing your current strategy? lifestyle?
SD
Most folks who crunch the numbers come to realize whatever pay raise they may see on paper is hardly worth it in terms of the QOL trade-off.

777 FO vs 757 C is usually a pay cut. 777 lines tend to pay more than 757 lines with equal days off. Once flown, 777 trips typically capture 4-6 more hours on top of their advertised pay. So, a 757 C (commuter) on reserve is going to get paid less than 1000 CH per year while working the max days each month. A 777 FO line-holder is going to probably going to get paid at least 1100 CH per year and have 2-3 days off extra each month. When you figure the pay per day it's eye-watering. A 777 FO who can hold 3 extra days of carryover each month can make the same as a reserve Captain on a domestic wide-body while working the same number of days. Even the domestic WB FOs can get pretty close to these numbers with a little carryover and schedule kung fu... and earn the extra coin on their own schedule and terms. Unless you're living in domicile, can hold your home town or can't even hold a WB line as an FO anyway, it's hard to justify the NB Captain numbers for the job those guys do.

How we get commuters who can't hold their home town or some other personal factor to bid the 757C seat is beyond me. Some guys just have to have those 4-stripes..... and they earn every penny to have them.
Adlerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #25  
Gets Weekends Off
 
tm602's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: Just a pilot
Posts: 380
Default

So what's the $4000/month new hire pay? Is that just during training or are 1st years FOs making $48,000?
tm602 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #26  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear Slinger
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm602 View Post
So what's the $4000/month new hire pay? Is that just during training or are 1st years FOs making $48,000?
$4,000/mo. is just for when you're in the school house during training and IOE. Once you're signed off for IOE, you're on first year pay for the rest of the year until your hire date anniversary. Plan on four months of training and eight months on year 1 pay.
NotMrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:22 AM   #27  
Fill'er Up Again
 
FrankTheTank's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Scarebus Captain
Posts: 839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Most folks who crunch the numbers come to realize whatever pay raise they may see on paper is hardly worth it in terms of the QOL trade-off.

777 FO vs 757 C is usually a pay cut. 777 lines tend to pay more than 757 lines with equal days off. Once flown, 777 trips typically capture 4-6 more hours on top of their advertised pay. So, a 757 C (commuter) on reserve is going to get paid less than 1000 CH per year while working the max days each month. A 777 FO line-holder is going to probably going to get paid at least 1100 CH per year and have 2-3 days off extra each month. When you figure the pay per day it's eye-watering. A 777 FO who can hold 3 extra days of carryover each month can make the same as a reserve Captain on a domestic wide-body while working the same number of days. Even the domestic WB FOs can get pretty close to these numbers with a little carryover and schedule kung fu... and earn the extra coin on their own schedule and terms. Unless you're living in domicile, can hold your home town or can't even hold a WB line as an FO anyway, it's hard to justify the NB Captain numbers for the job those guys do.

How we get commuters who can't hold their home town or some other personal factor to bid the 757C seat is beyond me. Some guys just have to have those 4-stripes..... and they earn every penny to have them.
There is a reason the bottom 10% of the bid packs are so junior. So I will agree with the QOL. But I disagree with the $ argument

You’re numbers don’t add up. I’ll use year 3 for example.
75C = 237K. 77F = 190K. With you’re 1000/1100 hour assumption
FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #28  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: B767
Posts: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank View Post
There is a reason the bottom 10% of the bid packs are so junior. So I will agree with the QOL. But I disagree with the $ argument

You’re numbers don’t add up. I’ll use year 3 for example.
75C = 237K. 77F = 190K. With you’re 1000/1100 hour assumption
Did you account for international override on the 777 numbers? Won’t close the gap but gets it a little closer.

UA
UnusualAttitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #29  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SaltyDog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal
Posts: 1,551
Default

Thanks for the responses gents.
Cheers
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #30  
Fill'er Up Again
 
FrankTheTank's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Scarebus Captain
Posts: 839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualAttitude View Post
Did you account for international override on the 777 numbers? Won’t close the gap but gets it a little closer.

UA
I didn’t. I just used raw pay rates. I was also too lazy to grab the contract so I just used the rates from this website..
FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FEDEX GM Supplier discount, Co. Code? Flaps50 Cargo 10 11-28-2014 12:48 PM
Airline Pilot pay justification nerd2009 Major 71 09-26-2010 01:19 AM
fredex attempts to blackmail the government nightrider Cargo 39 03-28-2009 06:26 AM
FedEx to Modernize Retirement Plans?!?!?!?! angry tanker Cargo 91 03-08-2007 08:56 AM
Mutiny on the FedEx truck Sasquatch Cargo 3 11-30-2005 07:42 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:02 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1